What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday my shave was again good.

9-9-21.WR2.1.15.E-R.Manchurian.Vitos.649.JPG

Another good shave with the Wolfman WR2 1.15.

My basic kit was as it usually is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1325410
Plus I smell good.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Love that splash to bits!!

So, day 3 of trialling the Beast/R41 as a daily driver. Findings are inconclusive. It is undeniable that it delivers a fantastic shave, I'm very pleased with that aspect. I did get a few razor bumps and several weepers, however that may be down to variable factors in my skin of late perhaps. I DEFINITELY notice more feedback from the alum block.

Tentative conclusion: Anybody's guess as to how well my face will tolerate daily use of the noble beast. I shall continue until my face says, "Enough already" ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Love that splash to bits!!

So, day 3 of trialling the Beast/R41 as a daily driver. Findings are inconclusive. It is undeniable that it delivers a fantastic shave, I'm very pleased with that aspect. I did get a few razor bumps and several weepers, however that may be down to variable factors in my skin of late perhaps. I DEFINITELY notice more feedback from the alum block.

Tentative conclusion: Anybody's guess as to how well my face will tolerate daily use of the noble beast. I shall continue until my face says, "Enough already" ;)

Still awaiting my R41 GS, the one in stainless steel, which is somewhere between Ireland and my mailbox. Laying off with my other R41, for no good reason, as I wait.

Not claiming huge experience with the R41, but enough to know steep and very light works best for me. It is clearly for me a razor which rewards consistent use.

I used more of this splash today and enjoyed the scent more. I wish it were more long lasting in the way some of the other PAA splashes are. Still, I like it. To be fair, I shaved at 9:45 this morning; if I put my hand over my mouth and nose and try a bit, I can still appreciate the scent. (So, it's longer lasting than I thought.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reminds me, I discovered why my bottles of PAA spill so easily. I bought the Diver Down and Future Fiction and they had something the previous ones didn't -- a little plastic stopper with a small hole. Reckon I'll save those when I finish the bottle ;) Good night Badger & Blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday my shave was very good.

9-10-21.FOCS.CH3.Manchurian.Vitos.640.JPG

I've switched from the gold FOCS to the chrome FOCS for the moment.

Boy, is this a good razor!

Also used my usual Cube & Tube, the small ole Polsilver SI blade, flipped, and enjoyed the kit.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.DiverDown.640.6-26-21.JPG

This is a nice splash. I like its scent. I like how it feels on my skin.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was interesting and instructive to me.

9-11-21.Blackbird.Ti-Halo.RV-D01.Vitos.640.JPG

Mea culpa. I've sometimes said I don't much like the Blackbird as it has been subject to biting me. That may well have been user error. My technique with it may have improved.

What I now realize is I don't like the Blackbird handle. Yes, it's beautiful. My Blackbird handle is 85 mm so it's not too long. The problem for me is the handle is skinnier than I like.

This RR titanium Halo handle solves the problem. Yes, it's 15 or 20 mm longer than I prefer, but it will do for now. As you know, many, probably most handles do not work with the Blackland because their neck is too large to fit into the hole in the Blackbird's baseplate and clamp the head. My Halo handle has a OD of 8 mm and fits like it was made for the razor. I have a WCS/Charcoal Goods handle which also fits. Tibam will make a handle with an 8 mm neck. (Other aftermarket sources probably will too.)

With a fatter and lighter handle I like the Blackbird.

Yes, there is some blade feel. Not a huge amount of blade feel but a significant amount. I don't love or relish blade feel, but the blade feel of the Blackbird is not objectionable to me, nor does it seem scary to me.

I'd like to know what the razor's gap and blade exposure are.

By shave's end I feel a bit of that "overdone" feeling which I'm not a fan of. It's definitely there. (And not there with some of my other razors.) However, it does not seem to persist. At the moment it's maybe half an hour after the shave ended and my skin does not feel burned. Maybe the overdone feeling will return later in the day or tonight, but usually if things have gone badly wrong I'd know by now.

1631377697469.png

I have a question for David @never-stop-learning and anyone else in a position to know: Assuming you use this titanium handle, or the same titanium handle with both heads what's the difference between the SS Blackbird head and the titanium Blackbird head in terms of performance, post shave feel, blade feel, efficiency, comfort, effectiveness, or anything significant?

Rudy Vey butterscotch beehive handle
Shavemac 26 mm DO1 2 band

What a great brush!​
8-10-20.RV.D01.640.Brand.New.JPG

This brush just improves and improves. It was great to begin with, too.

12-20.CrownKingBayRum.AA.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

Yummy!​

I'd say the Blackbird might be a bit more efficient than the FOCS (or maybe not) and a little less efficient than the Wolfman WR2 1.15 (or maybe not).

I like the Blackbird, but if I had to keep only two of the three, I'd keep all my 500 razors. Who am I kidding.

1631378690175.png

(I do not actually have 500 razors. Yet.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a question for David @never-stop-learning and anyone else in a position to know: Assuming you use this titanium handle, or the same titanium handle with both heads what's the difference between the SS Blackbird head and the titanium Blackbird head in terms of performance, post shave feel, blade feel, efficiency, comfort, effectiveness, or anything significant?

Of the Brass, Stainless and Titanium versions, the Ti Blackbird is the one I use the most. Since I tried the Ti 'Bird with a PermaSharp blade, it has been elevated to my personal favorite DE. Dan, @Hannah's Dad, has stated that he prefers the Stainless 'Bird over the Ti 'Bird. Others prefer the Brass 'Bird. The thing to bear in mind that we are not talking huge differences here - all three Blackbirds are wonderful razors.

I normally use the stock (short) handles with my Blackbirds but, just for you, I will do shaves with both the Ti and Stainless Blackbirds using the RazoRock Ti Halo handle. The sacrifices I make in the never ending quest of BOSC SCIENCE! ;) :letterk1: :cool:

I will report back with status after today's shave. :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Saturday's shave was interesting and instructive to me.

View attachment 1326574

Mea culpa. I've sometimes said I don't much like the Blackbird as it has been subject to biting me. That may well have been user error. My technique with it may have improved.

What I now realize is I don't like the Blackbird handle. Yes, it's beautiful. My Blackbird handle is 85 mm so it's not too long. The problem for me is the handle is skinnier than I like.

This RR titanium Halo handle solves the problem. Yes, it's 15 or 20 mm longer than I prefer, but it will do for now. As you know, many, probably most handles do not work with the Blackland because their neck is too large to fit into the hole in the Blackbird's baseplate and clamp the head. My Halo handle has a OD of 8 mm and fits like it was made for the razor. I have a WCS/Charcoal Goods handle which also fits. Tibam will make a handle with an 8 mm neck. (Other aftermarket sources probably will too.)

With a fatter and lighter handle I like the Blackbird.

Yes, there is some blade feel. Not a huge amount of blade feel but a significant amount. I don't love or relish blade feel, but the blade feel of the Blackbird is not objectionable to me, nor does it seem scary to me.

I'd like to know what the razor's gap and blade exposure are.

By shave's end I feel a bit of that "overdone" feeling which I'm not a fan of. It's definitely there. (And not there with some of my other razors.) However, it does not seem to persist. At the moment it's maybe half an hour after the shave ended and my skin does not feel burned. Maybe the overdone feeling will return later in the day or tonight, but usually if things have gone badly wrong I'd know by now.

View attachment 1326590

Rudy Vey butterscotch beehive handle
Shavemac 26 mm DO1 2 band

What a great brush!​
View attachment 1326593

This brush just improves and improves. It was great to begin with, too.

I'd say the Blackbird might be a bit more efficient than the FOCS (or maybe not) and a little less efficient than the Wolfman WR2 1.15 (or maybe not).

I like the Blackbird, but if I had to keep only two of the three, I'd keep all my 500 razors. Who am I kidding.

View attachment 1326604

Happy shaves,

Jim
Many feel that the Ti Bird provides a ‘softer’ feel — and to some extent it’s true, and likely due to the lighter overall weight. The gap is very narrow — .4 something, as I recall. Blade exposure slightly more than the WR2 1.25.

Are you riding the Bird steep?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Many feel that the Ti Bird provides a ‘softer’ feel — and to some extent it’s true, and likely due to the lighter overall weight. The gap is very narrow — .4 something, as I recall. Blade exposure slightly more than the WR2 1.25.

Are you riding the Bird steep?

Yes, if a razor can't be used steep I'm not interested in it.

Of course, I use various angles. For buffing, sometimes I'm around the design angle. (What some call the neutral angle.)

Shallow cap riding? Nah.

Thanks for the gap and blade exposure information on the Blackbird, Dan!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave happened in the late afternoon. Partly because yesterday's shave lasted right well. Still it was time for a shave.

9-12-21.ATT.S2.Ti-Timelless.Shavemac2band.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

My ATT S2 was right on time though, or should I say Timeless. Ti of course.

A good razor, effective and efficient, the S2 is not terribly smooth feeling on my face. Partly I think the rather pointed combs are at fault. (To the degree fault is relevant.) I'm not saying this is a rough shaving bit of kit. It is not prone to damaging me. It has some blade feel. Not tons of blade feel but more than I like.

How 'bout this Shavemac brush! It's my Shavemac 30 mm Extra Dense 2 Band. (It is not D01; it was specially ordered as an extra dense knot.) The brush is very large with a quite fat handle, a handle which feels somewhat similar to a CH3 handle. The knot feels to me like a soft Manchurian. I like it very much.

The kit today included the same ole Polsilver SI (flipped and going strong), the Cube/Tube combo, hyaluronic acid, and Coconut Bay Rum splash. No moisturizer so far.

This was a good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

View attachment 1326604

Had me going for a moment there, I was sitting here thinking, "wow, I'm really amateur hour here" ;)

So, this is day six (I think) of trialling the Beast as a daily driver. I am really enjoying this razor, but I may have to end this trial soon. Too many bumps, not a huge amount of irritation, and at times resembles this song:

Still, I really, really like this razor, and I may not have mentioned earlier, it does a fantastic job on my trouble spots, especially the jawline. We shall see.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was good. New razor!

9-14-21.German37.Alum.Handle.Zen-Man.Cop.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

This is the RR German 37 GT.

It's brand new to me. It's also one of the few German 37 GT razors in the world, maybe the only one.

GT refers to the handle. Very lightweight aluminum. Made by a very skilled and generous member. Great handle it is.

I liked the German 37 much more than I expected. Whether it will attain Daily Driver status is yet to be ascertained, but first impressions are these.
  • Effective.
  • Smooth enough.
  • Blade feel but not objectionable amount, even ATG.
  • More efficient than some razors.
  • Easy to use, including finding the angle; can be used at the design angle, and, I think but we'll see, at a steep angle.
  • Maybe more comfortable steep. (Not 100% on this.)
  • If it were available in SS I'd likely buy one right this very second.
Also used the same old Polsilver blade, flipped, and the Cube/Tube.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.DiverDown.640.6-26-21.JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Last edited:
Tuesday my shave was good. New razor!

View attachment 1328092

This is the RR German 37 GT.

It's brand new to me. It's also one of the few German 37 GT razors in the world, maybe the only one.

GT refers to the handle. Very lightweight aluminum. Made by a very skilled and generous member. Great handle it is.

I liked the German 37 much more than I expected. Whether it will attain Daily Driver status is yet to be ascertained, but first impressions are these.
  • Effective.
  • Smooth enough.
  • Blade feel but not objectionable amount, even ATG.
  • More efficient than some razors.
  • Easy to use, including finding the angle; can be used at the design angle, and, I think but we'll see, at a steep angle.
  • Maybe more comfortable steep. (Not 100% on this.)
  • If it were available in SS I'd likely buy one right this very second.
Also used the same old Polsilver blade, flipped, and the Cube/Tube.

View attachment 1328100

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

That IS absolutely gorgeous.

I've discontinued trialling the Beast on a daily basis. So, today I used my most fool proof
razor, the Henson AL13, in hopes it would give my skin a break. Did it? Well, yes and no. Much less irritation, still a plenty smooth shave, however I did draw blood yet again. So, I'm thinking it's a combination of technique needing improvement and something wonky with my skin. Which seems to leave the question of the R41 as a daily driver as inconclusive.

Cheers all.

Here are some comments and corrections from your local friendly pedant, Jim. :biggrin:

Question
What does GT mean?

Answer 1
GT refers to the handle. — Correct

Answer 2
Very lightweight aluminum. — Lightweight yes, but not necessarily "very" lightweight or aluminum.

Answer 3
Made by a very skilled and generous member. — Correct

Answer 4
Great handle it is. — I bet it is, but it ain't a GT.

The GT is completely hollow, has very specific dimensions (length/diameter) and other attributes.

Here's a pic of a typical GT (custom threaded for a Fatip head):
Mk2+GTH-G_2021-08-13.jpg

Top Bottom