What's new

AR sight recommend

I'd like to see some, not neccessarily "torture tests" but maybe some reviews of it not getting babied under use?

I’ve had one on my EDC since 12/2/19. I’ve never felt that it wasn’t up to it. Granted, it’s not CQB, but then, I don’t throw my guns at concrete. I wouldn’t trust the Holosuns to that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I’ve had one on my EDC since 12/2/19. I’ve never felt that it wasn’t up to it. Granted, it’s not CQB, but then, I don’t throw my guns at concrete. I wouldn’t trust the Holosuns to that either.

I have seen some tough test reviews on some Holosun models and they held up surprisingly well. I need to search 'the Tube' and see what I can find on the SRO. I mean, it is Trijicon and just having that name, definitely means something. Trijicon says to go with the RMR if looking for military grade. They didn't say, the SRO wasn't a tough optic.

I agree with you, the SRO is most likely, more then capable of putting up with anything civilian users would dish out.

I have seen some tough test reviews on some Holosun models and they held up surprisingly well. I need to search 'the Tube' and see what I can find on the SRO. I mean, it is Trijicon and just having that name, definitely means something. Trijicon says to go with the RMR if looking for military grade. They didn't say, the SRO wasn't a tough optic.

I agree with you, the SRO is most likely, more then capable of putting up with anything civilian users would dish out.

I’d want an RMR in a combat situation, because it is built like a tank. I’d probably get really good at using the smaller objective too.

I’ll never warm up to having to remove and replace it in order to change the battery. However, with a bore sight, I am getting really good at zeroing a red dot at 10 yards.

OkieStubble

I’d want an RMR in a combat situation, because it is built like a tank. I’d probably get really good at using the smaller objective too.

I’ll never warm up to having to remove and replace it in order to change the battery. However, with a bore sight, I am getting really good at zeroing a red dot at 10 yards.

Yeah, that underneath battery is a pain. I also, don't really like the blue tint of an RMR window. I like that big ole' honkin' SRO sitting on your Walther. Reminds me of Karl Malden's or Jimmy Durante's noses. They were things of beauty to the ones who loved them and mattered. ;)

Yeah, that underneath battery is a pain. I also, don't really like the blue tint of an RMR window. I like that big ole' honkin' SRO sitting on your Walther. Reminds me of Karl Malden's or Jimmy Durante's noses. They were things of beauty to the ones who loved them and mattered. ;)

Too funny! I actually like it’s dominating look too. It’s a pleasure to shoot as well. The drawback on the Q4 is the lack of cowitness sights.

Walther made a plate with a rear cowitness sight, but took it off the market. Maybe because it moved the sight forward and became a holster manufacturer’s nightmare? I didn’t buy one, because the sights were black.

I only want a tritium suppressor height front sight to help me bear down in the dark. I have one on my VP9 and in the dark, I push that sight towards the target and the Holosun dot (2 MOA) just snaps into position. With the 32MOA reticle, it is crazy easy to find.

OkieStubble

Too funny! I actually like it’s dominating look too. It’s a pleasure to shoot as well. The drawback on the Q4 is the lack of cowitness sights.

Walther made a plate with a rear cowitness sight, but took it off the market. Maybe because it moved the sight forward and became a holster manufacturer’s nightmare? I didn’t buy one, because the sights were black.

I only want a tritium suppressor height front sight to help me bear down in the dark. I have one on my VP9 and in the dark, I push that sight towards the target and the Holosun dot (2 MOA) just snaps into position. With the 32MOA reticle, it is crazy easy to find.

I don't have any RDS topped pistols yet, but I'm thinkin' Why wouldn't I like a 1/3 co-witness instead of suppressor height sights? Alot like many do with AR's?

Last edited:
I don't have any RDS topped pistols yet, but I'm thinkin' Why wouldn't I like a 1/3 co-witness instead of supressor height sights? Alot like many do with AR's?

I don’t know whether the geometry is the same. On my M&P CORE, when the white dots align, they are just above the Top of the SRO/RMR. Also, the red dot is smack dab in the center of the front sight’s white dot. Maybe the sights aren’t truly suppressor height.

random responses:

I used to use a EO Tech but sold it back after their their drifting debacle and bought the Aimpoint Pro. I had the AA model that I had "modded" with a bit of earaser if IIRC correctly to better maintain battery contact under recoil.

As my astigmatism has gotten worse, a less busy reticle is better for me.

Many folks have used a 3x mag with either an EO-Tech or an Aimpoint to good use as the 5.56 version of the platform starts to wane considerably as you get out past 300 with most loads in most hands.

I too have waited for the magic LPVO given, weight, reliability, clarity, true 1x power, cost, country of origin or some combo thereof. I suspect that if I was really in the business of needing a rifle, I would have bought one by now as they are game changers for high accuracy shots and/or shots under less than idea conditions.

I would probably sacrifice weight to maximize reliability/repeatability. Vortex seems to exceed the intersection of quality and value. Leupold does seem to be resting on its laurels though the made in the USA/lifetime warranty coverage they have historically are values to me all their own. I ran a 1.5 -5 on a FAL years ago and loved it on 8 inch plates and poppers out to 500.

I too have flirted with a RDS on a pistol but have yet to pull the trigger. While I acknowledge Holosun is putting out some excellent stuff, I am not feeding the mainland chinese monster if it can be helped. I suspect that my next "tactical" present to myself will be the second gen Aimpoint Acro and a Glock MOS of some flavor.

random responses:

I used to use a EO Tech but sold it back after their their drifting debacle and bought the Aimpoint Pro. I had the AA model that I had "modded" with a bit of earaser if IIRC correctly to better maintain battery contact under recoil.

As my astigmatism has gotten worse, a less busy reticle is better for me.

Many folks have used a 3x mag with either an EO-Tech or an Aimpoint to good use as the 5.56 version of the platform starts to wane considerably as you get out past 300 with most loads in most hands.

I too have waited for the magic LPVO given, weight, reliability, clarity, true 1x power, cost, country of origin or some combo thereof. I suspect that if I was really in the business of needing a rifle, I would have bought one by now as they are game changers for high accuracy shots and/or shots under less than idea conditions.

I would probably sacrifice weight to maximize reliability/repeatability. Vortex seems to exceed the intersection of quality and value. Leupold does seem to be resting on its laurels though the made in the USA/lifetime warranty coverage they have historically are values to me all their own. I ran a 1.5 -5 on a FAL years ago and loved it on 8 inch plates and poppers out to 500.

I too have flirted with a RDS on a pistol but have yet to pull the trigger. While I acknowledge Holosun is putting out some excellent stuff, I am not feeding the mainland chinese monster if it can be helped. I suspect that my next "tactical" present to myself will be the second gen Aimpoint Acro and a Glock MOS of some flavor.

The drift is why I am no longer enamored with my Eotech.

The Holosun has a reticle which makes it very easy to use in the dark. Other than that, I’ll bite the bullet and stick with Trijicon, which is my EDC.

The Shepherd looks really nice price/value/features. It’s probably all I’d need, but I should consider LPVO

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I use my Shepherd primarily as a range/competition optic. Other than the non true 1X, the other issue I have identified is that the intensity of the illuminated portion of the reticle dims over time as it is left on over time. In other words, if during a shooting match, I leave the illumination on as the rifle rests in the rack between stages, it looses intensity. But, if I turn it off between stages, intensity of illumination is there when I turn it on. Even if I forget and the intensity fades, if I turn it off and turn it on again, the prior intensity returns.

OkieStubble

I think Eotech’s reticle drift trouble, was over reacted to. Two Marines had reticle drift with their Eotech’s on record. One in the sandbox in Iraq with 130 degree heat and another in Afghanistan in 40 below way up in the Kush mountains, and every American civilian in the lower 48, ran to have their Eotech’s bought back.

I was one of the few who never blinked and kept running and gunning the crap out of my XPS-2 in the harsh summers and winters of Oklahoma with no problems.

Weather extremes doesn’t get much tougher in the lower 48 then Okieland, but I have never experienced 140 degree Fahrenheit or -40 below yet. And those two things was what showed Eotech’s design flaws with their reticle drift.

I actually sold my Eotech and Magnifier for close to the $1K I originally paid for it to an Iraq and Afghan Vet who was well aware of the recall drama.

I think @nortac’s Shepherd’s scope with its awesome reticle and 18.5 ounces of weight along with its HD glass and $600-$700 price tag would probably be the best scope in all categories if I get tired of my seemingly impossible search for the fountain of youth LPVO I have been holding out for. :)

I can’t see spending almost $2000 on a Razor and it still comes in at a whopping fat *** weight of 24 ounces without a mount. For the money, Leupold’s history of lightweights and great glass has served them well, even though their reticles and magnification ranges have left millions of AR owners dissatisfied.

I guess I’m still holding out for that next generation of future Leupold design engineers to graduate college and get busy updating their stuff. :)

I might just go grab a cheap Primary Arms with their very usable reticle and throw it on top to at least have something up there, until my Unicorn can be found.

OkieStubble

I use my Shepherd primarily as a range/competition optic. Other than the non true 1X, the other issue I have identified is that the intensity of the illuminated portion of the reticle dims over time as it is left on over time. In other words, if during a shooting match, I leave the illumination on as the rifle rests in the rack between stages, it looses intensity. But, if I turn it off between stages, intensity of illumination is there when I turn it on. Even if I forget and the intensity fades, if I turn it off and turn it on again, the prior intensity returns.

Good post. That design flaw where the filament warms up in the reticle and starts washing out the brightness of the illumination is a industry wide trouble spot for all brands with illuminating reticles.

The brightness is always better when the reticle filament is cooler.

OKS

I hear you. If it was just the thread drift, I might have left it in place. Certainly in the sub 500 space it was a great value because it was usable out of the box without a dedicated mount etc.

The AA model particularly liked fresh batteries and needed the spring/eraser mod for max reliability v. the CR123 model whose battery was seated across the cross v. in line with the gun and its recoil impulses. I had the AA one.

Battery life relative to the Aimpoint and my personal vision issues were all in the mix as well. I candidly acknowledge that if I carried a rifle for a living, I would be replacing those every mission to 1st fri of the month depending on application as opposed to the 1x a yr with an Aimpoint.

If astigmatism is not in play (where for me the 65 MOA reticle seems very pixelated), that 65 MOA reticle the 1 moa dot is very versatile and can give the shooter a ton of feedback/holdover info.

I think Eotech’s reticle drift trouble, was over reacted to. Two Marines had reticle drift with their Eotech’s on record. One in the sandbox in Iraq with 130 degree heat and another in Afghanistan in 40 below way up in the Kush mountains, and every American civilian in the lower 48, ran to have their Eotech’s bought back.

I was one of the few who never blinked and kept running and gunning the crap out of my XPS-2 in the harsh summers and winters of Oklahoma with no problems.

Weather extremes doesn’t get much tougher in the lower 48 then Okieland, but I have never experienced 140 degree Fahrenheit or -40 below yet. And those two things was what showed Eotech’s design flaws with their reticle drift.

I actually sold my Eotech and Magnifier for close to the $1K I originally paid for it to an Iraq and Afghan Vet who was well aware of the recall drama.

I think @nortac’s Shepherd’s scope with its awesome reticle and 18.5 ounces of weight along with its HD glass and $600-$700 price tag would probably be the best scope in all categories if I get tired of my seemingly impossible search for the fountain of youth LPVO I have been holding out for. :)

I can’t see spending almost $2000 on a Razor and it still comes in at a whopping fat *** weight of 24 ounces without a mount. For the money, Leupold’s history of lightweights and great glass has served them well, even though their reticles and magnification ranges have left millions of AR owners dissatisfied.

I guess I’m still holding out for that next generation of future Leupold design engineers to graduate college and get busy updating their stuff. :)

I might just go grab a cheap Primary Arms with their very usable reticle and throw it on top to at least have something up there, until my Unicorn can be found.

We’ll, I’ve held out several years because the Eotech survives realistic weather conditions. My main impetus is to get behind some decent, non battery dependent glass

I have a nice Zeiss Conquest, but it’s large and the reticle is not appropriate for 5.56mm. But I do love the scope. No batteries!! Huge objective light bucket.

Can you use it without batteries, or does the reticle demand illumination?

Top Bottom