What's new

Open comb slant; the best of both worlds?

Good morning to all the fellow shavers.

As most of you know, I’m in the market for the 39c Sledgehammer. However after doing some extensive research about DE razors I have noticed a couple that are a hybrid of a slant and open comb. Has anyone used this kind of razor and. If so how did you find it?

Here is one example:
1632132170567.jpeg

Jason.

You’ll find that razor, the FOCS, to be a favorite in this thread:

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 4 | 2021

Good morning to all the fellow shavers.

As most of you know, I’m in the market for the 39c Sledgehammer. However after doing some extensive research about DE razors I have noticed a couple that are a hybrid of a slant and open comb. Has anyone used this kind of razor and. If so how did you find it?

Here is one example:
View attachment 1331368
Jason.
Good morning,
I personally own a yaqi Agamemnon slant which is sort of a hybrid between safety bar and an open comb top cap. For me I enjoy the razor it's about the 2nd or third most efficient slant i last checked. I also have the yaqi beast and shaving wise they are both very efficient only the slant is a bit smoother. The little research i did kinda tells me a slant versus a regular de really is just sorta a gimmick. If you flick your de mid swipe you can get the same angular slicing a slant offers. As far as the open comb option I prefer it as it leaves trails of shaving cream behind making it a smoother experience. Also the yaqi beast is a double open comb as well. Well that's my take anyway hope it helps!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use mostly vintage open comb razors but also have a cased Hoffritz solid bar slant which I use occasionally. I find no benefit whatsoever in the slant configuration although it works fine; the only reason I do not sell the Hoffritz is because it is a beautiful razor. I do not think that adding a slant to my open comb razors would improve them.

Yes, the Fatip open comb slant that you pictured is very much worth your while. Great price, made of brass, and filled with Italian style and elegance. It is a smooth and efficient and fun razor to use. Be aware that it will not have the heft of the sledgehammer. Do not get the piccolo handle if you do not want a smaller handle.

Thanks to all for your replies. I have considered each and every one. My birthday is September 27th and I am really looking forward to go razor shopping with my wife on that date. Even my wife likes the Sledgehammer as well and she wants to give it a go on her legs. I can hardly wait!

Jason.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The handle on the slant you displayed is much smaller than the one on what portends to be your birthday present. I suspect if you learn the ins and outs of the Sledghammer and leave all your wonders about other razors in the realm of idle speculation, you’ll be able to have predictably close and smooth shaves sooner and more consistently than those of us who’ve made the mistake of treating shaving gear like trading cards.

That’s less money, time, space, and plastic wrapping and burnt petrol in addition to proper and smug feelings of satisfaction all from mastering one razor with a handle built for your hands.

The Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS) is a very highly regarded and much beloved razor in these forums. It has gathered much praise from some of the most respected and most experienced members in here.

I gave the original Fatip slants a shot, both in the OC and the SB configurations. I tried to like them, I really tried my best, but they simply did not work for me. Keep in mind that one of my all-time favorite razors is the regular, non-slant Fatip OC (I prefer the Piccolo, but many people seem to favor the Grande. Same razor, different handles).

I ended up passing mine to a cousin and a brother-in-law and they seem to be enjoying them quite a lot!

It is very reasonably priced, so it might be worth giving it a try. You might end up like the majority of the people in here loving and enjoying your FOCS very much! Sadly, I seem to fall with the exception rather than the rule with this one… I still enjoy my regular, non-slant OC Fatips very much!

Good luck!

...I gave the original Fatip slants a shot, both in the OC and the SB configurations. I tried to like them, I really tried my best, but they simply did not work for me. Keep in mind that one of my all-time favorite razors is the regular, non-slant Fatip OC...
The standard Fatip OC and the Slant OC seem to shave pretty similarly to me, what was it about the slant version that you didn't like?

You might like the Schone, if you can find one.

The handle on the slant you displayed is much smaller than the one on what portends to be your birthday present. I suspect if you learn the ins and outs of the Sledghammer and leave all your wonders about other razors in the realm of idle speculation, you’ll be able to have predictably close and smooth shaves sooner and more consistently than those of us who’ve made the mistake of treating shaving gear like trading cards.

That’s less money, time, space, and plastic wrapping and burnt petrol in addition to proper and smug feelings of satisfaction all from mastering one razor with a handle built for your hands.

Thats exactly what I had in mind. I just want one razor that ticks all the right boxes. And as mentioned before another reason to change to a DE razor was to cut down on the use of plastic which in this day and age is very important. I am not interested in collecting different razors; I just want ONE razor to last me a lifetime and do a really good job. Hence my wife and I visiting the shaving shops on my birthday, so I can get a feel of the different razors before making my final choice.

Jason.

No she won’t. He’ll need to change blades more often and sort out any inner ear issues so he doesn’t fall out of the shower.
Inner ear issues? What are you talking about?! Anyway I said if my wife wants to borrow my new razor I'll just put a new blade in it for her and take the blade out when she is finished!

Jason.

Thanks to all for your replies. I have considered each and every one. My birthday is September 27th and I am really looking forward to go razor shopping with my wife on that date. Even my wife likes the Sledgehammer as well and she wants to give it a go on her legs. I can hardly wait!

Jason.
The Merkur Sledgehammer may be overkill for shaving legs. But what do I know? I've never shaved my legs.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Inner ear issues? What are you talking about?!

Balance issues when you’re not the only person in the bathtub or shower stall. Impressing one’s bride is not the time you want to discover having vertigo.

I've never shaved my legs.

In the anonymity of cyberspace, we can all do well at “Never Have I Ever.”

But if you truly haven’t, this is probably the last week before next Summer when the weather won’t make you regret it. Also, go for broke. Unless you swim for an Olympic team, the concept of a “socially acceptable shave” might go out the window.

The standard Fatip OC and the Slant OC seem to shave pretty similarly to me, what was it about the slant version that you didn't like?

You might like the Schone, if you can find one.

I think you are quite right, the regular and the slant Fatip OC have very similar shaving characteristics. Both are very smooth and quite efficient. My issues had more to do with the geometry of the head of the slant version. I just wasn't confortable with it, couldn't get it to work for me, if that makes any sense... I had to pay too much more attention when doing my sideburns (was always scared that they would end up slanted, lol!) and the razor was much harder to use than his non-slanted twin under my nose and under my chin. After a few weeks of trying I just told myself, why even bother? Especially since I enjoy the regular Piccolo so much... The people I passed these razors to seem to be enjoying them quite a lot, so I'm sure they are very good razors, just not for me (slants in general I think).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think you are quite right, the regular and the slant Fatip OC have very similar shaving characteristics. Both are very smooth and quite efficient. My issues had more to do with the geometry of the head of the slant version. I just wasn't confortable with it, couldn't get it to work for me, if that makes any sense... I had to pay too much more attention when doing my sideburns (was always scared that they would end up slanted, lol!) and the razor was much harder to use than his non-slanted twin under my nose and under my chin. After a few weeks of trying I just told myself, why even bother? Especially since I enjoy the regular Piccolo so much... The people I passed these razors to seem to be enjoying them quite a lot, so I'm sure they are very good razors, just not for me (slants in general I think).
I only have one slant, the RR German 37 or whatever it's called. Zamak head. An overall GREAT shaving experience, and quite different from any other DE I own.

My only problem with it is that it is kinda boring to use.

One BIG plus: I don't think I have found a blade that doesn't work REALLY well in it. I'm not sure if that is the case with all Slant types, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd like to take an old Gillette and twist it to see what would happen. I'll bet it's out of my skill set, but I do believe friend @Tanuki has one that he has used, and enjoys!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well, to tackle the terminology, it's simply an "open comb slant" as the Merkur 39 you're considering is a "solid bar slant." I've heard "hybrid" used as a reference to those razors with OC on one side and SB on the other.

Open combs can be more efficient, but that's not the whole story. There are SB razors that can lay a lot of OCs in the shade, like the RazoRock Wunderbar.

I do understand that you're not in need of more than one good razor. Problem is (for me, anyway) that since there are so many variables in the shaving process, you may end up trying a group of razors as you gradually narrow down to what works for your own particular face. So don't be wrapped up in process! Try as many as you need to, then sell them off or PIF them to someone.

I had a friend who just wanted a comfortable seat for his motorcycle. By the time he finally got the custom seat that made him happy, he had collected 14 other saddles, some of them also custom. It's just to say that you may find the search a little messier than you thought it would be, but that's not a reason to stop out on it.

We'll be interested to hear how it's going! :popc:

O.H.

Top Bottom