What's new

Shave soaps in recyclable containers

One reason I switched to DE/SR shaving is to reduce waste. To this end, I want a shave soap that is not in plastic (though plastic too is recyclable). What shave soaps that come in recyclable containers? I'll start with the two that I use:

• Antiga Barbearia De Bairro Essentials (in a glass jar with a metal lid)
  • Ach. Brito Mogno (a soap bar that comes in a cardboard box)

I'll admit I'm a little confused since you say yourself plastic can be recycled, just as glass or metal can. Even so, if you want to avoid waste, generally speaking, refill pucks would seem like an obvious consideration.

MWF, Tabac and Stirling are a few soaps, just off the top of my head, that are available in this fashion.

You can also reduce waste by re-using things and not throwing things away. That makes good quality plastics a pretty good choice over time. You can buy some soaps as refills packaged in paper wrapping so no need for another container if you already have one.

I have six of these:
petg-jar-soap-1.png

I hope to use them for many years. Even so, they are PET-G, which is recyclable.

I also have these reusable containers:
tabac-stick.jpeg
1631994193470.png
1631994320409.png

1631994449621.png
1631994537326.png
1631994663783.png

1631994760632.png
1631994841711.png

Even these containers can be reused many times. They work well for smaller pucks like Haslinger. The design is pretty good and the labels can be easily removed.
1631995119788.png

though plastic too is recyclable
plastic can be recycled, just as glass or metal can

The truth is a bit more nuanced though and doesn't look great for the plastics industry. Although many plastics are theoretically recyclable, very little of it actually gets recycled in practice -- and the rest ends up in landfill or otherwise dumped in the environment. "Recyclable" doesn't actually mean what we commonly take it to mean.

US figures: according to the EPA, only 8.7% of plastic overall gets recycled. When you look at certain specific types of plastic, the numbers get a little bit higher for a select few (up to ~30% for PET and HDPE). Here is a reliable source, and similar figures are widely cited by other sources too.

All this is to say: if minimizing plastic consumption is something that's important to you, the data backs you up and you'd be justified in seeking out more sustainable types of packaging where possible.

[Stepping off my soapbox now.]

The truth is a bit more nuanced though and doesn't look great for the plastics industry. Although many plastics are theoretically recyclable, very little of it actually gets recycled in practice -- and the rest ends up in landfill or otherwise dumped in the environment. "Recyclable" doesn't actually mean what we commonly take it to mean.

US figures: according to the EPA, only 8.7% of plastic overall gets recycled. When you look at certain specific types of plastic, the numbers get a little bit higher for a select few (up to ~30% for PET and HDPE). Here is a reliable source, and similar figures are widely cited by other sources too.

All this is to say: if minimizing plastic consumption is something that's important to you, the data backs you up and you'd be justified in seeking out more sustainable types of packaging where possible.

[Stepping off my soapbox now.]

Good information. This is why glass, metal, and cardboard are my favorite containers. :)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Been feeling the same recently so I have been looking at refills, until I found SV which come in tins.

Now I just have to 3017 all my soaps that came in plastic.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
3P brick if you can find it, though it comes in a plastic bag.

For the purist, ABC hard soap in wax paper.

DE/SE, really? You throw all those blades and their packaging (in plastic) away. Use a straight razor and nothing goes to waste but used lather, down the drain.

1F34E2EE-84CF-47C8-A384-7520A407C47B.jpeg

3P brick if you can find it, though it comes in a plastic bag.

For the purist, ABC hard soap in wax paper.

DE/SE, really? You throw all those blades and their packaging (in plastic) away. Use a straight razor and nothing goes to waste but used lather, down the drain.

View attachment 1330695
Serious question (not meaning to troll), what are the minimal accessories one needs to maintain a shave ready straight edge? Do they contribute to plastic pollution? Or are they all recyclable and/or biodegradable materials?

I would add Pannacrema to the list. They use glass.

I, too, got into DE shaving because I was sick of throwing away plastic disposable razors. I'm trying to buy soaps that come in metal, glass, wood, or paper. Unfortunately, those plastic Parkway tubs that so many artisans use are not recyclable, at least not where I live.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Serious question (not meaning to troll), what are the minimal accessories one needs to maintain a shave ready straight edge? Do they contribute to plastic pollution? Or are they all recyclable and/or biodegradable materials?

No worries my friend.

Maybe I promote straights a bit much, but this is the internet. And SR were what people used before plastics.

Normal accessories are a leather strop for daily maintenance and some means of sharpening unless you send your SR out for sharpening, and many do.

No, they do not contribute to plastic pollution (unless you choose), you can maintain a SR for a long time on pasted strops. @Slash McCoy has an entire thread on using pasted balsa.

Fair warning, there are three learning curves, shaving, stropping, and honing/sharpening.

No worries my friend.

Maybe I promote straights a bit much, but this is the internet. And SR were what people used before plastics.

Normal accessories are a leather strop for daily maintenance and some means of sharpening unless you send your SR out for sharpening, and many do.

No, they do not contribute to plastic pollution (unless you choose), you can maintain a SR for a long time on pasted strops. @Slash McCoy has an entire thread on using pasted balsa.

Fair warning, there are three learning curves, shaving, stropping, and honing/sharpening.
Thanks!

I have a number of knives I hone with a Spycerco Sharpmaker. I've looked into getting some better sharpening stones but have held off due to not knowing enough about what would be good/recommended for beginners. There's now a knife sharpening thread, but it seems most of the folks who post there are speaking a different language and don't really talk about what would be good for entry level knife sharpening.

I mention all this because it seems straight razor sharpening is similar, if not even more arcane for a beginner.

Given this, I'm likely to stick with my DE razors, especially as they offer me great shaves for very little effort. 😁

Dr. Jon’s and Wet Shaving Products (WSP) both come in tins. Haslinger, already mentioned, has minimal packaging. Some producers, like Mike’s and Stirling, will let you purchase refill pucks, though it should be said that those refills often come in plastic film. Stirling says they use a biodegradable material for their “plastic” film.

I, too, got into wet shaving as a low-waste replacement to cartridge and goo. I was disappointed to find blades coming in plastic tucks and most soaps in plastic containers. I’ve even seen a trend of soapmakers switching from tins to plastic by “popular request” which is unfortunate (to someone like me who cares about using less plastic) especially given that there are rust-resistant tins that do a great job, in my experience at least.

I suppose that’s just the world we live in at the moment. Best bet is to reduce, reuse, recycle - in that order!

Top Bottom