What's new

Tabac Refill Shaving Soap review (New 2021 formula)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Background

There's a new version of the Tabac shaving soap. The reviewed version will be refered to as the "new" formulation.

New - Ingredients : Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Laurate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum, Lauric Acid, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, CI 77891, Isoeugenol, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Citronellol, Coumarin, Benzyl Alcohol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol
IMG_1268.JPG

What's going on?

Glad you asked! Well, My plan is to review the new "vegan" formulation against the previous formulation (Tallow) and maybe a few other soaps. Tabac is a product that I know well. I have the Tabac shave stick as a reference (with Tallow). Since one is a shave stick and the other one is a puck, I will use both like a shave stick.

What about the water?

According to a washable diaper website(I'm not kidding), I stand at 25-50 ppm (which qualify as soft water). However, I checked with the city and they have 3 different water treatment plants. I was able to find which one was connected to my house. I pulled the 2021 report and it plays between: 115 min, 118 avg and 124 max (ppm always). I had a look at the 2020 report (identical) and the 2019 report was slightly better but around the same numbers.

So, at the end of the day, I believe that I have moderate to hard water since the city is publishing something every year.

What's am I doing?

Okay, my plan is to shave for 30 days with the new formulation and alternate with the old formulation for 1 shave only every week or so. I might switch from a boar to a badger to a synthetic brush but I will try to keep the same setup for at least a week. That way, I should be able to keep a consistent result.

How do I shave?

My usual is a 3 pass shave. I currently have a Merkur 38C with Astra Green blades. I use a finest badger. I face lather by loading the soap on my face directly and then, I build the lather.

How about an update?

okay, I will try to regroup theses. Specific updates will be posted when required but, I can already post a before.
IMG_1267.JPG

So this is a picture of the new formula. I put the puck in an Old Spice mug, it's pretty snug in there and I can't push it any further. It's all right, since I will mostly face lather, that makes it easier.

Luc

Staff member
Looks

The packaging is very similar to the previous version, the soap is wrapped like the previous version. The colour is a bit different as noted by other members. It's only a colour thing at this stage, so no big deal.

Scent

It's different. I went from one to another for a good 5 minutes. How different? Not that much. It's not the same, that I have to agree but it's in the same range of scents. It might be more soapy and less granny (@luvmysuper, I know...). It's not a bad thing IMO. This version might not be as much on the Hate/Love club. You might have more "it's all right now".

Lather

I used both the puck (first) and stick (second) and it's pretty comparable IMO.
IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG

Luc

Staff member
Finally, I put some lather on my hand when the shave began and I checked on it when I was done (maybe 3-4 minutes later).

New formula
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG

Tallow version
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG

So, the tallow version seems more stable but to be honest, since the lather isn't staying on my skin without a shave for that long, it doesn't really affect the end-result.

I will continue posting in this thread and form a conclusion next month.

Luc

Staff member
The subject is still hot but just to keep a link to the why this thread exists

Finally, I put some lather on my hand when the shave began and I checked on it when I was done (maybe 3-4 minutes later).

New formula
New Tabac.png

Tallow version
Original Tabac.png

So, the tallow version seems more stable but to be honest, since the lather isn't staying on my skin without a shave for that long, it doesn't really affect the end-result.

Huge difference between the two. The New Tabac lather is already dry (not only less "stable") on you skin, three minutes after applying.
The Original Tabac (tallow version) looks great.

I have read enough on this forum to be able to paint, what I consider, a pretty accurate picture of the new Tabac.

Thank you for posting and reviewing this soap. And not only.

Cheers.

Luc

Staff member
Next update, same test using the Tabac new vegan formula.

I put some lather on my hand when I was done face lathering and checked again after 3 passes. This time, I added more product (the good old trick!). The lather seems more stable. Next, I need to take my Synthetic brush out!
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
The Vegan Tabac almost seems more stable then the tallow one :cuppa:
The synthetic brush makes a difference I feel.
It looks like it. I must dig in my stash, I believe that I have a v1 synthetic somewhere and I also need to try a badger and horse hair to see if it's vegan vs non-synthetic hairs...

I had one of the best shaves of my life this morning using new formula Tabac with a Simpson T3 synthetic brush, Feather AS-D2 razor loaded with a two day old Feather blade. No-one was more surprised than me. The combo resulted in a BBS shave in one pass(!) with touch-ups. I was blown away. The lather was slick and protective throughout the shave with a very comfortable post-shave feel. I can't say it was all due to the Tabac, but the stuff certainly performed well when paired with the T3!

Luc

Staff member
Next update, with a boar brush. I used the oversized Omega 10098.

As mentioned above, it's either a YMMV type of situation or star-aligned(or else...). The lather is not as good as the Synthetic but, it's closer to the Synthetic than the boar brush.

The test remains the same, I lather my hand before the shave and took a picture after the shave. Still on the new formula.
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG

I believe that I will need to re-do the badger test but I will possibly use a different badger (just to mix things up)!

New formula
View attachment 1325931View attachment 1325934

Tallow version
View attachment 1325935View attachment 1325936

GREAT COMPARISON!! :a29: :a29:

Reactions: Luc
Top Bottom