What's new

Top 3 Most Efficient and Smooth DE Razors ?

Daily shaving with light to medium stubble, the Rockwell 6C with plate 3 is the smoothest giving a DFS for me, plate 4 is giving a BBS shave but then less smooth.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Smooth and efficient? Lots out there.

Not offering the following DE razors in any particular order as each one fits the description, "smooth and efficient":

Current:
Blackland Razors Blackbird SB (and OC)
Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Fatip Grande
Charcoal Goods Brass Level2
Charcoal Goods Stainless Everyday Razor
Timeless Ti 0.68-SB
Timeless Stainless 0.95
Karve Brass SB-B and SB-C
Rex Envoy
RazoRock GC84-P and GC84-OC
RazoRock BBS
Ikon B1 OC
Ikon B1 Standard

Readily available vintage:
Gillette Pre- & Post-war Fat Handle Techs
Gillette Old Type
Gillette NEW RFB
Gillette Goodwill 160
Gillette Red Tip

There are more but this list should get you started. ;)

YMMV :)

Figured I'd add to my 'Current' list:

Blackland Razors Stainless Vector (SB & OC plates)
Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB
Blackland Razors Brass Blackbird SB
Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Timeless Ti Slim SB
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB
ATT Mixed Metal CR1 & CH1
Muhle Rocca R95 v4
Karve Brass SB-G

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
!!!? The plate that Chris had to test to make sure it was even safe!!

The SB-G is quite safe. Search my Mid-Priced DE comparison thread for SB-G, several shaves with notes in there.

A similar opinion from @Chan Eil Whiskers is here: Damn Comfortable Shave - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/damn-comfortable-shave.526419/post-11270462

Using my customary steep angle, the SB-G is very efficient and very smooth. In my opinion, one of the most effective razors I've tried. A great value and definitely in my Big Dogs category. :)

YMMV :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
!!!? The plate that Chris had to test to make sure it was even safe!!

Here is a link to one of my shaves with the SB-G. There is some great conversation in the following several posts:

Wow, this is a tough one. I have quite a few that work well. It would be easier for me to list the handful that do not work for me.

Well, here are three that I recently used that excel at efficiency and smoothness, in no particular order:

1. RazoRock GC .84P
2. Merkur Progress (is it cheating to list an adjustable?)
3. Gillette 1958 TV Special (Super Speed)

Here is a link to one of my shaves with the SB-G. There is some great conversation in the following several posts:

May I ask how many days growth do you usually use Karve SB-G for, and for how many passes?
I would imagine it’s not necessarily a daily shaver, with 2-3 passes each day…?

The answers to this thread vary quite widely and it seems this is because we have different thresholds for what we consider to be an efficient razor. I prefer efficient razors that will give me a very smooth shave without excessive buffing. I have soft skin and quite stiff stubble, and I usually shave every second or third day because my hair is not dark and daily shaving is not necessary for me.

Of the razors I have, I find the Blackland Tradere OC, Timeless Bronze 0.78 OC, Timeless Slim 0.5 OC, and Blackland Blackbird to be efficient razors. I have listed these in order of smoothness, the Tradere being the smoothest. It is a wonderful razor for me. Note that the SB version of the Tradere is a different razor design, and I have not tried it, but I understand it is not as efficient as the OC model.

I do not consider the following razors to be efficient, but they are smooth and I can still get a good shave with them with a little more work. If I stop at a sensible point then these razors are smooth enough to not cause undue irritation and still yield a result that is nearly as close as my efficient razors. These are the Blackland Vector, H&S P076 Ti OC, Timeless 0.95, Timeless 0.68. I have listed these in order of efficiency, the Vector and P076 being most efficient.

I also have a Tatara Nodachi which so far I have not found to be efficient and it is not smooth for me either. But I have had the occasional shave with it where I enjoyed the blade feel greatly and I have not given up on the razor yet. Put this one down as to be determined. I need to experiment further.

So, for overall efficiency and smoothness, where efficiency is my priority, the Blackland Tradere OC is my best without any doubt - it is very efficient indeed and I find there is very little trade-off in smoothness. I rate the Timeless 0.78 Bronze and 0.5 Slim very highly too and use them very frequently. I would then choose my Blackland Vector and H&S P076 OC over the Blackbird as, even though I find then slightly too inefficient, the difference in smoothness more than makes up for the higher efficiency of the Blackbird. I just have to do more buffing or accept a shave that is not quite as close, but I still enjoy the shave more.

Sorry, that’s a little long to answer the question, but I think just saying what I think is efficient and smooth isn’t really telling anybody anything useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anu

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
May I ask how many days growth do you usually use Karve SB-G for, and for how many passes?
I would imagine it’s not necessarily a daily shaver, with 2-3 passes each day…?

My beard grows pretty fast so I shave every day using my standard 3-passes plus any touchups that are needed.

My skin is not sensitive.

I use a lot of different razors but could certainly use the Karve Brass SB-G as a daily driver - steep angle, minimal pressure, sharp blade. :)

The Karve Brass SB-G only looks scary. With proper technique, it is a very effective razor.

If the SB-G plate is more than you want to tackle, there are plates (SB & OC) from AA to F.

The best of the best: Blackland Blackbird Ti
This razor beats all my previus razors like 100/1

..I do not know, will 1# place changed cuz new Stando Svarog Ti is comming in soon..
It`s a new razor from Polish artist Stando. Sorry, it`s that new, no picks on Google, but FB has some + videos.
looks very promising.

Top Bottom