What's new

Watch straps..what should I pay?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've been looking to get a couple of replacement straps for 2 of my old Omegas, the Constellation from the '50s & the Seamaster gold dress watch from the '80s-'90s. The straps I have on them now are fairly inexpensive leather, probably around $20 or so from 15+ years ago. I'm looking to replace both with good quality leather, but not ridiculously expensive. One site I'm looking at has leather from about $25 to $400+. The $25 straps just don't look very good & $400 is about $250-300 more than I'm willing to pay for a watch strap.

Roughly what price should I be paying for a quality leather strap? I will consider regular leather, or exotics like gator, lizard, snake, ostrich.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
You can certainly blow several hundred bucks on alligator, and it will, eventually, prove not to have been such a bad investment because alligator wears like iron. Personally I think the sweet spot is Horween leather, aka Chromexcel. It wears like iron and is exceedingly attractive. An unlined Horween will run around $60, and a padded and stitched one will run about twice as much. Also, for a more casual stainless steel watch I am a fan of the cheap nylon straps in fun colors and stripes. They last an eternity. I use several that date to the early seventies or beyond and still look fine.

captp

I just remembered that Popov has watch straps, Horween Chromexcel. $49. Have to decide if I like the style.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm looking to replace both with good quality leather, but not ridiculously expensive.

I think you should be able to find something nice at under $100

Hirsch makes a good strap Leather Hirsch Straps - https://www.hirschstraps.com/collections/leather-hirsch-straps

I have a Rios1931 Russian leather on one of mine RIOS1931.com | USA | German Made Watch Straps - https://rios1931.com/

I've also had good luck with Di-Modell Di-Modell - https://di-modell.com/en/di-modell/?p=4

captp

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
At the low end, both Barton and Strapsco offer good selection and value. For better quality skins, there's always Rios and Di-Modell of Germany. Bros of Italy also does a nice job.

I generally equip all my leather straps with deployant clasps--something that is worth the extra expense if you buy a premium strap. Much less wear and tear on the straps; they stay looking good longer. Strapsco has a wide selection of styles and finishes, most of which go for less than $20.

At the low end, both Barton and Strapsco offer good selection and value. For better quality skins, there's always Rios and Di-Modell of Germany. Bros of Italy also does a nice job.

I generally equip all my leather straps with deployant clasps--something that is worth the extra expense if you buy a premium strap. Much less wear and tear on the straps; they stay looking good longer. Strapsco has a wide selection of styles and finishes, most of which go for less than $20.
I've heard this before. I always feel like my wrist size fluctuates throughout the day, and frequently adjust my straps up or down a hole. It's one of the issues I have with bracelets. I assume deployment clasps would have the same impact as not being easy to adjust during the day?

Reactions: ctr

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've heard this before. I always feel like my wrist size fluctuates throughout the day, and frequently adjust my straps up or down a hole. It's one of the issues I have with bracelets. I assume deployment clasps would have the same impact as not being easy to adjust during the day?
Deploys are not as easy to adjust as conventional tang buckles, but they can be adjusted. Some--butterfly types--seem to be more easily adjusted than others; they are certainly more readily adjustable than most bracelets.

I've had a lot of luck with KELARAN USA on ebay. Whenever I replace the leather straps on my vintage Hamiltons, I get their hand stitched straps. Good pricing and the straps get it done.

captp

I've had a lot of luck with KELARAN USA on ebay. Whenever I replace the leather straps on my vintage Hamiltons, I get their hand stitched straps. Good pricing and the straps get it done.
Thanks, I'll check them out

I think you should be able to find something nice at under $100

Hirsch makes a good strap Leather Hirsch Straps - https://www.hirschstraps.com/collections/leather-hirsch-straps

I have a Rios1931 Russian leather on one of mine RIOS1931.com | USA | German Made Watch Straps - https://rios1931.com/

I've also had good luck with Di-Modell Di-Modell - https://di-modell.com/en/di-modell/?p=4

+1 on Hirsch straps. They work just fine. I use them on some of my nice watches (e.g., Omega, Breitling) when I want a change of pace.

Just replaced the metal band for a black aftermarket leather one on my Omega speedmaster I believe I paid $30 for it fits perfectly the original ones are close to $180
20211002_165221.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's an Omega "pie pan" dial Constellation (especially in solid gold or gold capped), I think it calls out for an alligator strap. Dark brown in matte belly scales would be stunning. The cheapest I would get would be the Hadley Roma version, but if you were willing to go over $300, something from Jean Rousseau would be amazing, custom, and you would have it for decades (unless it's an everyday watch). I'd also probably add a deployant to extend the life even more. The regular calf Hadleys aren't bad for the money either, you just don't get a lot of choices (stitching, color, finish, padding, etc.).

captp

@HazenPingree unfortunately not a Pie Pan. 20+ years ago, when I got the Constellation, there was no way I could afford a Pie Pan, which was probably 3 times the price of the one I got. But, I agree, it would look great in brown alligator. I will look into the ones you mention.
Thanks

Top Bottom