What's new

AR sight recommend

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
OKS

I hear you. If it was just the thread drift, I might have left it in place. Certainly in the sub 500 space it was a great value because it was usable out of the box without a dedicated mount etc.

The AA model particularly liked fresh batteries and needed the spring/eraser mod for max reliability v. the CR123 model whose battery was seated across the cross v. in line with the gun and its recoil impulses. I had the AA one.

Battery life relative to the Aimpoint and my personal vision issues were all in the mix as well. I candidly acknowledge that if I carried a rifle for a living, I would be replacing those every mission to 1st fri of the month depending on application as opposed to the 1x a yr with an Aimpoint.

If astigmatism is not in play (where for me the 65 MOA reticle seems very pixelated), that 65 MOA reticle the 1 moa dot is very versatile and can give the shooter a ton of feedback/holdover info.

Good post David.

My doctor tells me I have astigmatism's in both eyes. From what I understand, an astigmatism is where our eyeball is shaped like an egg? My eye doctor tells me, one of my eyes the large side of the egg is facing out and the small side of the egg is facing in. And my other eye is the opposite, where the small side of the egg is facing out while the large side is facing in.

I have heard that diode generated Red Dot's like brands from Aimpoints and Trijicon's are much better for Astimagtism's versus the pixilated holographic projection's of sights like the Eotech. I think the LPVO will provide the variable magnification I'm looking for, while still providing enough illumination for lower light. And the offset dot, will help provide and strengthen the areas where the LPVO is weak and lacking, like increased options in tactical, postional mobility a bright dot for daylight hours, along with the quick CQB transition instead of having to depend on powering down the LVPO.

My Colt LE6920 has a single lightweight red dot, tac-light and sling. It's a perfect, lightweight basic set up. For my LWRC, if I can just get a viable lightweight LVPO, I think with a Scalarworks mount, a Deltapoint Pro on a small offset mount with my very light Inforce light, I may just get a very versatile AR that can be very effective from close up and with it's match grade heavy fluted barrel even further out then 300, and keep it as lightweight as the Colt. :)

This is my goal anyway.

Good post David.

My doctor tells me I have astigmatism's in both eyes. From what I understand, an astigmatism is where our eyeball is shaped like an egg? My eye doctor tells me, one of my eyes the large side of the egg is facing out and the small side of the egg is facing in. And my other eye is the opposite, where the small side of the egg is facing out while the large side is facing in.

I have heard that diode generated Red Dot's like brands from Aimpoints and Trijicon's are much better for Astimagtism's versus the pixilated holographic projection's of sights like the Eotech. I think the LPVO will provide the variable magnification I'm looking for, while still providing enough illumination for lower light. And the offset dot, will help provide and strengthen the areas where the LPVO is weak and lacking, like increased options in tactical, postional mobility a bright dot for daylight hours, along with the quick CQB transition instead of having to depend on powering down the LVPO.

My Colt LE6920 has a single lightweight red dot, tac-light and sling. It's a perfect, lightweight basic set up. For my LWRC, if I can just get a viable lightweight LVPO, I think with a Scalarworks mount, a Deltapoint Pro on a small offset mount with my very light Inforce light, I may just get a very versatile AR that can be very effective from close up and with it's match grade heavy fluted barrel even further out then 300, and keep it as lightweight as the Colt. :)

This is my goal anyway.

Astigmatisms (I have one) cause circles to be seen as ellipses, due to the eye being out of round(egg shaped)..

My problem is exacerbated with karatoconus. The surface of my cornea looks like a mountain range. I see a point of light as several points. Now…which dot is the real red dot? This is another reason I’m leaning toward something that allows pure optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Astigmatisms (I have one) cause circles to be seen as ellipses, due to the eye being out of round(egg shaped)..

My problem is exacerbated with karatoconus. The surface of my cornea looks like a mountain range. I see a point of light as several points. Now…which dot is the real red dot? This is another reason I’m leaning toward something that allows pure optics.

I'm tellin' ya, when these young up & comers are looking for expert advice on sights, optics, scopes & dots? They need to look no further then the expert advice we give, which comes from the crucible of living with ageing eyeballs, while still trying to stay operational and viable with our firearms. :)

OkieStubble

I too have an astigmatism, I have to adjust the intensity of any red dot to reduce the asymmetry and fuzziness of said dot. Doesn't make for precise shooting at longer ranges.

This is soooo, true. I had to keep my Eotech at such a low level of brightness so the off glare didn't wash out my sight picture, but then had to worry about it not being daylight bright, or severe pixelation.

When the medical community, finally introduces the convenience of drive-thru transplants? I will take my new set of eyeballs in baby blue color. Then, I can go to the beach; and put on a blonde wig and lay out in the sun and watch white people walk up to me and say, "hey man, you need to turn over." ;)

This is soooo, true. I had to keep my Eotech at such a low level of brightness so the off glare didn't wash out my sight picture, but then had to worry about it not being daylight bright, or severe pixelation.

When the medical community, finally introduces the convenience of drive-thru transplants? I will take my new set of eyeballs in baby blue color. Then, I can go to the beach; and put on a blonde wig and lay out in the sun and watch white people walk up to me and say, "hey man, you need to turn over." ;)

LOL. I’m almost anxious for cataract surgery.

Or ask what tanning salon you have been using all year!!!!!!!!!!!

OkieStubble

Or ask what tanning salon you have been using all year!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol’d. A friend of mine always says, white folk are always trying to get darker in the sun while us black folk are always trying to stay out of the sun to keep from getting darker.

“ the things that make you go, huhmmmm…”. -Arsenio Hall

:)

By the time you put an LPVO in some rings, anything worth having is probably a 400.00 proposition bare min., again validating an old axim that any decent scope "system" is at least 1/2 of the price relative to the rifle.

This seems like good value for a 1x6 with an etched reticle/a red dot "backup" and a mounting set up all in one pkg.

Good write up off the points made to date LPVO v red dot (red dot + magnifier).

OKS- a slight aside

I know a ton of folks in the Scouting/Training community who have settled on these to keep the sun off

The Cadillac version of these is what I used for 10.5 days at Philmont-1 shirt/4.2 oz total.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's a great thread, because the best red dot is always changing. :001_unsur As is my own lamentable middle aged vision.

Loved irons and peep sights as a child / younger man. And military iron sights.

:cuppa: I can still shoot those sights ... but the target has to be huuuuuuuge! :001_unsur And it has to be noon ... on the equator ... or there isn't enough light. Either.

AA

Nortac:

I think you are spot on. If and when, I configure another rifle, the first decision is the LPVO/mount/rings set up.

Just as the next pistol purchase really needs to factor in the mounting of an RDS i.e. Glock MOS.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I mounted both of my Shepherd LPVOs in QD mounts, one a LaRue and the other an ADM, both have been very solid and satisfactory.

OkieStubble

I mounted both of my Shepherd LPVOs in QD mounts, one a LaRue and the other an ADM, both have been very solid and satisfactory.

As far as trying to get a quality mount as light as possible, if I didn’t want to spend Scalarworks money, I definitely would be looking at LaRue. Great company with great kit.

OkieStubble

By the time you put an LPVO in some rings, anything worth having is probably a 400.00 proposition bare min., again validating an old axim that any decent scope "system" is at least 1/2 of the price relative to the rifle.

This seems like good value for a 1x6 with an etched reticle/a red dot "backup" and a mounting set up all in one pkg.

Good write up off the points made to date LPVO v red dot (red dot + magnifier).

OKS- a slight aside

I know a ton of folks in the Scouting/Training community who have settled on these to keep the sun off

The Cadillac version of these is what I used for 10.5 days at Philmont-1 shirt/4.2 oz total.

I have looked at that Burris set up with the red dot on top of the rings. The reason I chose going with an offset mount is because it will allow me to keep my chin on the stock and have more points of contact with the rifle for stability and accuracy.

The top mounted dot makes you have to pull your head, up and off the rifle. Not as stable with the muzzle rocking up and down under recoil.

OkieStubble

@nortac Wow. I was unaware of Scalarworks before your post. Very, very cool! I want some!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, their LEAP07 is to die for. However, they and other companies manufacturing lightweight mounts, need to hear the clamoring masses screaming for a 1.7 height mount and quit ignoring us.

The only company I know offering a 1.7 is Badger’s C.O.M.M. A do everything rifle needs do everything glass. And that glass needs a mount that can do everything. :)

A standard 1.57 is great for proning out and getting low behind the gun. But get up and start taking standing or shots while moving? Not so much.

The scrunched neck and humped back begins to fatigue very quickly. However, go get a taller mount in 1.93 which will get your glass up higher with a more straight up and heads up CQB position so you can run & gun like an Eotech?

It will feel really good and natural until? The minute you have to lay down and go prone.

Then you have to stretch and fatigue your neck and back again, while trying to keep your elbows on the ground at the same time you’re breaking and losing a good solid cheek weld because you are trying to tip toe your eyeball up into the eye box. :)

these companies need to offer an in between 1.7 it’s just that simple. And there needs to be more selection of lightweight mounts that quick detach.

Other then Scalarworks 5 ounce mount which is expensive and doesn’t have a 1.7 option, Aero Precision’s ultra lightweight is awesome, if they offered a QD, which they don’t. Nor do they have a 1.7. It’s nuts! And frustrating.

Badger has a decent quality 1.7 that I probably will be forced to go with, but it is a whopping 8.6 ounces?

I am thinking about going ahead and pulling the trigger on a Primary Arms Slx Raptor in 1x6. It comes in at only 17.6 ounces, has an illuminated ACSS reticle which is pretty cool and a decent eye box in First Focal for the mere price of $399?

Sounds too good to be true doesn’t it? Probably is. But at least I can get the rifle up and running until my Unicorn gets invented. :)

But man, that 8.6 mount in 1.7 is going to turn that 17.6 ounce scope into a fat 26.2. Without the offset! :(

Last edited:
So what are the mounts with MOA options referring to? Surely the scope should be parallel to the barrel, so I’m guessing it isn’t minute of angle.

OkieStubble

So what are the mounts with MOA options referring to? Surely the scope should be parallel to the barrel, so I’m guessing it isn’t minute of angle.

This link can probably explain it better and with less type than I can. :)
While it mentions a 20MOA, you can get 0 base and even 40 base mounts. It just all depends on what scope, you have and what it can do and how far you want to shoot with it. :)

This link can probably explain it better and with less type than. I can. :)
While it mentions a 20MOA, you can get 0 base and even 40 base mounts. It just all depends on what scope, you have and what it can do and how far you want to shoot with it. :)

Thanks. It’s for lobbing really long range shots. Point the scope up more when exceeding the reticle’s mechanical range limit.

Top Bottom