What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Today's Shave: 13-September-2021

Pre-shave: Warm water shower and CeraVe Moisturizing Soap
Soap: TOBS Coconut
Brush: Omega Professional Boar
Razor: Weber SS with the long handle
Blade Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow (1st use)
Aftershave: WH, Cremo Post Shave Balm, Pinaud Clubman

9.5/10. Trying to 3017 the TOBS and Cremo Balm, so using those daily until cooler weather comes. Three days growth. Three passes with the Weber mowed through the stubble with no problems and minor touch ups. The 7 O'clock yellows are good blades. TOBS gave me a great lather.

I always seem to get a closer shave with more stubble, so it was pretty much BBS all over.

Cheers!

Monday shave, last shave in South Florida, flying to New York this afternoon, two passes, plus a bit of clean up, 10/10, BBS, no weepers, no irritation, and no stubble:

Pre-shave: cool shower
Razors: Occam's razor- two-dot head
Blade: Feather AC Pro (1)- fresh blade=super close shave
Brush: Shavemac 20mm Pure badger- brush is nice for travel
Soap: La Toja stick- it's a very easy lathering, good soap
Post-shave: rinse, then some Epsilon Amber

Have a great week! Here's my pic:

PXL_20210913_145953543.jpg

Razor Muhle Rocca R95
Blade Polsilver SI (2)
Brush Omega Badger
Soap Proraso SB Wood&Spice
AS Proraso Sandalwood

First shave with the new Rocca on two days growth. An interesting razor. Not as smooth as the Lupo 95 but seems to equal the efficiency if not surpass it a bit. I need more shaves with it to decide but nevertheless, a nice performer... a lot of audible feedback and I ended up with a smooth, close and comfortable dfs/bbs. Love the grippy birch handle and the bead blasted(?) finish. A fine shave.

9/10 Chester Approved 😻

20210913_111445.jpg

PSX_20210912_083236.jpg

Razor: Gem Push-Button Gold
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Today's shave

My Beautytrack DE razor loaded with a Feather blade (yes you read that correct!).
My Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream (Sandalwood).
No shaving brush was used as I don't have one (yet).

Overall shave 9/10.

Reason for that score: Today marks a milestone in my DE shaving by loading my DE razor with a Feather blade and the shave was almost first class (not quite due to a few nicks but that was to be expected). It felt really awesome knowing that I am dragging one of the world's sharpest blades (based on what I have read) across my face! However I am not sure if I am getting the full potential out of the Feather blade by using it in a dirt-cheap razor. Thats why the score is not 10/10 yet.

Jason.

(PS I try to be as objective as I can in my shave reviews, but I fully understand everyone's experience is different)
Everyone started somewhere. Thanks for the good post.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

9/13/21
Razor: 1934 Gillette New Red and Black set
Blade: PermaSharp Super
Brush: Snoopy
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Stirling Barbershop

The Shave: 3 WTG passes for a DFS-. First shave with the new New and it was great, very smooth and excellent results. The Gillette New is my favorite DE razor (both SC & LC) and I know own three.
RR Gold Label had a great scent and performs well, a great bargain.
Snoopy (The Beagle m)gets better with every use. Fantastic brush by Shavemac.
Barbershop closing out the excellent shave. 9/10.
A7CA19DD-455C-4C7F-B774-B709395B7247.jpeg
486C1E0B-9920-41CF-B827-BEA9555B4FE0.jpeg
2B0C6A30-754C-418C-9078-38D66CAF7796.jpeg

First Shave Rating 10/10 BBS Time 20 minutes

Razor Maxwell June
Blade Gillette Nacet
Lather Edge Gel Sensitive Skin

I tried to approach the shave as a cartridge shaver. For the most part I probably used too little pressure. That is from my DE shaving experience. At times I did intentionally apply pressure that I never would with a DE razor. I had no weepers or irritation. The razor does give good audible feedback. If the angle is wrong it just doesn't cut. I struggled a little with razor angle. The handle needs to be close to a 45 degree angle and I am used to a much steeper angle. New razor new techniques required. I liked the audible feedback and I did have to do a lot of blade buffing to take my stubble down. You know when the razor is quiet it is time to move to another area. I did XTG one way and XTG the other. When I was a cartridge shave that is all I used to do. I could have stopped there with a CCS/DFS but I did my usual ATG and I achieved BBS. This is not an aggressive razor but for me, getting to BBS took more blade buffing/ razor strokes than I normally do. Once again could be I need to develop a better technique for this razor. Skin stretching definitely helps. I wet my face beforie applying canned goo for each pass but I forgot for my final pass so the lather was thick and clingy. It took a little more work to rinse the head clean when the lather was too thick. Once I was done I skipped the alum (never used it when I shaved with cartridges) but I did follow up with Captain's Choice Venture aftershave. There was some minor feedback with the aftershave in my trouble spots where it took more attention (I experience the same with all razors) but it is not to be confused with irritation as I had no irritation. I felt the handle was a little thin and the whole razor is much lighter than I am used to but I had no issues with gripping the razor and never felt like it might slip from my grasp. Feeling my face now an hour and half later it is as smooth as a porpoise's skin and I feel no razor burn.

This razor is easy on your skin. It would make a great choice for any shaver but I think those coming from cartridge razors would appreciate it most. If I had a teen shaver in my house this is the razor I would get them. Since the head doesn't pivot it also teaches the importance of maintaining the proper angle which is a good skill to learn if moving on to a typical DE razor. I will be using it more with different razor blades. I felt like my time of 20 minutes is a good 5 to 10 minutes quicker than my normal shave routine with a DE razor using shaving soap, bowl and brush.

View attachment 1326137
Great review, mine is on order. Can hardly wait....

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210913_134742~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird OC (Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze
Fragrance: G eàu Black EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

- Brush: Rooney with a Frank’s Shaving Manchurian knot
- Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.35SB
- Blade: Personna Israeli Red (2)
- Soap: Nobel Otter Two Kings
- Aftershave: Nobel Otter Two Kings
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

I am on a roll with these excellent nighttime shaves. 👍

The WR2 gets better and better with every use. Such a nice razor and the Israeli Red blade seems made for it.

Two Kings was hate at first smell as I am not a fan of rose. it took me about a dozen uses to come around and now I enjoy the oud/rose scent. The AS is excellent as well.

My FrankenRooney performed admirably on its first shave. A bit of a lather hog but it will come around as did my other Frank’s Manchurian knot.

9.5/10

12B29702-68F1-4888-8161-185311C04326.jpeg

Last edited:
This was a "Daily Double" long in the making:
tempImagerDMxHr.jpg

Brush: PAA Solar Flare
Lather: Stirling Island Man
Blade: Kai Titan Mild (8)
Razors: Feather AC SS (two passes; WTG, XTG) and Blackland Vector (touchups)

I've always wondered about doing a couple easy passes with the Feather AC, and then swapping the blade into the Vector to clean up the tough bits. It worked great. I didn't chase BBS at all today, just enjoyed both razors and had fun with it. Results were varied, ranging from SAS to DFS. Boy is my shavette technique rusty. Wow. Rating: 9/10.

Brush: SV 26mm High Mountain White Manchurian, with Bog Oak Handle and Pewter Crown

Blade: Feather (2)

Soap: Just arrived today my 3rd jar of MDC, I now have Fougere, Argumes and as of today Original. Just 3 more jars to go.

Razor: Blackbird SS SB

Post Shave: 4711, Hyaluronic Acid

Another incredibly great shave at some point everyone needs to own a SV brush.

10/10
FAF9CA8B-F2F9-452E-B016-D7921208B60B.jpeg
89403A7E-3BFB-4327-8E12-EB647E5DC0B0.jpeg
EACC97A5-C5ED-457E-8B81-DCA5743EDC7F.jpeg
B7CC83D6-85DE-4BE4-BB1D-0FFCF1656BC5.jpeg

Sept Stirling SE Tue 14 SOTD
Soap Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Yaqi AC Aluminum (Raster)
Blade Feather Professional 8th use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Very nice soap! One of my favorite...especially for the nice scent plus of course the lather is always creamy and slick...
Another great shave with the razor paired with this blade. Surprisingly, the well-used blade is crispier, smoother, and comfortable compared to the proguard. 3passes for a dolphin smooth finish without any issues. Matching aftershaves were great. 10/10!
20210914_102134.jpg

Prep : Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Feather Artist Club SS
Blade: Schich Proline P-30 Blade (D2)
Brush: Omega Pro 49 Boar
Soap: Stirling Eucalyptus and Mint
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Biotiq Wild Grass AS Gel
Rating : 9.91/10 :pipe:

Very close, comfortable and smooth BBS in 3 passes ! :001_wub:
f_ss.jpgproline30.png

Top Bottom