What's new

What the Heck is Wrong with Me‽

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Joined B&B more than a few weeks ago to try and find a shave soap that would be my daily go to. Ended up buying a crap ton of stuff. Did a few sabbaticals, including a back to back somewhere around 2012/2013. Got all my AD’s back under control and was perfectly content with Tabac & MWF shave soaps and a EJ DE89 razor. So what happenned‽…

Tabac!!! That’s what happened. They reformulated! So, of course I had to stock up. Then with every order of Tabac from all the various vendors on the internet I had to add “just one more thing” and sometimes two. But it didn’t stop there.

I began to develop a fear, a phobia even, that all my favorite things would be discontinued or reformulated. I ran with much haste to the entire shaving forum world. I asked questions, got leads, and made grand purchases. It was an all out frenzy. And it didn’t end with software either, because…

Then came Henson. I bought an AL13 and liked it. So to keep Mrs. OldSaw’s hands off it I had to buy her one too. Then I needed one for my semi truck. But that whole phobia thing was relentless and I began to worry that Henson might never make the titanium version again and even worse, what if the anodizing wore off the AL13’s and they stopped making those, what would I do‽ I was now in full on panic mode and began hunting for a used Henson TI22 so that I could be set for life with a nearly indestructible razor. Finally a fellow member bird dogged one for me and I snagged it as quickly as PayPal would allow.

And so here I am my fellow enablers. In just a few weeks this is what happened to an otherwise satisfied and mild mannered member. (The red AL13 that I keep in the truck is not pictured.) I fear this is not the end either, as a dozen Arko sticks are now in my Amazon shopping cart… oh the humanity…
02694FCB-C276-464D-8AFA-775224415FC1.jpeg

Not bad, not bad. Certainly nothing to worry about...yet. I found that my new kid at BnB buying spree ended pretty abruptly. I verge on being a minimalist now, until you look in the bathroom cupboard and see the remains od my soap-and-cream binges. All done now, except for replacements. Yes, some things will go out of production: "kismet; it is the Wheel". (Bonus points: name the author of that quotation.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Didn't you have a case of Speick sticks and Palmolive sticks, too? You should be set for quite awhile! That looks like around 2 kilos of Tabac...

😅
Arko perhaps, but only a few Speick and Palmolive.

Current Tabac inventory stands at 12 refills, 3 with glass bowls, and only one stick.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Not bad, not bad. Certainly nothing to worry about...yet. I found that my new kid at BnB buying spree ended pretty abruptly. I verge on being a minimalist now, until you look in the bathroom cupboard and see the remains od my soap-and-cream binges. All done now, except for replacements. Yes, some things will go out of production: "kismet; it is the Wheel". (Bonus points: name the author of that quotation.
I was on the happy road of a minimalist setup for nearly ten years (not counting the boxes in the basement of stuff I don’t use). I’ll probably settle down after there is no more room on my side of the bathroom.

Hello!

My humble contribution to this topic: look for Ach Brito products. It is a Portuguese company that maintains its products (soaps and shaving creams) over the decades with the same quality and refinement. Good shaves!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
[/QUOTE]
I was on the happy road of a minimalist setup for nearly ten years (not counting the boxes in the basement of stuff I don’t use). I’ll probably settle down after there is no more room on my side of the bathroom.

:lol: Now That's what I call falling off the wagon with style! Looks like 3 jars, a dozen refill pucks and a stick of Tabac? Um, I think you can safely go back on sabbatical now.

P.S.
I'd love to hear your impressions of the Henson. I've not been convinced that the high-end razors are worth the tariff over the DE89, Merkus 34C or vintage razors.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
:lol: Now That's what I call falling off the wagon with style! Looks like 3 jars, a dozen refill pucks and a stick of Tabac? Um, I think you can safely go back on sabbatical now.

P.S. I'd love to hear your impressions of the Henson. I've not been convinced that the high-end razors are worth the tariff over the DE89, Merkus 34C or vintage razors.

You should check out the Henson Club thread. I’d hate to get this fun little thread shutdown by singing its praises here. Suffice it to say I would not have invested over $400 in a series of razors that I wasn’t impressed with.

Your brave to set out your stash for a photo. If I did that and was sprung, I would be hung drawn and quartered!

I too went through various FOMO (fear of missing out) spending sprees as well, kind of normal over here. It's possible Chinese badger may be a banned import, and given world events who knows, european tallow going to Biofuel... Buy up now just in case! Eventually you run out of space, things to buy or money to keep buying, try not to make it the later!

I have a hidden filled up a large insulated/polysyrene box with soaps, and 2 other boxes/draws and have called it a day.

Top Bottom