What's new

What is the softest (ZERO scratch/scritch) badger brush ever made?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have not tried enough brushes to proclaim them the softest, but the now discontinued but still obtainable Kent silvertips are incredibly soft. For face lathering I find the BK4 ideal.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I don't think I've seen a single member criticize the advice he's given by other B&Bers so consistently and across so many posts as this guy. He did the same thing way back in his residual slickness compared to SV soap thread and just about every one in between.
I'm still waiting on the list ranking each of the top 300 soaps for residual slickness.

I prefer some backbone for face lathering, so take this with a grain (or more) of salt!

I endorse either Simpsons super or a Shavemac 3-band set with a high loft.

I'm still waiting on the list ranking each of the top 300 soaps for residual slickness.
Me too @Owen Bawn, with a little exception - I'm (still) only interested in the Top10 😉

Those "in the know" are welcome to chime in:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Me too @Owen Bawn, with a little exception - I'm (still) only interested in the Top10 😉

Those "in the know" are welcome to chime in:

How is this to be determined. I want something objective, perhaps a trip down a one meter thirty degree incline, traversed by an agreed upon razor released from the top and timed. Fastest trip down wins!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thater 3-band silvertip
Yes, I think you are right...just used my Thaeter today, and it feels like a cottonball on the skin, absolutely scritch. Completely forgot the two 3-band Thaeter I have, use mainly two band these days.

This is my experience with the Beagle as well. We had Bernd set the knots 2-3 mm lower than he recommends in order to increase scrub. A bit of scritch appears to be a side effect of this, particularly in the bulb.
I have three brushes with this knot. Two were made by Rudy and the Beagle is the third. No question the Beagle has the most scrub. But my fan Beagle is still relatively new. The softest was the 2018 B&B limited edition but it also had the most break-in time. The newest (a Persian Jar) is slightly newer than the Beagle and slightly softer. I think the relative loft has a lot to do with the feel, but also would not discount the knot getting softer with use.

linty1

My wallet cries.
85552DB7-4B04-4875-B91C-3C577D38350E.jpeg

Here's mine, and agreed, its very soft.

edit: sorry, I forgot to mention, its the Thater 4125-1 3 band silvertip

My favorite of all of my brushes is this $35 high mountain white badger knot from Amazon, set in a vintage Rubberset 400 handle.
Used with a warm Dirty Bird scuttle it's like flopping a hot cloud around your face. Highly recommend (24mm btw).
At home in Reno I too have this knot set sort of high in a Switchback 400 handle and it's definitely cloudlike. Not much backbone, seems just enough to stand up by itself. Perhaps this knot is even softer than some Vulfix silvertip brushes I have, and they're quite soft.

Between the Shavemac D01 silvertip and the Simpson Super, I'd give the edge (just slightly) to Simpson's.
May I ask you in what sense exactly:

> Knot density
> Loft shape
> Feel of the hair tips on the face(how so?)
> Lather release / lather hog

Or is it aesthetics rather...?

May I ask you in what sense exactly:

> Knot density
> Loft shape
> Feel of the hair tips on the face(how so?)
> Lather release / lather hog

Or is it aesthetics rather...?
The Simpson's is not as dense by just slightly softer tips. That could be because of the density. Both brushes I'm comparing are fan shapes.

Plisson High Mountain White... no scritch, the tips almost feel rounded off to me. I have a size 8 in a bulb shape. Backbone doesn't compare to boar, but it's still good for face lathering. I would say it has more spring than backbone. It's the only badger I have. I gave away or sold my others.
That being said, I rarely use it in favour of boar brushes. But in light of this thread, I will use it tonight.

I've used the same brush for 50 years, rebadgered once, so god knows I'm no expert. But the softest brushes I've ever seen are make-up brushes, You can find them in beauty supply house. !. I don't know if they are badger. 2. I don'y know if they will stand up under repeated face-lathering. Not very expensive, so could be replaced with little pain.

I've used the same brush for 50 years, rebadgered once, so god knows I'm no expert. But the softest brushes I've ever seen are make-up brushes, You can find them in beauty supply house. !. I don't know if they are badger. 2. I don'y know if they will stand up under repeated face-lathering. Not very expensive, so could be replaced with little pain.
You bein' a smart@$$? 😂😂

Top Bottom