What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I found this Gillette single ring razor in the back of a case in an antique store. It was black. The A.S.R. Blade was still in it because the razor was sealed shut with crud. All I've done so far is soak it overnight in Dish soap and water. The vintage blades and part of the box were included. Total price $4.00.
Based on the serial number it was made in 1921. IMG_20210914_103948_727.jpgIMG_20210914_103948_708.jpgIMG_20210914_103948_734.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I found this Gillette single ring razor in the back of a case in an antique store. It was black. The A.S.R. Blade was still in it because the razor was sealed shut with crud. All I've done so far is soak it overnight in Dish soap and water. The vintage blades and part of the box were included. Total price $4.00.
Based on the serial number it was made in 1921.View attachment 1328162View attachment 1328163View attachment 1328164
Nice! To my mind the Single Ring is the best razor Gillette have ever produced, they have never improved upon it, a wonderful shaver 👍

I received a couple orders from aliexpress.

The first is a clone of the R41 head. As you can see in the pictures the quality is pretty decent, and it appears to be an accurate copy. The tolerances appear to be tight and the cap has very little play with respect to the base.

I haven't shaved with it yet, if anything comes up I will update. Not bad for about 5€ a piece with VAT.

The second is a batch of stainless handles. They are not magnetic, the finish seems a little rough but they have a good weight to them and the threads are well constructed. Judging from the color and the non-magnetic properties they seem to be real stainless steel. These are about 4.5€ a piece with VAT.

I have my reservations about the razor, since I haven't tried it yet. The chinese QC might mean that they missed a critical measurement and the whole thing is useless. The handles however are a good deal for what they are.

I am not sure about the policy of the site regarding posting links from non-vendors, if it is OK I can provide the aliexpress links. Not bad if you can obtain a well functioning razor with a stainless handle for $10.

View attachment 1327954
View attachment 1327956
View attachment 1327957
View attachment 1327959
View attachment 1327960
Beware of those so called R41 clones on aliexpress. I ordered 2 more than a year ago. One was quite more aggressive than the R41 and just tears your face (and I like aggressive razors), the other was so mild it was impossible to shave.

Thanks a lot Peter 👍🏼

I couldn't agree more. The rhodium, open comb, barber pole. It just ticks all the boxes 👌🏼

I mean if this doesn't get someones blod flowing something is most likely wrong 😅

... But it's a dangerous path. Now the hunt begins for some of the other variations!
And now the real question, how does it shave for you? I find a little alum on my finger tips helps with the grip while using the older, heavier Gillettes.

No - British Aristocrats are not addictive at all :001_rolle:001_302:
Definitely not addictive. You have nothing to fear.

Just kidding. It’s a slippery, beautiful slope paved in gold, silver, and rhodium!
:lol:

Beware of those so called R41 clones on aliexpress. I ordered 2 more than a year ago. One was quite more aggressive than the R41 and just tears your face (and I like aggressive razors), the other was so mild it was impossible to shave.

I already tried them. They are borderline unusable, feels like shaving without a baseplate. Besides that there is blade alignment issues because what more can you ask from a razor that wants to shred your face? A blade that is hanging out by a couple millimeters on one side! :laugh:

And now the real question, how does it shave for you? I find a little alum on my finger tips helps with the grip while using the older, heavier Gillettes.

I don't know yet Doug. Time will tell 😅 ... but if it shaves close to some of the other 'Aristocrat'-models it should be smooth sailing 👌🏼

R

romsitsa

The left has a smooth cap, smaller pins, heavier knurling, slightly different setting indicator and the ring an magnet wasn't painted.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Pick your favorite Blackland Blackbird pic! As usual, bad lighting and I just had to hurry, so it became a bit blurry! ;)

I ordered on Saturday, it shipped no Tuesday, and then, it was probably chased over the Atlantic probably by Russian Foxhounds, the Blackbird landed safely here just a few minutes ago. That's just 3-4 days if you exclude the weekend order, just 6 days with it. Wow. DHL Express. It has not been loaded with a blade yet.

I am super hyped, the razor was highly recommended by friends and over here.

BlackBirdRaw.jpgBlackBirdGold.jpgBlackBirdBluejpg.jpg

I will shave tonight, good timing, usually the razors arrive just after a shave.

Almost two years gone since I bought another razor. Thought that now was the time I deserve not one but two.

1. RazoRock Game changer .84 JAWS. A beast but still surprisingly smooth.

2. British Aristocrat, as far as I know generation 3 because of the weigh 80+ grams.

The first Bristocrat I have owned and used, and my first impression is Wow! This is how a razor should feel. Sturdy, well build, great feedback, smooth but still very effective. A great razor, better than my US Aristocrat -47, which is another great razor.

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_100245.jpg
    IMG_20210917_100245.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 23
A 3 piece Gillette. Package is pretty beaten, but completely sealed. M-4 code (1992). I have the same with white handle - 1988. The 1988 says Made in England on the package, this one doesn't. Both don't have Made in England on the bottom plate. Inside the black one the thread has thick grease. Could be one of the very last 3 piece razors made by Gillette England.
If you wonder, I opened it right after I took the picture.

IMG_20210916_122652.jpg

P. S. Yes, I can see you metal purists frowning. ROFL

Top Bottom