What's new

Merkur Progress first impressions

Great razors! I've stumbled across a few, here are two vintage and one modern. Love them all.

full
Wow, I've never seen a gold Progress before. Nice!

It's been a year and 4 months since I bought it and I think it is time to write an update. Since then I have used the Progress with many different blades. I gotta admit, this is probably the ultimate razor for me. I have 100+ and logically the journey should end here, but who knows... There is no logic in RAD. :letterk1:

At least 50% of the time I use with mild blades @5, but even then it is such a nice shave every time. I even may be half asleep, still nice results, no nicks, irritation, nothing!

Last year I bought a spare top cap, and 2 weeks ago I bought a second Progress. I even bought the Merkur box that comes with the 570. Do I need to say more?

Last edited:
One of these razors I've been eying for a long time and I just might take the plunge since its very reasonable priced on Amazon right now

One of these razors I've been eying for a long time and I just might take the plunge since its very reasonable priced on Amazon right now
Did you read the first post in this thread. I have been eyeing it for more than 10 years!
:facep:
My mistake.

Decided to use my Progress (bought it used off of the b/s/t a few months back to have alongside my Mergress) and though it has its quirks with alignment issues and the dial being a bit off, the razor performs exceptionally well and is as smooth a razor there is with a Feather installed. This one is an older model with the red ink on the number dial basically worn off. Still is legible and feels good in the hands. I miss the knurling from other razors in my den but, it’s not a deal breaker and a quick pass of alum on the fingertips resolves the slippery handle issue. A smooth and comfortable 3 pass shave without a single issue. The Mergress is tighter on tolerance concerning blade alignment and dial adjustments yet, when the OG is set up properly it shaves just as good. Besides, those little quirks give it some character….

2D1F8C68-9BF8-427E-9334-94670A3D090E.jpeg

I held one in the shaving shop as I was comparing the different razors. I don't think the yellow adjusting knob is incongruous at all. In fact I quite like it. The Progress actually felt much nicer in the hand than the Futur (this is subjective but to me the Futur felt a bit 'toy-like').

Jason.

I held one in the shaving shop as I was comparing the different razors. I don't think the yellow adjusting knob is incongruous at all. In fact I quite like it. The Progress actually felt much nicer in the hand than the Futur (this is subjective but to me the Futur felt a bit 'toy-like').

Jason.

Trust me it is not a toy. And I am talking about the Futur, not about the Chinese ones. Today I had a shave @5 with a Super-Max Stainless around 9.30 in the morning. Later in the day around 3 o'clock was at the barber for a haircut. Mentioned what I used in the morning and said it is still BBS after almost 6 hrs. The barber looked carefully at my beard and was actually impressed.

Trust me it is not a toy. And I am talking about the Futur, not about the Chinese ones. Today I had a shave @5 with a Super-Max Stainless around 9.30 in the morning. Later in the day around 3 o'clock was at the barber for a haircut. Mentioned what I used in the morning and said it is still BBS after almost 6 hrs. The barber looked carefully at my beard and was actually impressed.

Like I said what I posted was purely subjective. I don't know what it was, but perhaps it was the lack of knurling on the Futur's handle, or how the clip-on head works. Or perhaps I think the Progress is a more handsome looking razor. But overall, I am starting to really enjoy this DE shaving business. Certainly much better than my Mach3.

Jason.

Like I said what I posted was purely subjective. I don't know what it was, but perhaps it was the lack of knurling on the Futur's handle, or how the clip-on head works. Or perhaps I think the Progress is a more handsome looking razor. But overall, I am starting to really enjoy this DE shaving business. Certainly much better than my Mach3.

Jason.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer the Progress to the Futur (although by a narrow margin). Not only because I prefer smaller and lighter razors. Mainly because the blade is a bit more rigid in the Progress compared to the Futur.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the Progress to the Futur (although by a narrow margin). Not only because I prefer smaller and lighter razors. Mainly because the blade is a bit more rigid in the Progress compared to the Futur.

Thats exactly what I had in mind. I have held both the Progress and the Futur. I do know how the Futur clip-on mechanism works and frankly I have some reservations over its durability over long term use. I wouldn't want the head to suddenly come flying off during a shave and I end up hurting myself.

I do agree that the Progress (being a two piece razor) holds the blade more securely and I do indeed think it looks better than the Futur. And I think the yellow adjusting knob is a nice touch; it adds some visual appeal to the razor. To me the Futur looks a bit 'robotic' and plain.

Now I am torn between getting a Progress or a 39c Slant. Great!

Kind regards.

Jason.

Thats exactly what I had in mind. I have held both the Progress and the Futur. I do know how the Futur clip-on mechanism works and frankly I have some reservations over its durability over long term use. I wouldn't want the head to suddenly come flying off during a shave and I end up hurting myself.

I do agree that the Progress (being a two piece razor) holds the blade more securely and I do indeed think it looks better than the Futur. And I think the yellow adjusting knob is a nice touch; it adds some visual appeal to the razor. To me the Futur looks a bit 'robotic' and plain.

Now I am torn between getting a Progress or a 39c Slant. Great!

Kind regards.

Jason.
And let's not forget another important thing. The Futur has a straight and smooth guard. The Progress has a very specific shaped guard with those small ridges. They actually make the shave a bit more aggressive and that is why the Progress max gap (@5) is only 0.94mm, whereas the Futur @6 is 1.65mm.
My advice: Get the Progress. Start with the lower settings. :devil:

And let's not forget another important thing. The Futur has a straight and smooth guard. The Progress has a very specific shaped guard with those small ridges. They actually make the shave a bit more aggressive and that is why the Progress max gap (@5) is only 0.94mm, whereas the Futur @6 is 1.65mm.
My advice: Get the Progress. Start with the lower settings. :devil:

I'll make up my final decision when I take another trip to the shaving shop on my birthday. I will ask my wife to help as well. The Progress must be THAT good if it has been made for over 50 years! Does the Progress work well on stiff, tough, wiry chin hair like mine? If it does, please describe in more detail on how to get the best from it etc.

Thank you and kind regards.

Jason.

I'll make up my final decision when I take another trip to the shaving shop on my birthday. I will ask my wife to help as well. The Progress must be THAT good if it has been made for over 50 years! Does the Progress work well on stiff, tough, wiry chin hair like mine? If it does, please describe in more detail on how to get the best from it etc.

Thank you and kind regards.

Jason.
Yes it will work with the worst of whiskers. Is that you on the photo? If so, I can tell you mine are black and a bit denser on the cheeks compared to yours. The barbers at the salon where I get a haircut say my whiskers are like 10/10 and are glad I don't want a shave. :lol:
What blade would you use in the Progress for a start?

Yes it will work with the worst of whiskers. Is that you on the photo? If so, I can tell you mine are black and a bit denser on the cheeks compared to yours. The barbers at the salon where I get a haircut say my whiskers are like 10/10 and are glad I don't want a shave. :lol:
What blade would you use in the Progress for a start?

Yes thats me in my profile pic holding my Beautytrack razor. Was taken using my laptop's built-in camera.

If I was to get a Progress, I would start off by using a Merkur (ahem) blade in it. Though the thought of using a Feather blade in the Progress sounds interesting.

Jason.

Yes thats me in my profile pic holding my Beautytrack razor. Was taken using my laptop's built-in camera.

If I was to get a Progress, I would start off by using a Merkur (ahem) blade in it. Though the thought of using a Feather blade in the Progress sounds interesting.

Jason.
With the Feather start @1. There might even be no need to go higher.
With the Merkur (ahem) start @4 :302:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I'm still really new to wet shaving I started of with half DE shavettes i ended up with a lot of blood letting at the start but persevered and ended up getting BBS shaves most of the time with maybe 1 or 2 small weepers a week. Then I stated looking at DEs the progress was the first De razor I bought and im so glad I did this little razor to me is amazing. I use a nacet in mine starting off at 4 for the WTG pass 3 for XTG and 2 ATG pass if there's any touch ups needed I turn it back up to 3. I never get any irration and very rarely get cuts or weepers I've bought a few more razors since then and the only 1 that comes close is the R1. I usually shave every other day but even if I l dont shave for 5 days my progress will moe down my stubble with no problems and plus to me its a stunning looking razor plastic nob or not

Top Bottom