What's new

Muhle R89 Advice Please

I am about to take the plunge into DE after a lifetime of carts and disposables. My choice is the Muhle R89 Regular or Twist model. Any advice on the pros and cons of either is welcome. I don’t want anything too aggressive and I like the sound of a longer handle. I also have looked at the Merkur 23C and it’s another option! Any ideas on both these brands would be welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The R89 is a great place to start.

Worth looking at the Edwin Jagger DE89 and the King C Gillette as these are basically exactly the same head - the KCG handle isn't as good, in many people's opinions, though.

+1 for the original. Alternatively, get an R89 head (it is widely available), and a handle of your choice, i.e. a Razorock or any other affordable handle. They will have better knurling/grip, and you can tailor the lenght/weight to your needs.

p.s.: I wouldn't go above 90 mm, 80-90mm is plenty. I have the razorock 100mm ti handle, and it is a bit weird.

Worth looking at the Edwin Jagger DE89 and the King C Gillette as these are basically exactly the same head - the KCG handle isn't as good, in many people's opinions, though.

The King C Gillette is definitely a contender at the price point. Appreciated

Consider getting the Gillette Heritage razor. It has the R89 head on a much nicer handle along with a case and blades. The price is pretty reasonable.

The brass handle is a made in USA reproduction of the old Gillette common bar handle.

+1 for the original. Alternatively, get an R89 head (it is widely available), and a handle of your choice, i.e. a Razorock or any other affordable handle. They will have better knurling/grip, and you can tailor the lenght/weight to your needs.

p.s.: I wouldn't go above 90 mm, 80-90mm is plenty. I have the razorock 100mm ti handle, and it is a bit weird.

Thanks. Since I am used to carts and relatively longer handles, I thought it might be useful to go that route though.

Consider getting the Gillette Heritage razor. It has the R89 head on a much nicer handle along with a case and blades. The price is pretty reasonable.

The brass handle is a made in USA reproduction of the old Gillette common bar handle.

Thanks for the advice. The items are being bought in Germany though so it’s easier to stick to their better brands for the purchaser. Appreciated

Thanks for the advice. The items are being bought in Germany though so it’s easier to stick to their better brands for the purchaser. Appreciated...
Well, I've personally never liked the Muhle handles very much. You can buy just the head as a replacement part and then use another handle of your choice. Just a thought.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

A HUGE +1! I have nothing to add here, everything has already been explained precisely and accurately. :thumbsup:

Since I am used to carts and relatively longer handles, I thought it might be useful to go that route though.

I can see how you might think this...

The whole thing is slightly different though, you'll grip it slightly differently and the angle you'll hold the handle at to get the blade to the right angles on your face will be different as well, so there's very little that carries over from cart shaving.

The Merkur 33c/34c and 38c (heavier handle on this one) are a very similar head to the R89 as well and that's another great contender to look at if you're in Germany I would've thought.

Another razor I'd definitely recommend to beginners is the Baili BD176 (update head) - it's Chinese and cheaper but it's a superb shaver with no major flaws to mention, I've given these to several people who have really enjoyed them coming from carts.

You could also look at the Italian Fatip Gentile as a great first razor (I'd look at the gentile rather than the open combs) - the advantage is longer life as it's a brass razor, the disadvantage is the potential need for minor fiddling with alignment when loading your blade.

There's plenty out there these days, you're spoiled for choice!

Thanks for the comment. I suppose the question re the Twist is firstly about size (it's bigger) and secondly, does the addition of some more moving parts make it as durable as the regular R89?

I can see how you might think this...

The whole thing is slightly different though, you'll grip it slightly differently and the angle you'll hold the handle at to get the blade to the right angles on your face will be different as well, so there's very little that carries over from cart shaving.

The Merkur 33c/34c and 38c (heavier handle on this one) are a very similar head to the R89 as well and that's another great contender to look at if you're in Germany I would've thought.

Another razor I'd definitely recommend to beginners is the Baili BD176 (update head) - it's Chinese and cheaper but it's a superb shaver with no major flaws to mention, I've given these to several people who have really enjoyed them coming from carts.

You could also look at the Italian Fatip Gentile as a great first razor (I'd look at the gentile rather than the open combs) - the advantage is longer life as it's a brass razor, the disadvantage is the potential need for minor fiddling with alignment when loading your blade.

There's plenty out there these days, you're spoiled for choice!
Thanks so much for the comments and it does help. I have always liked the feel of a longer handle - but of course, that's all I am used to! There are so many models and for Muhle, it's tough for me to decide between the regular R89 and the slightly larger Twist or Grande!

does the addition of some more moving parts make it as durable as the regular R89?

In a practical sense, probably little difference - there are still Gillette Old types well over a hundred years old that are in use today with a fundamentally similar design to the twist.

Thanks so much for the comments and it does help. I have always liked the feel of a longer handle

I guess it depends why you prefer a longer handle - the advantage with the 3-piece (ie: not the twist) is that you can just change the handle out for a longer/shorter/heavier/lighter one at some point in future.

You'll want to find a grip that discourages you from using too much pressure - a longer length isn't really necessary for this, though some guys do prefer it.

In all honesty I'd probably recommend the regular R89 first rather than the larger grande or the twist.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I would echo the comments about shorter handles being preferable, at least for me. I do like heavier handles, however. Both the Muhle R89 and the Edwin Jagger DE89 mentioned here are excellent choices, but I would toss the Merdur 34C heavy duty short handle razor into the ring. I prefer it to the DE/R89 series of razors, just as comfortable and forgiving, IMO, but a bit heavier and grippier in the hand. It is my favorite modern razor.

+1! Great advice! All fine razors in the ‘mild/moderate’ category.

Pick one and a blade sampler pack. Then off to the races! :a29:

Thanks so much for the comments and it does help. I have always liked the feel of a longer handle - but of course, that's all I am used to! There are so many models and for Muhle, it's tough for me to decide between the regular R89 and the slightly larger Twist or Grande!
Handle length preference is very much a personal preference. I have larger hands and I find longer and thicker handles easier for me. I also prefer heavier razors. Both of these preferences are contrary to popular consensus. I do find that shorter handles make it easier for me to maintain the proper angle when shaving downwards from chin to the base of my neck as I near my chest. I have learned to adapt and that is the only advantage for me, otherwise I find longer handles are better(for me). You will find that many of us end our comments with YMMV (your mileage may vary) indicating that personal preference is a very individual thing. It is probably best to go with the stock handle on your razor of choice for a while and then experiment to find what handle length you like best. Warning, this way of thinking leads to the rabbit hole where the endless search for the optimal shave begets AD's otherwise known as Acquisition Disorders. These come various varieties such as Razor Acquisition Disorder (RAD), Blade AD. Brush AD, Soap AD etc.

I love my Muhle R89 Twist. It is a 2 piece with a longer handle (my personal preference) which I like. I have many R89 type razors with many different handles, but when I want an R89 head, I typically reach for my Muhle Twist. If you like a shorter handle, the Gillette Heritage is a good choice. I sent an email to P&G, and asked them if the head on the Gillette Heritage was a Muhle and they answered that it was.

Top Bottom