What's new

Maxwell June Razor. Anyone try this razor yet?

Maxwell June Review. First Shave

My razor arrived today and I examined the packaging. The packaging appears to be environmentally friendly from the cardboard box to the twine used to keep the razor in place. It fits with the manufacturer's theme of reduced unrecyclable waste. Here is a photo.

MJ Open Box.jpg

I purchased the "starter kit" which includes everything you see here. The razor head and handle, the guard/insert, the press (3 pieces), a blade disposal tin and inside the tin a tuck of Astra SP blades.

Starter Kit.jpg

I carefully examined the razor. I have corresponded with Maxwell June founder, Robert Glenn, and he told me that the razor head had some slight imperfections and that he would send me a replacement razor head when they were back in stock. I didn't see any blemishes on the razor so I will be keeping it. It appears to me that the manufacturer really pays attention to the details and is interested in customer satisfaction and will make things right if there is a problem. These are the kinds of people that I enjoy doing business with. I decided to load a Wizamet blade that was 7 shaves old just to see what happened when I went to remove the blade. Blade loading was quick and easy. When I went to remove the guard/insert like the video shows by hand I couldn't get a good grip on it so I used the press to remove the guard insert. It came out easily. It appears that the tight fit is what holds the blade in place and keeps it from shifting during use. The blade had snapped into two pieces, one wider than the other and basically fell out. Picking up those two little slivers of blades made me nervous of cutting myself but I managed with no blood loss. I think this razor would really benefit from a feature on the Winning Razor which is a magnet embedded at the bottom of the handle to make picking up those blade slivers easier.

MJ Used Blade.jpg

After that I loaded a new Gillette Nacet blade as I wanted a really sharp blade to give this razor an opportunity for it's best showing. Nacets are also a blade that I have found to be pretty unforgiving, causing me blood loss if I am off of my game in a typical DE safety razor. The blade sits fairly deeply in the press so it doesn't give much wiggle room for blade misalignment during loading.

MJ Nacet Load.jpg

I Pressed the Nacet blade into the razor. Once again the bload loading was quick and easy. It appears to me that the blade gap on the lower blade is very narrow but larger for the upper blade.

MJ Loaded.jpg

In my correspondence with Robert he stated that their target market is users coming from wet shaving with cartridge razors. With that in mind I decided like I did most of my 40 years as a cartridge razor shaver. I used canned goo, Edge shaving gel, warmed up in my Conair lather heater. I believe that most people coming from cartridge razors probably use canned goo. I timed my shave to see if there was a significant time savings.

MJ SOTD.jpg

First Shave Rating 10/10 BBS Time 20 minutes

I tried to approach the shave as a cartridge shaver. For the most part I probably used too little pressure. That is from my DE shaving experience. At times I did intentionally apply pressure that I never would with a DE razor. I had no weepers or irritation. The razor does give good audible feedback. If the angle is wrong it just doesn't cut. I struggled a little with razor angle. The handle needs to be close to a 45 degree angle and I am used to a much steeper angle. New razor new techniques required. I liked the audible feedback and I did have to do a lot of blade buffing to take my stubble down. You know when the razor is quiet it is time to move to another area. I did XTG one way and XTG the other. When I was a cartridge shave that is all I used to do. I could have stopped there with a CCS/DFS but I did my usual ATG and I achieved BBS. This is not an aggressive razor but for me, getting to BBS took more blade buffing/ razor strokes than I normally do. Once again could be I need to develop a better technique for this razor. Skin stretching definitely helps. I wet my face beforie applying canned goo for each pass but I forgot for my final pass so the lather was thick and clingy. It took a little more work to rinse the head clean when the lather was too thick. Once I was done I skipped the alum (never used it when I shaved with cartridges) but I did follow up with Captain's Choice Venture aftershave. There was some minor feedback with the aftershave in my trouble spots where it took more attention (I experience the same with all razors) but it is not to be confused with irritation as I had no irritation. I felt the handle was a little thin and the whole razor is much lighter than I am used to but I had no issues with gripping the razor and never felt like it might slip from my grasp. Feeling my face now an hour and half later it is as smooth as a porpoise's skin and I feel no razor burn.

This razor is easy on your skin. It would make a great choice for any shaver but I think those coming from cartridge razors would appreciate it most. If I had a teen shaver in my house this is the razor I would get them. Since the head doesn't pivot it also teaches the importance of maintaining the proper angle which is a good skill to learn if moving on to a typical DE razor. I will be using it more with different razor blades. I felt like my time of 20 minutes is a good 5 to 10 minutes quicker than my normal shave routine with a DE razor using shaving soap, bowl and brush.

Last edited:
Thank you @APBinNCA and @ackvil ! This has been a very busy week getting my home ready to put on the market. My wife and I had to clear out for the weekend for viewings by perspective buyers so we are in a hotel and finally catching our collective breaths. I like the razor. I always did a lot of blade buffing and passes so it wasn’t a problem for me. More use is needed to fine tune the performance. I suspect that since this was designed for use by those coming from cartridge razors that it was designed so the shaver could use pressure without any negative consequences. Regardless I was able to get an irritation free BBS shave on my first shave. I can’t say that about every razor that I have used.

Maxwell June Review. First Shave

My razor arrived today and I examined the packaging. The packaging appears to be environmentally friendly from the cardboard box to the twine used to keep the razor in place. It fits with the manufacturer's theme of reduced unrecyclable waste. Here is a photo.

View attachment 1326047

I purchased the "starter kit" which includes everything you see here. The razor head and handle, the guard/insert, the press (3 pieces), a blade disposal tin and inside the tin a tuck of Astra SP blades.

View attachment 1326052

I carefully examined the razor. I have corresponded with Maxwell June founder, Robert Glenn, and he told me that the razor head had some slight imperfections and that he would send me a replacement razor head when they were back in stock. I didn't see any blemishes on the razor so I will be keeping it. It appears to me that the manufacturer really pays attention to the details and is interested in customer satisfaction and will make things right if there is a problem. These are the kinds of people that I enjoy doing business with. I decided to load a Wizamet blade that was 7 shaves old just to see what happened when I went to remove the blade. Blade loading was quick and easy. When I went to remove the guard/insert like the video shows by hand I couldn't get a good grip on it so I used the press to remove the guard insert. It came out easily. It appears that the tight fit is what holds the blade in place and keeps it from shifting during use. The blade had snapped into two pieces, one wider than the other and basically fell out. Picking up those two little slivers of blades made me nervous of cutting myself but I managed with no blood loss. I think this razor would really benefit from a feature on the Winning Razor which is a magnet embedded at the bottom of the handle to make picking up those blade slivers easier.

View attachment 1326054

After that I loaded a new Gillette Nacet blade as I wanted a really sharp blade to give this razor an opportunity for it's best showing. Nacets are also a blade that I have found to be pretty unforgiving, causing me blood loss if I am off of my game in a typical DE safety razor. The blade sits fairly deeply in the press so it doesn't give much wiggle room for blade misalignment during loading.

View attachment 1326057

I Pressed the Nacet blade into the razor. Once again the bload loading was quick and easy. It appears to me that the blade gap on the lower blade is very narrow but larger for the upper blade.

View attachment 1326059

In my correspondence with Robert he stated that their target market is users coming from wet shaving with cartridge razors. With that in mind I decided like I did most of my 40 years as a cartridge razor shaver. I used canned goo, Edge shaving gel, warmed up in my Conair lather heater. I believe that most people coming from cartridge razors probably use canned goo. I timed my shave to see if there was a significant time savings.

View attachment 1326091

First Shave Rating 10/10 BBS Time 20 minutes

I tried to approach the shave as a cartridge shaver. For the most part I probably used too little pressure. That is from my DE shaving experience. At times I did intentionally apply pressure that I never would with a DE razor. I had no weepers or irritation. The razor does give good audible feedback. If the angle is wrong it just doesn't cut. I struggled a little with razor angle. The handle needs to be close to a 45 degree angle and I am used to a much steeper angle. New razor new techniques required. I liked the audible feedback and I did have to do a lot of blade buffing to take my stubble down. You know when the razor is quiet it is time to move to another area. I did XTG one way and XTG the other. When I was a cartridge shave that is all I used to do. I could have stopped there with a CCS/DFS but I did my usual ATG and I achieved BBS. This is not an aggressive razor but for me, getting to BBS took more blade buffing/ razor strokes than I normally do. Once again could be I need to develop a better technique for this razor. Skin stretching definitely helps. I wet my face beforie applying canned goo for each pass but I forgot for my final pass so the lather was thick and clingy. It took a little more work to rinse the head clean when the lather was too thick. Once I was done I skipped the alum (never used it when I shaved with cartridges) but I did follow up with Captain's Choice Venture aftershave. There was some minor feedback with the aftershave in my trouble spots where it took more attention (I experience the same with all razors) but it is not to be confused with irritation as I had no irritation. I felt the handle was a little thin and the whole razor is much lighter than I am used to but I had no issues with gripping the razor and never felt like it might slip from my grasp. Feeling my face now an hour and half later it is as smooth as a porpoise's skin and I feel no razor burn.

This razor is easy on your skin. It would make a great choice for any shaver but I think those coming from cartridge razors would appreciate it most. If I had a teen shaver in my house this is the razor I would get them. Since the head doesn't pivot it also teaches the importance of maintaining the proper angle which is a good skill to learn if moving on to a typical DE razor. I will be using it more with different razor blades. I felt like my time of 20 minutes is a good 5 to 10 minutes quicker than my normal shave routine with a DE razor using shaving soap, bowl and brush.

Fantastic review. Thanks!

thanks @South Dakota Guy for the detailed review. I still have reservations with this concept but in general I'm happy the industry didn't stop and driven enterpreneurs are exploring new ways. Also kudos for the envirnmently friendly thinking during the manufacturing and packaging. And a great example for 3D printing's advantages in rapid prototyping.

It would be a nice option if the blade insert press design would be available in .stl or other digital format for a reduced price, so no shipping and manufacturing cost for the guys and you can print your own at home or reprint it if you eventually lose one of the bits in your den. Or the design's cost can be included in the razor's price, when you buy one without the plastic bits.

What I don't like - this razor has 4 external pieces and these things tend to disappear in the most misterious ways. The blade loading/unloading process seems fiddly. Also $25 for a 3D printed plastic thingy is a bit steep in my book. If they're injection moulded I would understand as tooling would be quite expensive but in SDG's review the parts are clearly made by (additive) 3D printing. Seems very well designed, tho.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
thanks @South Dakota Guy for the detailed review. I still have reservations with this concept but in general I'm happy the industry didn't stop and driven enterpreneurs are exploring new ways. Also kudos for the envirnmently friendly thinking during the manufacturing and packaging. And a great example for 3D printing's advantages in rapid prototyping.

It would be a nice option if the blade insert press design would be available in .stl or other digital format for a reduced price, so no shipping and manufacturing cost for the guys and you can print your own at home or reprint it if you eventually lose one of the bits in your den. Or the design's cost can be included in the razor's price, when you buy one without the plastic bits.

What I don't like - this razor has 4 external pieces and these things tend to disappear in the most misterious ways. The blade loading/unloading process seems fiddly. Also $25 for a 3D printed plastic thingy is a bit steep in my book. If they're injection moulded I would understand as tooling would be quite expensive but in SDG's review the parts are clearly made by (additive) 3D printing. Seems very well designed, tho.

This.
Heck, just give me the option to buy the .stl for a buck or two so I can print a replacement if mine gets lost or damaged.

You and @luvmysuper have good points and perhaps the manufacturer will move in that direction. I know the cost of the materials in the 3D printed parts is much less than the purchase price. With that in mind MJ is a business and they need to make money to be successful. I can imagine design and redesign have a cost that needs to be recouped as well as capital outlays for the printer etc. If one person gets the printer file for the press and decides to share it with others then recouping their investment might become difficult. That said you can always write to the manufacturer and see if they would be amenable to sharing/selling it with you. Probably the Digital Millennium Copywrite Act would come into play if the file was shared without consent.

You and @luvmysuper have good points and perhaps the manufacturer will move in that direction. I know the cost of the materials in the 3D printed parts is much less than the purchase price. With that in mind MJ is a business and they need to make money to be successful. I can imagine design and redesign have a cost that needs to be recouped as well as capital outlays for the printer etc. If one person gets the printer file for the press and decides to share it with others then recouping their investment might become difficult. That said you can always write to the manufacturer and see if they would be amenable to sharing/selling it with you. Probably the Digital Millennium Copywrite Act would come into play if the file was shared without consent.

Sharing the design without the IP's owner is most likely a crime in most countries and obviously it would have a detrimental effect on the company. Selling the printable digital format (the design)by the company would be a great option I assume, especially on a somewhat reduced price AND no warranty on the home printed part. I think the majority of the buyers would still buy the company's printed press with the razor, but offering the stl for purchase would be a nice option for the minority like me.
(for example the ebooks are not that cheaper to buy, even there are zero printing, logistics and shipping cost and the distribution cost is a fraction compared to the paper books)

Btw, copying the design would not be an issue anyway, with a vernier caliper and some free time you can remake this design at home if you want with freely available tools, not selling the STL file won't stop that if that's the concern. I personally would rather purchase the design to combine my two hobbies and reduce the environmental impact, shipping, packaging, etc.

Second Shave

My wife and I are spending the weekend in a hotel so I used my travel kit this morning but I did toss the razor into my Dopp bag.

Razor Maxwell June
Blade Gillette Nacet (2)
Brush Omega synthetic
Soap Wickham 1912 Ninfeo di Egeria
AS Captain's Choice Venture

Rating 10/10 BBS

Today's shave was really nice. Once again three passes, no irritation and a BBS finish. I have spent a lot of time and effort and I experienced many days of a painful face learning how to shave with a DE safety razor without using pressure. Today I attempted once again to roll back the clock and shave like I did with a cartridge razor. I used more pressure and it did reduce the blade buffing and strokes needed for a BBS shave result. The soap I used lives in my Dopp bag and has pretty good performance plus excellent post shave feel. I tried to make a thinner lather and it rinsed pretty easily for the first two passes but by the third pass the soap in the brush had thickened enough that rinsing the razor head was difficult. A major contributing factor was the poor water pressure in my hotel room sink which felt to be about one third of the pressure in my sink at home. I experienced no weepers or irritation however there was a little more feedback from my aftershave than after the first shave. The back of the razor is flat and solid and does not appear to have a vent for lather to flow through. Lather flows through the guard gap for the lower blade but it is between the blades where the clogging appears to occur. This razor head is small and I don't know if it is possible to provide adequate lather/stubble discharge between the blades. I remember this being a common issue when I used cartridge razors. As a point of interest, Robert confided to me that they are working on a razor that is more geared towards experienced wet shavers. I hope that he is successful!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well, I'm a little disappointed.
I was emailed a few days ago and was told that they ran out of product, and expected a new delivery on the 9th, so my 2 day turn around as promised on the website couldn't be met.
I got another email today saying that there's been a delay in delivery of parts and that they are looking at "about" another 5 business days before they even receive the next shipment of parts to fulfill orders.
Nice of them to email me, but if you state 2 day turnaround, keep parts in stock.
If you can't keep parts in stock, don't promise 2 day turnaround.

I was emailed a few days ago and was told that they ran out of product, and expected a new delivery on the 9th, so my 2 day turn around as promised on the website couldn't be met.
I got another email today saying that there's been a delay in delivery of parts and that they are looking at "about" another 5 business days before they even receive the next shipment of parts to fulfill orders.
Nice of them to email me, but if you state 2 day turnaround, keep parts in stock.
That is disappointing. It sounds like they didn't anticipate the demand for their product very well.

Amen

Top Bottom