What's new

Mühle r41 first shave, surprisingly mild?

With the right blade, the right prep and the right technique the R41 is a pussycat. It does however have a preference to tough whiskers and sharp blades. This, with a Fatip open comb have given the best results so far.

I have shimmed mine to improve upon blade chatter with bic blades. With the nacet it was better on that front. While I cannot say it is a daily driver, having rediscovered shaving in the last couple months, I am very satisfied with the results. My other current favorite, the fatip open comb has a different philosophy but I enjoy it too.

All this discussion is to be taken with a grain of salt. I am using a shimmed R41 and I also enjoy the Lord R6, which is a very mild razor. Once your technique is dialed in, you can pretty much get good results with anything.

It's my daily driver and I am loving it, no reason for me to go back to what I was using before, ( in my case a 96).

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I felt a bit adventurous this morning so I took a yaqi Mellon head top cap and put it on my R41 base plate with a brand new nacet. Really nice shave BBS with no irration i dont know if adding the yaqi top cap made any difference or it was just my imagination 😅

Could anyone please tell if what i did came anywhere near to the yaqi beast razor. I'm really new to wet shaving and would really appreciate an opinion thanks 😊

Could anyone please tell if what i did came anywhere near to the yaqi beast razor. I'm really new to wet shaving and would really appreciate an opinion thanks 😊
I think I have all the components to assemble this razor and I believe I have a beast as well. If I get a chance I will try them out and attempt a comparison. I've been meaning to measure top caps on some of these and see how they compare to the R41 top cap.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I think I have all the components to assemble this razor and I believe I have a beast as well. If I get a chance I will try them out and attempt a comparison. I've been meaning to measure top caps on some of these and see how they compare to the R41 top cap.

Thanks for the reply and I would be very interested in your comparison

Which razor was this?
I have no clue, just bought it at some fancy grooming store, along with some feathers, personnas and derbys, that marks the beginning of my wet shaving journey. Pic attached (its a little dirty, results of having limy water)
20210916_214647.jpg

With the right blade, the right prep and the right technique the R41 is a pussycat. It does however have a preference to tough whiskers and sharp blades. This, with a Fatip open comb have given the best results so far.

I have shimmed mine to improve upon blade chatter with bic blades. With the nacet it was better on that front. While I cannot say it is a daily driver, having rediscovered shaving in the last couple months, I am very satisfied with the results. My other current favorite, the fatip open comb has a different philosophy but I enjoy it too.

All this discussion is to be taken with a grain of salt. I am using a shimmed R41 and I also enjoy the Lord R6, which is a very mild razor. Once your technique is dialed in, you can pretty much get good results with anything.
I'll try shimming mine as well, see if that changes it, I'm really interested. Never tried Nacets, but I ordered a hundred pack, just because of the good reputation here, will be coming in next week I hope.

The Ikon TEK is a very aggressive razor.

My favorite DE razor is the Blackland Razors Titanium Blackbird.

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale is a fine shaving slant that won't break the bank.

The Karve Brass SB-G is a highly efficient razor that is still quite smooth.

Or, if you really want to go over the edge, check out the Roedter 1909. Be warned, though, that this is not a serious recommendation. ;)
Thx very much for the recommendations! Unfortunately, some of those are a pain to get here in europe

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thx very much for the recommendations! Unfortunately, some of those are a pain to get here in europe

That's why I would go the Fatip route. Between the Fatip Slants, the Grande and the Piccolo plus the Schone, Plisson Joris and Scheermes Roedter razors, you have a lot of options. :)

If maximum efficiency is not of paramount importance, check out the Mühle Rocca R95 V4. A very highly effective razor (Efficient + Smooth = Effective) and in my Big Dogs Category. :)

I don't know about mild but for me it is a crapshoot. Sometimes I get a smooth shave, other times I get a lot of tugging. Maybe it is the prep maybe it is the technique. Wish I could get a consistently good shave like a Fatip or R89.

Every now and then there is yet another R41 thread... AHEM 😌😩

Either folks can't figure out what the big deal is, what's all the fuss about or they're in apparent awe how this "beast" has the teeth of the Great White, combined with cutting power of Texas massacre chainsaw 🙄🤔. It's all exaggeration both ways. The truth is, it's just another DE razor... sure it has a pronounced blade fell, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. How it will shave will depend on one's TECHNIQUE and nothing else.

So, I took mine for a spin. Excellent no-nonsense shave, BBS, 1 tiny weeper (oh well). No sting, no harsh burn 😐😐

1631867464240.png

R41 head mounted on a RR Bulldog handle - excellent combo.

1631867589291.png

Undecided between this R41 and the Fatip grande never tried an OC but want something in my den to take down several days of growth when needed

That's why I would go the Fatip route. Between the Fatip Slants, the Grande and the Piccolo plus the Schone, Plisson Joris and Scheermes Roedter razors, you have a lot of options. :)

If maximum efficiency is not of paramount importance, check out the Mühle Rocca R95 V4. A very highly effective razor (Efficient + Smooth = Effective) and in my Big Dogs Category. :)
Thx! I absolutely love the look of the Rocca R95, might get myself one. Hard not to become a hoarder 😄

Every now and then there is yet another R41 thread... AHEM 😌😩

Either folks can't figure out what the big deal is, what's all the fuss about or they're in apparent awe how this "beast" has the teeth of the Great White, combined with cutting power of Texas massacre chainsaw 🙄🤔. It's all exaggeration both ways. The truth is, it's just another DE razor... sure it has a pronounced blade fell, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. How it will shave will depend on one's TECHNIQUE and nothing else.

So, I took mine for a spin. Excellent no-nonsense shave, BBS, 1 tiny weeper (oh well). No sting, no harsh burn 😐😐

View attachment 1329589

R41 head mounted on a RR Bulldog handle - excellent combo.

View attachment 1329591
20210906_125029.jpg
Yes absolutely!

I think the distinction for "The Beast" is the 2011 model R41. The others are apparently milder. The only one I've used is the 2011 and it is fairly deserving of the title. It is a face full of seat of the pants blade, on my face. I like the results, an 18hr or so BBS, but there are much more comfortable ways to achieve the same results.

The new limited edition titanium version must be based off of the 2011? I bought one, luckily, and it cuts very close. The Ti material seems to have muted the blade feel too. The handle is much better than the 2011 version I had with the bulldog handle. The Ti version is very nice and will certainly outlast the 2011 zamak versions.

By the time I shaved with the R41 for the first time I was already shaving with my Rex on setting 4. Needless to say the blade feel was no issue. The shave was OK, no irritation but I had to work for the BBS. I found the Fatip OC to be a better shaver (as long as you can get one with no alignment issues) Certainly not a Beast in my book.

I think the distinction for "The Beast" is the 2011 model R41. The others are apparently milder. The only one I've used is the 2011 and it is fairly deserving of the title. It is a face full of seat of the pants blade, on my face. I like the results, an 18hr or so BBS, but there are much more comfortable ways to achieve the same results.

The new limited edition titanium version must be based off of the 2011? I bought one, luckily, and it cuts very close. The Ti material seems to have muted the blade feel too. The handle is much better than the 2011 version I had with the bulldog handle. The Ti version is very nice and will certainly outlast the 2011 zamak versions.
I agree the 2011 version is where the R41 reputation must have come from. FWIW, I have the 2011 version, the 2013 Zamak version, and the R41 GS stainless version. The stainless version shaves much more like the 2013 version in my opinion. I like the 2011 version better, but like you wish it came in a more durable material.

Lucky you for acquiring the Ti version. It sounds like very few were made.

Top Bottom