What's new

AR sight recommend

I’m thinking of retiring my Eotech since it is totally battery dependent. Would like the best of both worlds. I like optical, but think red dot combination would be nice. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There is also the option of having a separate small red dot mounted on top of or offset from a traditional scope, but I prefer the "all-in-one" option.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
IMG_1362.JPG

Shepherd reticle.

Attachments

• IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
There are various LPVOs (low powered variable optics) available, 1-6 or 1-8X with some variation of a red dot or illuminated reticle so that at low power can be used as a red dot or higher power as a common scope, with most, if the battery fails, you still have use of the cross hairs. I have two Shepherds and am quite pleased with them.
Shepherd Scopes Rugged Series 1-8x24 R-MIL Illuminated Riflescope | Up to 22% Off 4.4 Star Rating w/ Free Shipping and Handling (opticsplanet.com)

i thought I had seen where you had a Shepherd, just couldn’t track it down. That is sweet. Thanks.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I really like that reticle. Not too busy and also, not too basic. The eotech lookin' circle with dot? Reticle for drop, windage and movement? Static range finder in the top right? Whats not too love? :) How much does that weigh again? I have still been holding out, hoping Leupold would come out with something new in 1x6 or 8, with a good reticle and Leupold's famous light weight/s.

Leupold needs to sign up for B&B and read my posts!!! :)

OkieStubble

There is also the option of having a separate small red dot mounted on top of or offset from a traditional scope, but I prefer the "all-in-one" option.

I think having only an LPVO on an AR, is enough for most folks. However, I am interested in trying an offset mounted red dot when I finally do pull the plug on an LPVO for my new rifle. Here are just a few of the Pro's & Con's of why I am personally interested in trying an offset dot.

Con's of no offset:

1. A few of the con's of having just an LPVO is, most of the less expensive scope brands and even many of the more costlier brands of LPVO's,

A. Do not have a true 1X. Many can be distorted, like looking thru a fish bowl or the bottom of a Coca-Cola bottle or,

B. They are magnified and do not provide a true 1X.

2. Most LPVO illuminated reticles are not sufficiently illuminated or bright enough for daylight hours. Especially if it's sunny. While most might say; "I won't need the illumination when the sun is out, I'll just use the black reticle."

The problem is, once out in the sun, using that black reticle to aim back into a dark or shaded area without any illumination and losing that black reticle. Even the dimly lit red illumination on many LPVO's won't provide enough brightness if you are standing in the daylight while aiming it into a dark or shaded area.

3. LPVO's are great for the variable choices of different powers of magnification, especially for older eyeballs like mine. And if one has the time, distance and/or opportunity in a bad situation in order to adjust their magnification for the different possible ranges when engaging targets? It's all good? But if in a self defense or other type of situation, like a social disorder or rule without law? "If" you were engaging a couple of targets at extended ranges in 6Xor 8X magnification and a bogie suddenly pops his head up just a few yards away? You will have trouble finding that close up shot in 6 or 8X. Guaranteed.

Pro's of having an offset red dot.

1. The most obvious would be, keeping the LPVO in a higher magnification setting for downtown and having a small lightweight offset dot for up close and personal.

2. Always true 1X

3. No distortion at all of 1X

4. Illuminated red dot is always bright enough and always clear, even in the most sunniest days.

5. The offset dot will show up when pointing it back into dark or shaded areas. It will not wash out in the sun like most LPVO's do.

6. Engaging targets with an offset dot from an AR at closer ranges from up close and personal and even out between 25-50 yards is very simple, (just a flick of the wrist) very intuitive, very fluid and very accurate.

7. Having two optics with one in a 45 degree mount, gives the user, certain "tactical benefits" when moving. Taking right and/or left corners is much easier when canting the rifle to an offset optic, then it is when staying behind a top mounted scope. Much less exposure of head and/or body with an offset mount. Especially if you are not switching to an opposite shoulder when shouldering the rifle.

8. Which is easier for someone not highly trained in tactics to shoot around a corner? A. An offset dot from the users, normal shooting shoulder? B. The awkwardness and confusing feeling of trying to use the rifle thru a scope from the users opposite weak side shoulder?

9. Some, can throw a football with their non-writing hand pretty good without any practice. Most, would need lots of constant practice and training to even be close to proficient. Especially in a deadly encounter. And then there are some, which it will always feel and be awkward to manage, regardless how much practice they get. I think I fall into this category.

So I will try the offset with my LPVO. The worse that can happen? If I don't like it, I'll take it off and mount the small red dot on top of a pistol or something. :)

I think having only an LPVO on an AR, is enough for most folks. However, I am interested in trying an offset mounted red dot when I finally do pull the plug on an LPVO for my new rifle. Here are just a few of the Pro's & Con's of why I am personally interested in trying an offset dot.

Con's of no offset:

1. A few of the con's of having just an LPVO is, most of the less expensive scope brands and even many of the more costlier brands of LPVO's,

A. Do not have a true 1X. Many can be distorted, like looking thru a fish bowl or the bottom of a Coca-Cola bottle or,

B. They are magnified and do not provide a true 1X.

2. Most LPVO illuminated reticles are not sufficiently illuminated or bright enough for daylight hours. Especially if it's sunny. While most might say; "I won't need the illumination when the sun is out, I'll just use the black reticle."

The problem is, once out in the sun, using that black reticle to aim back into a dark or shaded area without any illumination and losing that black reticle. Even the dimly lit red illumination on many LPVO's won't provide enough brightness if you are standing in the daylight while aiming it into a dark or shaded area.

3. LPVO's are great for the variable choices of different powers of magnification, especially for older eyeballs like mine. And if one has the time, distance and/or opportunity in a bad situation in order to adjust their magnification for the different possible ranges when engaging targets? It's all good? But if in a self defense or other type of situation, like a social disorder or rule without law? "If" you were engaging a couple of targets at extended ranges in 6Xor 8X magnification and a bogie suddenly pops his head up just a few yards away? You will have trouble finding that close up shot in 6 or 8X. Guaranteed.

Pro's of having an offset red dot.

1. The most obvious would be, keeping the LPVO in a higher magnification setting for downtown and having a small lightweight offset dot for up close and personal.

2. Always true 1X

3. No distortion at all of 1X

4. Illuminated red dot is always bright enough and always clear, even in the most sunniest days.

5. The offset dot will show up when pointing it back into dark or shaded areas. It will not wash out in the sun like most LPVO's do.

6. Engaging targets with an offset dot from an AR at closer ranges from up close and personal and even out between 25-50 yards is very simple, (just a flick of the wrist) very intuitive, very fluid and very accurate.

7. Having two optics with one in a 45 degree mount, gives the user, certain "tactical benefits" when moving. Taking right and/or left corners is much easier when canting the rifle to an offset optic, then it is when staying behind a top mounted scope. Much less exposure of head and/or body with an offset mount. Especially if you are not switching to an opposite shoulder when shouldering the rifle.

8. Which is easier for someone not highly trained in tactics to shoot around a corner? A. An offset dot from the users, normal shooting shoulder? B. The awkwardness and confusing feeling of trying to use the rifle thru a scope from the users opposite weak side shoulder?

9. Some, can throw a football with their non-writing hand pretty good without any practice. Most, would need lots of constant practice and training to even be close to proficient. Especially in a deadly encounter. And then there are some, which it will always feel and be awkward to manage, regardless how much practice they get. I think I fall into this category.

So I will try the offset with my LPVO. The worse that can happen? If I don't like it, I'll take it off and mount the small red dot on top of a pistol or something. :)
If the offset is to the left side and you’re shooting to the right, isn’t that problematic? Do you aim with your non dominant eye?

I've used a Burris Electrodot 1.5-6x for about 20 years now. It has definitely been surpassed by the current options, but it is still a fine performer. Recognizing that a "true" 1x could be challenging to find, and recognizing that my astigmatism was/is such that the small magnification is not going to hamper me in any situation where I'm using a 16.25" .308, and that from that same length 6x is realistically more than adequate, it was a good choice for me.

OkieStubble

I've used a Burris Electrodot 1.5-6x for about 20 years now. It has definitely been surpassed by the current options, but it is still a fine performer. Recognizing that a "true" 1x could be challenging to find, and recognizing that my astigmatism was/is such that the small magnification is not going to hamper me in any situation where I'm using a 16.25" .308, and that from that same length 6x is realistically more than adequate, it was a good choice for me.

I don’t think I have ever heard of the Burris Electrodot? Got any pics?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The only problem I have with the 1X not being a true 1X is that a co-witnessed front BUIS is blurry, which is pretty significant if you need to use a BUIS and don't have time to dismount your scope with its QR mount.

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble Liking it a lot. Totally reliable and a joy to shoot. Just can’t run as many rounds through it as I’d like because of ammunition availability/price.

Yeah, The Colt just seems to have some type of inherent, built in accuracy, that makes me look good on paper. Not bad for a Mil-Spec rifle. :)

OkieStubble

The only problem I have with the 1X not being a true 1X is that a co-witnessed front BUIS is blurry, which is pretty significant if you need to use a BUIS and don't have time to dismount your scope with its QR mount.

This is true. I always wondered why Leupold's scopes always listed 1.5 x 4 or 2.5 x 8 instead of doing a 1x? Then I realized, Every other brand is 1.5x also, Leupold is just the only brand willing to be honest about it. :)

OkieStubble

Sounds like in that situation, an offset dot would come in handy? ;)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There is no doubt about the handiness of an off set RD. All sorts of add-ons would be helpful in an "all possible scenarios" tactical weapon. But that tends to get expensive as well as cluttered. My two AR variants with their all-in-one Shepherd scopes "mission statement" includes being as sleek and uncluttered as possible, capable of performing in "most" probable scenarios, but admittedly, not all possible tactical scenarios. Gee, I might have to transition to my handgun, slower than a canted red dot for sure.

Top Bottom