What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Merkur Progress, 2013, set to 1.5
Blade: Israeli Personna, labeled "Platinum Chrome," in blue wax paper from a blue bulk box of 100, purchased in Q1 2020 (5)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: RazoRock Acqua
Rating: 9.0

This morning's shave on 12 hours of growth, since I will not get to shave later today before needing to be presentable. Stubble was minimal, so I dialed back the Progress to 1.5. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, no irritation, but a bunch of nicks in spite of the low setting. There was probably not enough growth to shave after using the efficient GEM 1912 last night.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Result: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Sandalwood soap (brushless - pump - applied by hand)
Soap: Castle Forbes shave cream 1445
Brush: Barrister and Mann Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: King C. Gillette SS (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: Royall Lyme splash

Perfect shave! DFS/BBS with no blood. Lupo is amazing. This shave cream is more like a croap, but it's fantastic stuff! A1 for Castle Forbes. I bought this scent, which reminded me of TOBS St. James a bit, because it was the least expensive. I understand why Castle Forbes is a bit pricey...you definitely get what you pay for.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

A Kit 20210916.jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, September 16th 2021

Razor: TARMAX DE adjustable by Tom White, Mfg 2021(4 only made) excellent adjustable, I really enjoy the audio feedback, with Aluminum it makes a sound of a blade cutting like no other metal razors I own(sizzling sound of sharpness how I can best describe it). I cranked it up wide open (8) and the TARMAX performed very well for a nice carefree shave. Nice razor is the bottom line, enjoyable to use.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP (2) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with good longevity. I like this blade for testing all my DE shave gear as a standard comparison. It lets you know if a new blade is a little better or a little worse making it easy to gage IMO.
Soap: Speick, excellent triple milled soap, nice spicy scent with excellent lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm boar brush, excellent lather generator, nice soft split end hair tips, great scrubber + good lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush(Cashmere syn) wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a clear dollop of Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel skin clean, Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe balm(scentless+ good stuff).
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my TARMAX DE adjustable razor with a Gillette Astra SP blade.

SOTD,  Sep 16th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Coates Sandalwood Cream
Brush
B&B LE 2012 by Rudy Vey
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Timeless SS SB .68
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
Versace, The Dreamer
Rating
10/10
Comments
Using the Coates Sandalwood cream again. The B&B LE brush does a nice job of making lather from this cream. The cream is good – but not as slick as the GFT cream I used up previously. The cream has lost most of its scent due, most likely, to its age. A decent shave on a beautiful AZ day. Have a good one, folks.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: ATT Windsor DE with CM1 baseplate & Timeless Ti handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Soap: Stirling Glastonbury
Bowl: Blue Timeless Bowl
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.85/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with three touch ups. Two weepers, no cuts or irritation. Very nice shave overall. Weepers my fault for over buffing on chin.

Pre : Cool shower with Palmolive bath bar
Razor: Winning Razor
Blade: Derby Extra
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle 26mm synthetic
Soap: PdP No. 63
After: Captain's Choice Italia splash

Just great all around. 9.5 at least. No sting, no drama, no nothing. Just me and the quiet rain. A great smelling face massage that made a nice performing lather followed by an aftershave so good that I have to avoid the wife or else face the consequences.

Razor: Schick E2 (Pebbled Finish)
Blade: Personna Precision - Hollow Ground - 1950’s (2)
Brush: Henri et Victoria - Karma (synthetic) 25mm
Pre-Shave: Stirling Pink Clay - Facial Bar Soap
Lather: HK&C - Beyond the Void: Gadabout
Aftershave: Stirling - Tea Tree (Splash)
EDP: Mandarina Duck - Black Extreme
B46E6881-4E48-4AE4-9F74-1664DE1C7927.jpeg

Shave Rating. 9.5/10
Personna Precision not so precise
A couple of shaves ago I used this vintage Personna injector blade in my Schick L6 Easy Rider and found it smooth, but so mild I really had to work to get cleaned up. @Whiterook assured me that the L6 was one of the mildest Schicks, so I removed the blade and installed it in a more aggressive E2.
I could feel the blade moving over my whiskers and knew going for a BBS would be asking for a case of razor burn in spite of the excellent HK&C lather.
I’ve already injected the blade into the blade bank. To be fair, this blade came out of a beat up, opened, 70 year old injector case with just a couple blades left.
2BF61D05-6EC3-4A10-9135-13184B810F67.jpeg

For all I know, the last person using it may have inserted his used blades with 10 shaves already on them back into the injector for discarding. You never know what your dealing with when trying out opened stock.
I also can’t find any mention of these particular blades, so maybe they weren’t the cats meow to start with.

Today was sample day so I tried out this HK&C (HENDRIX CLASSICS & CO.) soap. Not much of a scent, but a super creamy lather that would have @Chard52142 turning his brushes into Dairy Queens.
As I mentioned before, I’m really appreciating the effect tea tree is having on my skin. I know it smells medicinal, but that disappears as soon as it absorbs.
The Henri et Victoria brush was my very first synthetic and still remains one of my very favorites.

Thursday morning shave, nice two passes, plus clean up, 9/10, CCS+ , no weepers, no irritation, and not much stubble:

Pre-shave: cool shower
Razors: SNMRIN adjustable set on 4
Blade: Nacet (3)- blade is noticeably less sharp
Brush: Shavemac 20mm Pure badger
Soap: ARKO stick- usual nice lather
Post-shave: cold rinse, then some CVS Original AS- an Old Spice clone, and a shake of Clubman talc in my shorts

Have a great shave!
PXL_20210916_151154623.NIGHT.jpg

Soap: Stirling Varen
Razor: '79 U.K. Spiral Tech
Blade: Treet Classic (2)
Brush: Beagle
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Brut

Good shave, but these blades just don't last that long. No irritation but got a few weepers, which is fine. Really enjoyed Varen this morning and works well with Brut.

9/10

IMG_20210916_080701.jpg

Preshave: PAA Tube 2.0
Brush: Shavemac 26/54 fan two band silvertip
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Timeless bronze 0.38 SB
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver Stainless
Post shave: alum, witch hazel, hyaluronic acid
After shave: Nivea sensitive balm, Floïd 1932

9.5/10 DFS

Light irritation on neck from buffing.

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower. 2 days growth​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Unbranded Barber Notch Hard Rubber Scales​
Pre-Shave: None
Brush: Rudy Vey w/ Synbad Synthetic knot​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Unscented​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm​
9.7/10 DFS!

Today's shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: GSB

Soap: Muhle Sea Buckthorn
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: Oleo Soapworks 40

BBS

Proraso red pre-shave, soap, and aftershave
Omega boar brush
Ralf Aust 5/8 Spanish point straight razor
witch hazel

One pass on the face. Two passes on the neck. A little feel-n-shave for spots I wanted to get with a second pass. I drew a bit of blood on my bottom lip because I was distracted for a moment. I’ll give it an 8.9/10.

Top Bottom