What's new

Great inexpensive razors

Brother luvmysuper,
Respectfully, you may have gotten the prices of the Gillette New Improved razor tangled up during the typing. In 2012, I bought a beautiful triple-plated silver 1921 Gillette New Improved razor, including its silver blade bank and its black leatherette case. My notes about the purchase read thus: "It cost $5 in 1921, the equivalent of about $65 dollars in 2012."
SIL-SIL-038-21-05.jpg

easy, jagen david E02 cost me like £6 on Amazon uk few years back,
I love this razor, long handle with good grip and plastic, light and got fair bit of blade exposure and it's really efficient too, honestly for the price I got it, it's a cracker

The best bit about this razor is matched with a sharp blade it mows down hair like no tomorrow and I don't have to do that many passes as I would with a milder razor even with a sharp blade

Amazon has a "private label" EJ DE89, with a nice knurled surface on the handle, for $26. It's the EJ "Kelvin":

. . . https://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-Double-Safety-Knurled/dp/B00K6Z24SK

The head is Zamak, but EJ's chrome plating is excellent. Put a bit of grease (Vaseline works well) on the thread, to avoid corrosion.
It's a lot of bling for $26, and my EJ DE89 has been my most-used razor for a decade. (I'm experimenting with a RR Lupo aluminum, which may de-throne the EJ DE89.)

. Charles

I have several vintage Gillette techs and super speed razors that I paid $8 to $20 including shipping. They all shave as good as any razor I own including several that cost much much more.

I have several vintage Gillette techs and super speed razors that I paid $8 to $20 including shipping. They all shave as good as any razor I own including several that cost much much more.
Agreed. Can’t go wrong with a tech
Amazon has a "private label" EJ DE89, with a nice knurled surface on the handle, for $26. It's the EJ "Kelvin":

. . . https://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-Double-Safety-Knurled/dp/B00K6Z24SK

The head is Zamak, but EJ's chrome plating is excellent. Put a bit of grease (Vaseline works well) on the thread, to avoid corrosion.
It's a lot of bling for $26, and my EJ DE89 has been my most-used razor for a decade. (I'm experimenting with a RR Lupo aluminum, which may de-throne the EJ DE89.)

. Charles
Another excellent choice but as my preferences have changed I prefer a little lighter and thinner handle

My favorite inexpensive razor is a Parker 97R or 94R. (Same head just a different handle.) It is only $28.00 on Amazon and it gives a great shave.
Parker_Arko.JPG

Another vote for the Gillette Tech or the modern Chinese Gillette Super Blue. In fact, I just bought a couple to replace the ones I've lost or damaged over the last few years along with 50 of the Blue blades. I've tried a lot of DE razors and this humble razor/blade outstrips just about everything else I've used, so it'll be worth the month-long wait for them to arrive.

From reading many fellow shaver's experiences here and drawing from mine, the issues with very cheap razors is
a)the material and
b) the tolerances

The material you cannot do much about, one cannot expect unobtanium for the price of a lunch. Tolerances seem to be hit or miss, however nothing that can render the razor unusable. Maybe one needs to spend a few seconds everytime they change the blade, nothing unreasonable. From what I have seen, I would not hesitate to recommend:

i) Any safety bar Merkur. My first DE. After 15 years it shows wear on the threads but for the price I think I've got my money's worth. These are a known quantity, not much to add to the countless threads.

ii) Any open comb Fatip. What you gain in material (brass) you lose in tolerances. It takes me all of 10 seconds to align the blade if it doesn't go in with the first try. Good blade rigidity for comfortable shaves on tough beards. Really inexpensive here in the armpit of Europe (Greece), less than 20€.

iii) Lord LP1822L, I believe that this should be the L6. Dirt cheap, I got mine for 4.99€. Obviously aluminum and pot metal mix, but the thing aligns the blade perfectly first time every time. A little oil helps to protect the threads and if they get chewed oh well, you can always get another one. With a sharp blade it can be very smooth or very efficient depending on angles and all that jazz. I get great comfortable shaves with it.

This excludes the wonderful vintage stuff that the lucky US based members have access to, but they difficult to obtain here and in any case they are not my thing.

I have a chinese Super Blue on the slow boat, when it gets here I will update the acquisition thread.

looks nice, how do they compare say to the black beauty, slims and fatboy?
That's alot to compare to each other first lol. Compared to the fatboy I find it's a good bit milder. Higher profile head than a slim, and much heavier than a black beauty. The cool factor though is easily 10x! It's just a beautiful razor.

I have been wet-shaving for some time using a DE. In that time I have bought and own several (including ATT, Timeless, Mergress, etc). I also own a 1968 Superspeed that I paid about $20 for. I have found (over time) that I reach for this inexpensive gem more than the others. Anyone else own an inexpensive razor (modern or vintage) that you find performs as well or better than your pricier razors?

I have many current and vintage DE and SE razors — the inexpensive Lord L6 and the gen-1 1965 Schick Krona (pre Krona) remain favourites; they both shave superbly, are smooth, efficient, agile in use and beautifully balanced. I remain aghast at the robust engineering and design of the Schick Krona in particular and suspect an awful lot of R&D went into its development and production. Every aspect of the razor's design, feel and performance appears to have been thought through meticulously. The Lord on the other hand, whilst nothing like as robust, just performs.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The modern razors of today are CNC machined and often almost straight copies or heavily inspired by vintage designs from Gillette or Gibbs in the case of the well known Rex razors.

What seems very different to me is a trend towards ever more aggressive razors nowadays, that might be limited to enthusiast forums though.

If it comes to modern and mild, give Henson a try.

For 18 months, I have been shaving exclusively with the Feather AS-D2. But I had the chance last week to get my hands on a Tech gold ball. I paid $ 15 and with only 3 shaves on the meter, I find the Tech shaves better than the Feather.

1. Snmirn. Has negative blade exposure, but is a very smooth and comfortable shaver for under $10.
2. The RR Lupo is a superior stainless steel razor, but exceeds $20 if that is your threshold.
Wow, where can you find a Snmirn for only $10 ???

Top Bottom