What's new

Barrister and Mann's "Excelsior" base has been discontinued.

Will confirmed on Facebook that Excelsior has been retired; all non-reserve soaps now in production will be in an updated SoftHeart base.

Is there a way to tell what base is in a specific tub of soap? I know with A&E, the soap base is printed on the lid. Does B&M do something similar?

Is there a way to tell what base is in a specific tub of soap? I know with A&E, the soap base is printed on the lid. Does B&M do something similar?

I highlighted the Excelsior symbol with a yellow circle. It’ll be on the ingredient sticker depending on where yours is, either on the bottom of the tub or on the side of the tub.

537763C8-7A8D-4336-9424-7DE1AEFBD0E7.jpeg35B64B6D-DC18-49A4-9820-24D9271BC0DF.jpeg

I saw a video with Will a while ago and he said he tested different bases for the new base (when they chose Excelsior), including Excelsior and PP8 Softheart, the testers loved Softheart’s performance. He ended up going with Excelsior because it was a harder base and would last longer then Softheart so customers wouldn’t go through tubs as quick and be upset that they were poor value per shave. He also said his 4oz soaps are more then 4oz so if it dries out a bit and shrinks, it’ll come down to 4oz rather then start at 4oz and go below. He’s doing the new modified Softheart so I guess he’s figured out how to make it firmer and last longer.

Last edited:
I highlighted the Excelsior symbol with a yellow circle. It’ll be on the ingredient sticker depending on where yours is, either on the bottom of the tub or on the side of the tub.

View attachment 1326873View attachment 1326874

I saw a video with Will a while ago and he said he tested different bases for the new base (when they chose Excelsior), including Excelsior and PP8 Softheart, the testers loved Softheart’s performance. He ended up going with Excelsior because it was a harder base and would last longer then Softheart so customers wouldn’t go through tubs as quick and be upset that they were poor value per shave. He also said his 4oz soaps are more then 4oz so if it dries out a bit and shrinks, it’ll come down to 4oz rather then start at 4oz and go below. He’s doing the new modified Softheart so I guess he’s figured out how to make it firmer and last longer.
Thanks! It looks like I have the Excelsior base. 🙂

So, then what is modified "SoftHeart?"
It's not that I will be spending soonest, I'm still clearing a few of the white jars, and then lots of second bases, and whatever Excelsior I have. I'll not be totally clueless as I have one of the limited SoftHearts... but it will be a while. So, what news is SoftHeart?
(I won't be surprised if, someday, B&M will have a soap I pay to purchase the 'internet intellectual rights license' and by looking at my screen will have had the smoothest, fastest, pain-free shave ever. Yay Will "!" )

Shame that it’s been discontinued. I only have one B&M soap (FMM) and it’s in the excelsior base. I love the base but the scent is too sweet for me and probably won’t reorder that particular scent

Some people don't experience a difference between excelsior and soft heart. Others like myself prefer soft heart. I think that either way everyone should be happy/happier.

I really need to try the Soft Heart base. I think I am the only person in the entire world that just gets okay performance with Excelsior, Reserve and White Jar B&M bases. Not bad at all mind you, just not as great as the general consensus seems to be. But the scents, nobody does scents like B&M which is what always keeps me coming back.

I really need to try the Soft Heart base. I think I am the only person in the entire world that just gets okay performance with Excelsior, Reserve and White Jar B&M bases. Not bad at all mind you, just not as great as the general consensus seems to be. But the scents, nobody does scents like B&M which is what always keeps me coming back.
May I ask your favorites?

May I ask your favorites?
Hallows, Leviathan and Seville are all must haves for me. I have gone through 2 each of Seville and Leviathan, and I have so many soaps that never happens! Cheshire is also up there, but sadly the scent just doesn't last at all for me, though it is beautiful in use. Lavanille was a top favorite, but I slowly started to not like scents with heavy vanilla in them, and now I almost can't stand any vanilla in any scent, which is strange and is a real bummer.

Some people don't experience a difference between excelsior and soft heart. Others like myself prefer soft heart. I think that either way everyone should be happy/happier.
Yeah, SoftHeart is the better base and, with the new version being much more hard, a sound decision on Will's part. Now if only Rod and Mandy would do the same with their mutton tallow base...

So it appears reserve, excelsior, and soft heart are all getting discontinued and replaced with a new base- omnibus. It sounds like it is the harder version of softheart but lanonin free and with cupuacu butter. The new Leviathan drop will be in this particular base. So- very interesting news from the incredible B&M.

So it appears reserve, excelsior, and soft heart are all getting discontinued and replaced with a new base- omnibus. It sounds like it is the harder version of softheart but lanonin free and with cupuacu butter. The new Leviathan drop will be in this particular base. So- very interesting news from the incredible B&M.
That’s good news.

I really liked the original SoftHeart but getting only 20-ish shaves out of a 4oz tub was nuts. I think I got 21 shaves out of my last tub of Hallows.

Looking forward to trying out some of the original scents in the new base. 👍

Hallows, Leviathan and Seville are all must haves for me.

The only B&M I once bought was Leviathan, based on (mixed) recommendations. Like Tabac, you apparently either love it or hate it. While I love Tabac, I couldn’t get rid of that tub of Leviathan fast enough! Fortunately found a buyer on Reddit…

My skin and lanolin don’t agree. The Reserve base is exceptional. B&M claims the Omnibus is better. That will be impressive if true. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Looking forward to trying out some of the original scents in the new base. 👍

I need a new tub of Seville in a few shaves so glad the timing of this works out. I just starting digging into the reserve base and find it baffling that it's not as highly regarded as other soaps. The stuff is damn good. I have a feeling some people may be missing Reserve in due time.

The Roam I got in the Softheart base is pretty firm, so I guess it's the "new modified" one. But both the Excelsior and Softheart base share the same ingredients. The only difference is consistency?

The Roam I got in the Softheart base is pretty firm, so I guess it's the "new modified" one. But both the Excelsior and Softheart base share the same ingredients. The only difference is consistency?

The last Roam drop i think was a couple months back and i don't think he had yet modified soft heart at the time- would venture to guess your Roam is the original PP8 base. Excelsior and Soft heart aren't the same, at least they don't feel the same to me- regardless of their consistency- some may disagree and find no or negligible difference. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom