What's new

Lupo stainless?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It’s been a bit since my last post here. Came around to using the Lupo .95 along with the Ethos soap and it was like putting on a well worn and comfy baseball cap. It kind of leaves one perplexed at still the questions that many have concerning this series from Razorock, Lupo series that is. It just covers nearly every range from mildly efficient to mid-aggressive yet still staying an overall smooth shaver. It’s relatively easy on the skin depending on your choice of size and it takes down whiskers with substantial ease. Sometimes we just overthink our shave parameters or the tools we use. Most times all it takes is a simple and slight adjustment on one’s shave angle or technique and bingo, it just clicks. Not every razor does that (as some offer a smaller or narrower window for angle adjustment) understandably but, the range for which the Lupo offers for technique variation is really quite remarkable.

It’s not a jewel in terms of finish nor a totally utilitarian looking piece of kit say, the Rockwell 6s or The Merica razor from WSC. It sits right in the middle with quality and craftsmanship equal to some of the best in this niche industry. You could buy the complete whole set up for well under $150 US and nearly be able to call it an adjustable a la the 6s/6c or the Karve. And whatever plate(s) that does not work for one, you get a nice return by putting it up on the b/s/t and keeping what works.

It’s not the end all be all razor in the market. Unfortunately, that razor will never exist simply because of the individual demands that a user expects from their tool based on their specific criteria and needs.

But, this razor sure does bring value and performance to the table for the vast majority of wet shavers out there. Every time I use it I enjoy the heck out of it because it simply delivers a fine shave 99% of the time. The other 1% percent when it‘s a bit off is solely on user error, in my experience. Yes, it shares a place with my Rocnel Sailor ‘21, Taiga, Timeless Ti and a couple of others in the den. Not bad company to be quite honest…..

View attachment 1325444
Gus, Great review on your Lupo experiences, great shave gear also.

High praise from a member @GlazedBoker who's used many DEs and as usual, a great photo.

I wholeheartedly agree. With perhaps 30 or so DEs currently in my collection, I find myself reaching for the 72 or 95 Lupo the most. Just had a shave with the 95 paired with a polsilver on 2 days growth... baby smooth, irritation free perfection. My old skin is fairly sensitive, so the comfort, closeness and intuitive performance that the Lupo delivers always amazes me. Not half bad in the looks department either.

cheers

20210909_123651.jpg

High praise from a member @GlazedBoker who's used many DEs and as usual, a great photo.

I wholeheartedly agree. With perhaps 30 or so DEs currently in my collection, I find myself reaching for the 72 or 95 Lupo the most. Just had a shave with the 95 paired with a polsilver on 2 days growth... baby smooth, irritation free perfection. My old skin is fairly sensitive, so the comfort, closeness and intuitive performance that the Lupo delivers always amazes me. Not half bad in the looks department either.

cheers

View attachment 1325457

Thank you, you’re too kind. But, you’re correct in that the Lupo is a world class shaver and a beauty to look at and use…

Now if only Razorock would make a full open comb version.....

That would give another option to those that want a bit more efficiency and blade feel.…

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Now if only Razorock would make a full open comb version.....
I'm sure they are looking into that option of a total open comb for the Lupo 2nd generation, it is just getting the machine shops that can make that quality a razor might be the hard part. Joe seems to be the QC fellow and has done a spectacular job of this important part of a quality razor.
The Mamba.70 S&D sale is a perfect example of QC most company's strive for in a competitive world to assure clients their best thoughts on their behalf. I will always buy Razorock products because they are client friendly and listen to customers wants IMO.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It’s been a bit since my last post here. Came around to using the Lupo .95 along with the Ethos soap and it was like putting on a well worn and comfy baseball cap. It kind of leaves one perplexed at still the questions that many have concerning this series from Razorock, Lupo series that is. It just covers nearly every range from mildly efficient to mid-aggressive yet still staying an overall smooth shaver. It’s relatively easy on the skin depending on your choice of size and it takes down whiskers with substantial ease. Sometimes we just overthink our shave parameters or the tools we use. Most times all it takes is a simple and slight adjustment on one’s shave angle or technique and bingo, it just clicks. Not every razor does that (as some offer a smaller or narrower window for angle adjustment) understandably but, the range for which the Lupo offers for technique variation is really quite remarkable.

It’s not a jewel in terms of finish nor a totally utilitarian looking piece of kit say, the Rockwell 6s or The Merica razor from WSC. It sits right in the middle with quality and craftsmanship equal to some of the best in this niche industry. You could buy the complete whole set up for well under $150 US and nearly be able to call it an adjustable a la the 6s/6c or the Karve. And whatever plate(s) that does not work for one, you get a nice return by putting it up on the b/s/t and keeping what works.

It’s not the end all be all razor in the market. Unfortunately, that razor will never exist simply because of the individual demands that a user expects from their tool based on their specific criteria and needs.

But, this razor sure does bring value and performance to the table for the vast majority of wet shavers out there. Every time I use it I enjoy the heck out of it because it simply delivers a fine shave 99% of the time. The other 1% percent when it‘s a bit off is solely on user error, in my experience. Yes, it shares a place with my Rocnel Sailor ‘21, Taiga, Timeless Ti and a couple of others in the den. Not bad company to be quite honest…..

8-27-21.Yuma.WolfmanWRH2.Zenith3Band.Vitos.640.JPG

Yuma
WR2 handle

(Not all handles fit the Yuma.)​

But can it compete with the Yuma?

(I'm kidding. I'm kidding. However, the Yuma has its fanboys for sure.).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just had my first shave with a Lupo .72. Gillette 7 O' Clock Yellow blade.

On the first pass, I tried steep on one side, shallow on the other. For the rest of the shave I went steep. So shall I, moving forward.

It's only my first shave, so I may well be in the honeymoon phase, but I'm blown away by how much more comfortable it was than my Mamba .70! I absolutely love the blade feel and audio feedback I get from the Lupo. I'm sure it helps me adjust my angle as I go, because my ears are a lot better than my eyes.

What a terrific razor!

I truly believe this is a “different strokes for different folks” scenario here. Without going to much into a razor version of “David vs. Goliath” type of a story, I’d like to put a little bit of my perspective on what the RR Lupo series of razors brings to the table for me. I’ll also put in a cent or two on how it compares to the luxury high rollers in the razor game.

I do have a few luxury shavers and just for the sake of this discussion, let’s just classify luxury razors over the $100 price point as the Mason Dixon Line and to keep things in a perspective view. It wouldn’t matter to me if that price point went up another $50 to $100 for some, it’s irrelevant in my eyes. Just want to keep it basic and simple.

The razors that I have in my shave den (in the DE category) that cross the $100 price threshold are as follows:

1. Timeless Ti: In my opinion, of the luxury razors that I own it is one of the best performers that I have come across in the shave game. Perfect weight, balance and a face feel that is 2nd to none. World Class and if I can ONLY have one razor for all times, it would be the Timeless Ti .95 SB.

2. H&S PO76 Ti: It cracks at the heels of the Timeless Ti and sometimes I think it matches it stroke for stroke but, I think I get better consistency with the Timeless Ti over the H&S in terms of shave performance and it’s overall ease of use in finding the angle and just a bit wider cutting window. Overall though, this razor is amazingly good.

3. HomelikeShaving Taiga Adjustable: Yeah, I know there aren’t many, they come from half way around the world in Russia and unfortunately, us westerners aren’t very keen on trusting products coming in from our comrades in the “Motherland”. But, make no mistake about it, this is perhaps and arguably the best modern adjustable made to date on this Earth. From gentlemanly mild to wicked bad assery cutting, this razor brings it in spades. Even in the higher ranges plus when you go past and over-clock for lack of a better term, the inherent smoothness that is felt throughout its adjustability range is sick. The 1st release the Taiga was offered in both SB & OC set ups to customize one’s shave to infinite possibilities. There is no equal when it comes to what one gets. Ease of use, maintenance and a uniqueness all its own. This razor should be illegal....

4. Timeless SS: The OG from Timeless. Only bested by its Ti sibling, barely. Still it is wonderfully balanced, has pure breed cutting pedigree and is a more affordable option of the two. Weighs a bit more and to some that’s a good thing, others not so much. Honestly, I’m not mad that I have one. Additionally, there is one called The Slim with a thinner cap & base profile that is an exceptional performer (also in Ti too). I consider this razor ”The Gatekeeper”. If you aspire to be a luxury razor with performance and can’t get passed the Timeless SS, well, look at what happened to Ramon & The Rojas Family vs El Gringo in “A fistful of dollars”. It’s not going to be a good ending for that luxury razor wannabe......

5. Rex Ambassador: It took a bit but, it finally made it to the Big Dance. Excellently crafted, well balanced and imo, there is no other handle that has the grip and tactile feel that the Ambassador possesses. I don’t care if you shave with melted Lard and you slap it on by the pounds, this razor will not fall or slip from one’s hands. Perhaps not as smooth as the others before it but, it will deliver a BBS finish regardless of facial hair type from daily to 2 weeks worth of Jeremiah Johnson beard growth. It’s the only 2 piece razor in this group and is quite easy to maintain & use. Some say that it has an inherent amount of drag while others say it is nearly nonexistent when shaving. I personally haven’t experienced this “drag” that quite a few have experienced. Adjustable as well from mild to wild giving you some sweet customization in your shave routine. Some say that it’s Americas finest adjustable and honestly, I wouldn’t put up much of an argument. Classy & dependable....

I don’t have a Wolfman to compare to any of my razors nor do I own arguably one of the best adjustables out there in the Rocnel Sailor so, just bare that in mind. Like I said, I have some not all.

So, where does the Lupo fit in with those heavy hitters that I mentioned & own above? Actually, closer than one would think. For $72.99 the Lupo SS .95 SB delivers a very close feeling shave to the $195 Matte Timeless SS .95 SB, just lagging behind by the tiniest of margins in smoothness, efficiency & comfort. It’s splitting hairs between the 2 but, it is discernible once you have shaved with each one a few times. It can not hang with the Timeless Ti .95 as there is just a different face feel that is palpable between the Lupo & Timeless Ti. The Lupo will get me to the same end result as the Ti but, the comfort is lacking as is the efficiency. Surprisingly, there is a razor that is Titanium that I think the Lupo SS outguns in the performance department and that’s the Carbon Shaving Cx-Ti series. Yes, I own it with both the +,++ base plates and the Lupo .95 is the better shaver for me. Another razor that the Lupo .95 fairs well against is with the HomelikeShaving START razor in both the .90 & 1.18 base plates. They are very, very close in performance and feel across the board. Honestly, it’s tough for the Lupo .95 to take on the adjustable razors, it’s just unfair as those razors can be literally fine tuned to ones liking. The Lupo & the Dart from Blackland are also quite similar in shave performance but, I like the Dart slightly better as it possesses a dual personality depending on how you use it in riding the cap or the safety bar.

In conclusion, is the Lupo a potential top tier razor performer in the luxury ranks? No, it’s an economical choice for those that don’t want to spend uber $$$ on the Big Boys yet, still be 85% to 90% close enough to them that it remains and establishes itself as a viable alternative in overall shave performance for the everyday shaver. You can’t quantify feel & looks into the equation because everyone has a different perceived notion on what luxury is or should be. It’s all in the eyes and minds of the potential buyer/consumer to ultimately decide “what is my luxury razor” or the tool that gets me the best bang for my buck without breaking the bank and allowing me to indulge in the other finer things of life.

And that’s exactly what the Lupo Series of razors is. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar it’s one of the best deals in the razor world with performance, alloy, craftsmanship and ease of acquisition to date.

And that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

Happy shaves everyone and enjoy the hell out of your RR Lupo. I know I will.... :shaving:

I am a Timeless .95 OC fan and I don't think I need to try the Lupo now. I was wondering if you've tried the Slim plate from Timeless and how it compares to the .95? Thanks for the great review!

I am a Timeless .95 OC fan and I don't think I need to try the Lupo now. I was wondering if you've tried the Slim plate from Timeless and how it compares to the .95? Thanks for the great review!

Keep the 95...I had the Ti Slim and didn't care for it. It wasn't very efficient.....smooth like all Timeless razors, but for me the 95 performs better. I am in the minority with this opinion so take it for what it is. I preferred the 95 Lupo over any of my Timeless gear. Ended up selling it along with the Slim as I have too many razors and needed to purge a few. Still have my Timeless SB 95 and OC 68, but they don't get used very often.

Keep the 95...I had the Ti Slim and didn't care for it. It wasn't very efficient.....smooth like all Timeless razors, but for me the 95 performs better. I am in the minority with this opinion so take it for what it is. I preferred the 95 Lupo over any of my Timeless gear. Ended up selling it along with the Slim as I have too many razors and needed to purge a few. Still have my Timeless SB 95 and OC 68, but they don't get used very often.

I appreciate the comments! As we know, YMMV is an undeniable truth and that is what makes this "hobby" worthwhile.

Top Bottom