What's new

Gillette New Short Comb Vs Karve ( Blade Rigidity in mind)

Hey guys my favorite razor is my Gillette New Short Comb. I love it because it holds the blade very firmly. Which for me is the only way I can have a razor not chatter and cut the hairs effectively. I have coarse hair and sensitive skin so it's a must for me that the made does not chatter. I have just been looking for a razor that functions similarly and was curious about the Karve because it has so many plates to choose from. However the only way I will ever buy this razor is if it holds the blade equal to or better than my New SC. I also have a Fatip open comb which does the same but I've been wanting something different for verietys sake. Do the varying plates differ in terms of how rigidity the blade is clamped or are they all equal in these terms? Thanks for any advice!

If a rigid blade is a priority, one other razor you might want to look out for is the new Blackland Era. It hasn't been released yet, but the company is marketing blade clamping as a major feature of the new design. Roughly same price as the Karve too. See this post. I don't have any experience with Karve, so I'll let others weigh in on how it might compare. The NEW SC is a favourite of mine too!

Last edited:
If a rigid blade is a priority, one other razor you might want to look out for is the new Blackland Era. It hasn't been released yet, but the company is marketing blade clamping as a major feature of the new design. Roughly same price as the Karve too. See this post. I don't have any experience with Karve, so I'll let others weigh in on how it might compare. The NEW SC is a favourite of mine too!
I wanted to cry when I first used it 🥲 I have terribly sensitive skin and coarse hair and when I felt the blade just glide through my face and how comfortable it felt it was just amazing. I had never gotten an irritation free shave until I came across this razor. The Fatip does this as well. My favorite SE right now is my Ever Ready 1924 and it's my favorite razor of all. For some odd reason it's just fun to shave with and that sounds so weird to say. It's probably how much audio feed back you get from it that makes it so fun. Also the angle of attack on this razor is more similar to the angle you would use on a DE razor. Most gems you pretty much have to lay the cap flat on the face which still works but it's just something to get useto.

I wanted to cry when I first used it 🥲 I have terribly sensitive skin and coarse hair and when I felt the blade just glide through my face and how comfortable it felt it was just amazing. I had never gotten an irritation free shave until I came across this razor. The Fatip does this as well. My favorite SE right now is my Ever Ready 1924 and it's my favorite razor of all. For some odd reason it's just fun to shave with and that sounds so weird to say. It's probably how much audio feed back you get from it that makes it so fun. Also the angle of attack on this razor is more similar to the angle you would use on a DE razor. Most gems you pretty much have to lay the cap flat on the face which still works but it's just something to get useto.

I've never ventured into SE razors, but now you're making me curious. Are the blades for those easy to come by?

I've never ventured into SE razors, but now you're making me curious. Are the blades for those easy to come by?
You can get PTFE blades which most people prefer online easily through

They are a bit pricier but they last a long time. I've used mine for over a week. Never tried stretching them out more than that but I just might out of curiosity. I definitely recommend the Ever Ready 1924 because they will feel the most familiar with DE razors. I do recommend hand stropping the blades because they can feel a bit rough at first. I see a bunch on Etsy for 25 bucks and lower I'll leave you link of one if you decide to pull the trigger.

I have the Karve Alu OC-F and the Karve Alu SB-G. I don’t have any vintage razors, so I cannot make a direct comparison between the Karve and your New Short Comb, but the Karve really does hold the blade in a very rigid fashion. The clamping occurs very close to the blade’s edge and thus allows for a very rigidly held blade.

I think the different plates only change the blade gap and the blade exposure, not the clamping geometry, so I’d venture to say that they are all equally rigid.

I’ve only had the Karves for a couple of months, but they have quickly become my go-to razors, especially the OC version. They are very smooth shaving, very light, very nimble and very maneuverable. If you prefer heavier razors, the brass and/or stainless-steel versions should suit you even better.

My second favorite razor is the Fatip Piccolo OC. I’d say the Karve and the Fatip are pretty close in terms of smoothness, with the Karve holding a considerable edge in the efficiency department (not that I consider the Fatip an inefficient razor at all!).

My shaves with the Karve are very pleasurable and irritation free. I do get a nick or a weeper from time to time (pretty sure it’s mostly my fault as it always happens during my, sometimes overzealous, cleanup routine). Also keep in mind that I’m using Karve’s most aggressive plates.

I like the Karve OC so much and I consider it so efficient that I’m seriously considering giving the D-plate a try. It should be a lot smoother than the F-plate and still plenty efficient, me thinks…

Have a great one!

PS: following the progress of the Blackland Era very closely too! Looks very promising!

I have the Karve Alu OC-F and the Karve Alu SB-G. I don’t have any vintage razors, so I cannot make a direct comparison between the Karve and your New Short Comb, but the Karve really does hold the blade in a very rigid fashion. The clamping occurs very close to the blade’s edge and thus allows for a very rigidly held blade.

I think the different plates only change the blade gap and the blade exposure, not the clamping geometry, so I’d venture to say that they are all equally rigid.

I’ve only had the Karves for a couple of months, but they have quickly become my go-to razors, especially the OC version. They are very smooth shaving, very light, very nimble and very maneuverable. If you prefer heavier razors, the brass and/or stainless-steel versions should suit you even better.

My second favorite razor is the Fatip Piccolo OC. I’d say the Karve and the Fatip are pretty close in terms of smoothness, with the Karve holding a considerable edge in the efficiency department (not that I consider the Fatip an inefficient razor at all!).

My shaves with the Karve are very pleasurable and irritation free. I do get a nick or a weeper from time to time (pretty sure it’s mostly my fault as it always happens during my, sometimes overzealous, cleanup routine). Also keep in mind that I’m using Karve’s most aggressive plates.

I like the Karve OC so much and I consider it so efficient that I’m seriously considering giving the D-plate a try. It should be a lot smoother than the F-plate and still plenty efficient, me thinks…

Have a great one!

PS: following the progress of the Blackland Era very closely too! Looks very promising!
Thanks for the reply! It's great to hear that you think the Karve holds the blade as tightly as the Fatip which is really good! Yeah the Era razor is peeking my interest but I'm not digging the black metal finish. Kindof makes it look cheap. And the handle looks to smooth and slippery.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys my favorite razor is my Gillette New Short Comb. I love it because it holds the blade very firmly. Which for me is the only way I can have a razor not chatter and cut the hairs effectively. I have coarse hair and sensitive skin so it's a must for me that the made does not chatter. I have just been looking for a razor that functions similarly and was curious about the Karve because it has so many plates to choose from. However the only way I will ever buy this razor is if it holds the blade equal to or better than my New SC. I also have a Fatip open comb which does the same but I've been wanting something different for verietys sake. Do the varying plates differ in terms of how rigidity the blade is clamped or are they all equal in these terms? Thanks for any advice!

Karve clamps the blade pretty well, but if a rigid blade is your #1 requirement, my advice is to look at an Artist Club (AC) Single Edge razor.

Thicker blade. Rigidly clamped in place. Blades are readily available.

There are a variety of razors out there. Kind of depends on how much you want to spend.

My personal favorite AC razors:

Blackland Razors Vector
Colonial Razors The General
ATT SE1
RazoRock Hawk v3

Hope this helps. :)

Karve clamps the blade pretty well, but if a rigid blade is your #1 requirement, my advice is to look at an Artist Club (AC) Single Edge razor.

Thicker blade. Rigidly clamped in place. Blades are readily available.

There are a variety of razors out there. Kind of depends on how much you want to spend.

My personal favorite AC razors:

Blackland Razors Vector
Colonial Razors The General
ATT SE1
RazoRock Hawk v3

Hope this helps. :)
I no your advice is very valid but I already have so many SE razors and I love them especially my Ever Ready 1924. I love them because they are rigid and have thicker blades. It's suck a fun little razor. The audio feed back is like scraping toast 😋

I love it because it holds the blade very firmly. Which for me is the only way I can have a razor not chatter and cut the hairs effectively.
I haven't any experience with Karve, so I know this isn't directly responsive to your question, but it might be useful, nonetheless. I also find that the more rigidly a blade is clamped, the better the shave, all other things being equal, and the two modern razors that I have experience with that have the most rigidly clamped blade are the Henson AL13 and the Timeless. Both are better in terms of blade clamping than either the the NEW SC or Fatip (both of which I own), IMHO.

I haven't any experience with Karve, so I know this isn't directly responsive to your question, but it might be useful, nonetheless. I also find that the more rigidly a blade is clamped, the better the shave, all other things being equal, and the two modern razors that I have experience with that have the most rigidly clamped blade are the Henson AL13 and the Timeless. Both are better in terms of blade clamping than either the the NEW SC or Fatip (both of which I own), IMHO.
Aaah yes it's Henson that I was thinking about. I knew of a razor that claims the rigid design but completely forgot the name. Thanks for reminding me!

Yeah the Era razor is peeking my interest but I'm not digging the black metal finish. Kindof makes it look cheap. And the handle looks to smooth and slippery.

The site hasn't been updated yet but the release version of the Era isn't going to have that black finish:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also those grooves in the handle are supposed to hold up to 6 optional grip rings:

image.jpeg

The site hasn't been updated yet but the release version of the Era isn't going to have that black finish:

View attachment 1330135

View attachment 1330136

Also those grooves in the handle are supposed to hold up to 6 optional grip rings:

View attachment 1330137

The pale grey looks fantastic, I think I actually prefer it to the black. A bonus point with this that may not be as apparent to those with softer water is that it may do a better job hiding the inevitable hard water film and soap scum that accumulates after even a single shave where I live. I have a matte black shave brush that I love, but it's a constant battle keeping it looking clean. @Blackland Razors, I'll tag you here, since the feedback may be helpful.

I managed to keep my RAD under control for quite some time…. I was perfectly happy with a few Fatip Piccolos, OC and SB. I love the Piccolo, tried the Grande and felt it was just “meh…”. And my Muhle R41! Once or twice a week, porcelain finish!

A few months ago I got me a couple of Alu Karves once they finally became available (lol, waited like a year for those!) an OC-F and a SB-G. Fantastic, wonderful, amazing razors!!! So I’m done right? At least for a little while?

Enter the Era…. Gotta have it! The OC one, level 5 or whatever they call it…. The most rigidly held blade on any DE razor ever? Gotta have it!!!

And then I’m done. I am, really! I promise, I’m done! I swear, the Era is my last one…. Seriously…

The pale grey looks fantastic, I think I actually prefer it to the black. A bonus point with this that may not be as apparent to those with softer water is that it may do a better job hiding the inevitable hard water film and soap scum that accumulates after even a single shave where I live. I have a matte black shave brush that I love, but it's a constant battle keeping it looking clean. @Blackland Razors, I'll tag you here, since the feedback may be helpful.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm especially glad you like the raw blasted finish because we're too far down the path to make changes. :)

Top Bottom