What's new

Another reason why I have started DE shaving.

Just something I wanted to mention on here. Another reason why I have started using a double-edge razor (barring the quality of the shave) is because I also want to cut down on the use of plastic and in this day and age, that is quite an important factor. I am using an old plastic water bottle to store my used DE blades since it won't shatter if accidently dropped on the floor like glass. Would it be possible to recycle all of those used blades one way or another? Or for safety reasons shall I use an empty Red Bull can to hold the used blades?

Happy shaving to all on this thread.

Jason

I use inexpensive blade disposal banks from Amazon or B&M vendors. Once they are full I will duct tape them and write “sharps” and “used razor blades” all over the tape with a Sharpie marker. Then I put them in the garbage.

I believe pharmacies will take them, but I haven’t checked myself.

Below is the sort of thing I use. I usually get 3 for about $10-12. They hold 200-400 blades depending on the brand/model…

I use inexpensive blade disposal banks from Amazon or B&M vendors. Once they are full I will duct tape them and write “sharps” and “used razor blades” all over the tape with a Sharpie marker. Then I put them in the garbage.

Below is the sort of thing I use. I usually get 3 for about $10-12. They hold 200-400 blades depending on the brand/model…

Thanks for that. For me the empty water bottle is doing the job for now and it will take aaagggeeesss to fill up. Once it is full it will be securely sealed up and labelled 'Danger - Used Razor Blades'.

Jason.

Thanks for that. For me the empty water bottle is doing the job for now and it will take aaagggeeesss to fill up. Once it is full it will be securely sealed up and labelled 'Danger - Used Razor Blades'.

Jason.
I think that is perfect. You are doing much more than most other shavers likely. 👍 And we are only talking about actually throwing blades out every year or two (or more).

I think that is perfect. You are doing much more than most other shavers likely. 👍 And we are only talking about actually throwing blades out every year or two (or more).
Thanks for that. My reasoning for using an old water bottle is that the neck of it is just wide enough to take a blade and the screw-on cap prevents from any blades accidently coming out. Plus being made of plastic it won't dent or shatter if accidently dropped. The bottle is stored out of harms way.

Jason.

Feather makes a cheap metal blade bank. I see no reason why you couldn’t squash it flat when full and chuck the whole thing into the recycling. I don’t know if that will be enough to save the planet but every little helps.

Attachments

• 4AD53F81-1C5B-4D26-AE5F-8EFED17D1F86.jpeg
    4AD53F81-1C5B-4D26-AE5F-8EFED17D1F86.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 4

+2! This^ Works well for me! :thumbup:

Don't forget, the Feathers and others in plastic have a storage slot that prevents accidental discharge. ;)

That's what I use!

It might be easier to use one of those big blade banks, but the blades I have already have a disposal option. There's no additional plastic waste, because the blades I bought came with it already.

There’s a recent thread on blade banks here. I completely agree that one of the appealing aspects of wet shaving is less waste. I agree that it’s convenient to have the blade disposal on the plastic tucks but I’ve had second thoughts about buying 100 packs when they all come that way. I guess that’s picking nits at that point but still.

Yep! Another great reason to ditch the carts.

My blade bank is an old coffee can. When it's completely full I'm sure I'll have a lot more gray hairs on my head.

Top Bottom