What's new

College Football

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Well then I'm glad we helped you out!

Indeed. The Eagles gift wrapped the game and gave it away with 3 turnovers. If I remember correctly the only TD Vandy scored was on a punt that the BC return man muffed and was recovered in the endzone for a TD. BC dominated the game in virtually every offensive category. Vandy was something like 1-15 on third downs and only had 200 total yards of offense.

Sadly I was not present. It was New Year's Eve and I was watching from my home in Atlanta.

I attended the next 3 bowl games under James Franklin's 2011-13 teams, and got to see them go 2-1. Very likely the high water mark for Vanderbilt football in my lifetime. I'm glad my dear old Dad got to witness it before he passed. I wish he would have gotten to see the 3 wins in a row over the arch rival Vols 2016-18. First time that happened in nearly a century...

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
@Owen Bawn FWIW I was always a fan of Matt Ryan when I lived in the ATL. I actually had season tickets for a couple of years. I was in grad school and they had a pretty sweet deal for college students. I think I only paid $300 or so, and didn't have to purchase a PSL (a ridiculous policy for NFL franchises if ever there was one. Did you know the NFL is actually a cartel? I digress.....) anyway this is when the Falcons were in the Georgia Dome, which since it was owned by the city, thus no PSL fees. Of course now that's not the case with the new stadium. Anyway, since you're a BC fan, I'm sure you know Ryan's first ever NFL pass was for a TD.... This was just after the dark days of Vick's suspension (whom I met in person one time, at one of the bars in Buckhead of course - just a regular size guy, but man did he have speed....)

I know you're a Patriots guy but watching them come back from a 25 point deficit to the Falcons in Super Bowl 51 was one of the most disheartening experiences I've every had as a sports fan. (And as a Vanderbilt fan trust me I've had plenty) You know there's an odd parallel to Vanderbilt with that game. The 1987 Vanderbilt/UT game in Knoxville, Vanderbilt jumped out to a huge lead. 20-0 in the first quarter, then 28-3. The EXACT same score as the Patriots/Falcons Super Bowl, which of course UT then came from behind and won by 2 points, 38-36. I was in junior high listening with my dad on the radio. I will never forget it. Disheartening.

Anyway, that Super Bowl was crushing for the city of Atlanta and the Falcons franchise from which they will never recover. Never. Way worse than the Braves only winning a single championship when they should have had multiple ones with all that dominant pitching.

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
BTW - this is slightly off topic but I can't think about the Georgia Dome without thinking about the time folks were watching the live video feed of it's implosion and a MARTA bus comes along to block the view. Hilarious....

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I always enjoyed attending those Falcons game in the ATL. Saying it was an extremely diverse fan base would be an understatement. All the college or SEC games I grew up attending were "lily white" in terms of the fans. Nashville, Knoxville, Athens, Birmingham, Columbia SC. All the tailgates were like 99% white folks. When I was in ATL, my wife and I walked through the tailgating section and it was a sea of diversity, lots of ribs on the grill, lots of hip hop music playing. Good times indeed. I remember one time we were on the patio at Starbucks and counted about a dozen different ethnicities present in the patrons around us. That doesn't really happen where I live now.

Well @Owen Bawn I just learned that when the 'Dores host Stanford in Nashville this weekend, it will be the first PAC 10 (or I guess it's technically PAC 12 now) opponent they've played in 60 years and only the second ever. Only other time was a 28-21 loss to UCLA in Los Angeles during the Kennedy administration (1961)

To me that's kind of mind blowing.

I really would like to see that game in person, but alas, I've already passed along my tickets to my brother. It's less than a 2 mile walk/bike ride for him to the stadium. Much easier than my 300 mile drive :)

Oh and BTW - I just learned Vanderbilt escaped ESPN's dubious "Bottom 10" this week. The CSU Rams however, did replace us and took the #4 spot.
Do you think the game is sold out ? 2 miles from your house, no parking problems.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Do you think the game is sold out ? 2 miles from your house, no parking problems.

Are you being facetious? Of course it's not sold out. When was the last time there was a sell out for a non SEC opponent at Vanderbilt stadium? Maybe Kansas State in 2017. Maybe MTSU in 2001?

And it's not my house, it's my Brother's single bedroom/bathroom high rise condo downtown. A house that close to Vanderbilt's campus would sell for seven figures.

And yes, parking is always an issue in a major metropolitan area. Nashville is the largest city by a wide margin for any SEC school. I would suspect Lexington being a very distant second. Why would he drive an automobile? He walks/rides his bike to his job and everywhere. He's around 1.5 miles from the campus.

Last edited:
This of course may change when Austin becomes an SEC town.....
I thought you said that you gave 2 tickets to your brother? I understood because you gave your tickets away you were not able to go. That tickets were not available ? How was I to know that this is your brothers place? Anyway, I would go if I lived that close to the stadium.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I thought you said that you gave 2 tickets to your brother? I understood because you gave your tickets away you were not able to go. That tickets were not available ? How was I to know that this is your brothers place? Anyway, I would go if I lived that close to the stadium.

Yes, I did give a pair to my brother. So the deal is I'm a season ticket holder. I have a pair that used to be my fathers, who first got them about 40 years ago. He passed away a few years ago but I've continued to purchase the tickets, even though I haven't lived in Nashville for over 10 years. I typically only attend one or at the most two home games per season, and the remainder I give away to family and friends.

It's rare to have a sellout at Vanderbilt. You should go to a game there some time. When the SEC realignment happens it appears Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Alabama, and Auburn are going to be in one of the four, 4-team pods, which means the Tide will play in Nashville every other year. SEC fans always love a road trip to Nashville. It's a fun town and most the time their team wins. And everybody loves Nashville, it's one of the biggest tourists destinations in the southeast, probably in the whole country. When UGA rolls into town the next Saturday after this, I assure you they will have more fans in the stadium than Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
Yes, I did give a pair to my brother. So the deal is I'm a season ticket holder. I have a pair that used to be my fathers, who first got them about 40 years ago. He passed away a few years ago but I've continued to purchase the tickets, even though I haven't lived in Nashville for over 10 years. I typically only attend one or at the most two home games per season, and the remainder I give away to family and friends.

It's rare to have a sellout at Vanderbilt. You should go to a game there some time. When the SEC realignment happens it appears Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Alabama, and Auburn are going to be in one of the four, 4-team pods, which means the Tide will play in Nashville every other year. SEC fans always love a road trip to Nashville. It's a fun town and most the time their team wins. And everybody loves Nashville, it's one of the biggest tourists destinations in the southeast, probably in the whole country. When UGA rolls into town the next Saturday after this, I assure you they will have more fans in the stadium than Vanderbilt.
OK. That explains it. But still,how many opportunities come around to see Stanford? I will consider the Vandy/Bama game in Nashville. We go to a several Alabama games each year. Thanks J.W.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
UGA dog 7.jpeg
Uga Dog. 9.jpeg

Go, Dawgs!

My Canes are awful. Not news for anyone who follows college football. King must regret his transfer. The kid will not last the year.

My Canes are awful. Not news for anyone who follows college football. King must regret his transfer. The kid will not last the year.
Miami had several chances to take a 14 point lead in this game,but it didn't happened. A 14 point lead would have at least had a positive mind set for Miami. Will never know.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Top Bottom