What's new

Worth spending more than a tenner?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Congrats on the new pens and I'm glad they passed muster. Its your hobby; you can do it any way you like. I think its safe to say that you can find great pens at every price point. But at the same time, it is generally true that you get what you pay for with fountain pens. Higher cost is usually accurately reflected in the build quality, writing experience, and/or artistry of the pen.

I think you nailed it with this post, John. Although I'm not sure I agree with the last line as quoted.

I'm sure enough that the higher sales cost is reflective of a higher production cost - for whatever reason - but I'm not convinced the build quality of an expensive acrylic pen, will ever match the build quality of a cheap stainless one. Also, writing experience, as your quote so eloquently states is so highly subjective. Any pen that I can feel threads with under my grip, or has a large step from section to barrel, is going to give me a DREADFUL writing experience - and there are MANY expensive pen photos I've seen (usually from artisans whose names I'm unfamiliar with) that have those attributes. Several hundred pounds/dollars for a pen I would literally find unusable. As for artistry... my choice of pens probably shows I'm happy to leave that aspect for others to enjoy. 🤣

I don't think my pens just tick the "that'll do" box, I think they're actually the right pens for me. Looks, ergonomics, durability, fill methods, and yes, price tag. I think the Ohto Tasche is a BRILLIANT pocket pen, and I haven't personally seen a higher priced pen to rival its form. However, the nibs on my pens may well be the achilles heel. There's a very good chance the lifespans on all my pens of choice may be dire. That said, I'm happy to replace a cheap nib every few years if I need to. I've already proved to myself several times that I can get them writing just how I want them to within a few minutes. Rather like I'd rather have a simple 420HC pocket knife I can easily restore sharpness on, than some exotic alloy that's going to need diamond hones and a lot more effort.

I think the higher priced pens, generally (though I wouldn't be cocky enough to say always) drift further and further away from what I actually want from my pens. Those simple clean ergonomics. The cartridge/converter model. The ability to shrug off an attack of the dropsies. The higher the price, often the further away it is from what I'd look for, even if it was within my price range. Your quote mentioned watches, so I'll use that too. The higher priced watches often have harder to read faces than the cheaper ones, therefore cheaper watches are actually better for me. even if they do only last 3 or 4 years. Although, if we're honest, telling the time isn't necessarily the primary goal of an expensive watch. It's primary goal is, to a large extent, to show other people that you're wearing an expensive watch :D

In theory, gold nibs and steel nibs that have the same tipping, should have the same smoothness. In practice, gold nibs tend to be smoother probably because they receive a higher level of QC at the factory. Some gold nibs - I'm thinking particularly of Platinum, Sailor, and Aurora - aren't smooth at all, but are famed for their subtle and pleasant feedback. I tend to think that this is less a feature of the gold and more a result of the overall nib design. Most steel nibs are quite stiff, but Pelikan steel nibs are pleasantly soft and springy. Again, nib design over material. Most flexible nibs are gold like the Pilot FA, but a steel Zebra G will flex the pants off any gold nib with the possible exception of certain vintage Waterman nibs. I don't know what all this means, except that there are no absolutes and one nib material isn't "better" than another. You just have to evaluate nibs as a whole package.

There are outliers and, as you note, the more expensive pens may get more TLC. Another part of the reason gold nibs feel smoother in general is that gold will flex more than steel. Even gold nibs that are not considered flexible will give a bit while most steel nibs won’t. I have a couple of those old Waterman wet noodle nibs, they are great.

I don’t know that I would agree that Aurora nibs categorically aren’t smooth. Two of the three medium nibs in my Italian Flag set are like butter and the broad nib in my Carlo Goldoni is even smoother. It may be that the fine & extra fine nibs, which are probably more prevalent, offer more feedback, that would generally be expected.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As I mentioned on another thread, my go-to pen is a Kaweco that cost me less than thirty bucks. I edit books pen-on-paper, and this pen is a workhorse.

But I had a grail pen: in Italy, I tried out Montegrappa pens in a fancy stationary store, and I fell in love with Montegrappa pens, the sterling silver ones. But way too expensive for me. I hung out on various websites until I finally found the one I wanted, from a small auction site in Europe.

This listing is the exact model of pen: (I don't post this listing as any kind of advertising or approval, but just to show the pen.)

The seller swapped out the medium nib assembly for my desired fine, and she FedExed it to me as soon as she got my payment. A little nervous-making, but everything worked out fine.

I spend much less that what the pen illustrated above cost, several hundred dollars less. I' retired, and it was still a lot of simoleons. Totally worth it. Handsome greek key engraving, good, heavyweight silver, writes perfectly. I appreciate it every time I sit at my desk and unscrew the cap. So the happiness it has given me has been worth the cost.

Congratulations on the successful grail quest. Luckily I haven't been tempted by any such trophies. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some real stunners... but then I've looked beyond the first impression, to find that they often stray from what I would actually want as a functional item, as mentioned above.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wow! I have more spares of the Baoer 388 and Wing Sung 3008 demonstrator than I thought.

IMG_20210905_181523.jpg

Five spare 388s, and three spare 3008s. One of the demonstrators (with faint staining) has a stub nib fitted, but I didn't find it particularly useful. I might end up gifting some of these away.

As for the new pens, they're still not in full use yet. The Ohto Tasche is nearly empty, but there's still about half a cartridge left in the Baoer. Once they're both empty, I can clean them up and stash them away, and replace them in use with the new acquisitions. I'm very much looking forward to getting the new ones in regular daily use.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Following all your comments about gold nibs, I thought I'd have a rummage online, and see if I could find something with a gold nib, but which still ticks all the right boxes as regards my preferences. Futile, right?

Braced for a wasted hour, I waded through pics of plastic bodied pens that I would resent buying, threaded and/or sections that looked uncomfortable, bulky caps which will feel awful if posted the wrong distance from the section, and of course lever fillers and other bladdered and sac pens that I really don't want the maintenance of. Basically, everything I want to avoid in a pen.

I was wondering for a while if maybe I could research a few of the cheaper ones, and see if I could filch a nib off something to fit on one of my other pens, then discard/sell the rest of the pen. That way I only need to pay attention to the nib, and can ignore all the other stuff I don't like about the pen.

Then I saw it...

30ish year old, brass bodied, silver plated with laque maroon section/tail/button and gold plated trim/clip, minimal section to barrel step, cartridge/converter filled, Parker 88 with 14ct semi-flex nib. Price was only £3 more than what the 45 Flighter cost, probably because it's too modern for some people, which of course works in my favour. No plastic, no sac, no obvious grip disrupters. No additional cartridges to find either, as it uses ones I already have. Needless to say, I grabbed it. I wasn't going to wait till payday and risk if straying elsewhere, as I might not find anything else that fits the bill so well for a very long time.

I think I'm straying into too many pens now. Six users (assuming this one is a keeper) is double my needs, and also double the amount I keep inked. This will leave pens I've spent money on, sat in a drawer, not earning their keep. Some folks enjoy that. Me, not so much. However, it will tell me once and for all, whether or not this type of nib is help or hindrance for me. I can worry about offloading anything that rarely gets used at a later date.

Even if it's not an "everyday" pen, it still might be OK for occasional use though. Time will tell.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sadly, I bought the pen so quick, I failed to scavenge the sellers pics and write up, and it all disappeared as soon as the item was paid for. Thankfully, they have a blog, and I found some pics there. I hope they don't mind me using these pics till I can take a couple of my own.

imgp7102.jpg

imgp7104.jpg
imgp7103.jpg

imgp7100.jpg

It's kind of Vector-ish, but hopefully the transition step won't annoy me like the Vector does. If the section is long enough, I might be able to avoid it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I got word today that the gold nibbed pen will be posted on Thursday, so I should see it early next week.

In the meantime, I'm still finishing off the cartridges in the Baoer and Ohto. It looks like I'll be able to start using all three of the "new" pens at the same time, which will be a good way to jump in at the deep end with all three - ditching my three originals in the drawer, and using the new acquisitions exclusively.

I plan to stick with all three till they use up a full cart/converter, or present some reason to abort using them, and reach for something else instead. Either way, I'll update as and when there's anything worth saying.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I don't think the Parker 88 or Rialto ever had a gold nib. If it is you'll see 14K or 18K clearly stamped on it.

I think you'll find it to be a 22K plated stainless nib @AimlessWanderer

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't think the Parker 88 or Rialto ever had a gold nib. If it is you'll see 14K or 18K clearly stamped on it.

I think you'll find it to be a 22K plated stainless nib @AimlessWanderer

I do somewhat resent the fact I no longer have access to the item listing, and I'm hoping I didn't get two pens crosshobbled, and order the wrong one...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I do somewhat resent the fact I no longer have access to the item listing, and I'm hoping I didn't get two pens crosshobbled, and order the wrong one...

Bah! I think I did!!! :mad2:

Just checked their remaining items, and the writing sample I recognised as being what I thought I was buying, was actually on a Slimfold! I've screwed up 😭 Serves me right for shopping under the influence of migraine meds.

That Slimfold is not a pen I want though. Plastic pen, bulky cap, potentially intrusive threads... not for me. So maybe I can't get a gold nib on a pen I'm prepared to buy, after all. :001_rolle

Oh well. Looks like this 88 might not be being kept. :001_unsur

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That Slimfold is not a pen I want though. Plastic pen, bulky cap, potentially intrusive threads... not for me. So maybe I can't get a gold nib on a pen I'm prepared to buy, after all. :001_rolle

Just an FYI, the Slimfold is (for me) an absolutely wonderful pen and they usually have phenomenal nibs. I hold my pens lightly so threads don't bother me -- unlike a metal section or an abrupt step down near the grip. Plus it's nice and light! I find them similar in size and shape to my coveted Vacumatics but still selling at bargain prices.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just an FYI, the Slimfold is (for me) an absolutely wonderful pen and they usually have phenomenal nibs. I hold my pens lightly so threads don't bother me -- unlike a metal section or an abrupt step down near the grip. Plus it's nice and light! I find them similar in size and shape to my coveted Vacumatics but still selling at bargain prices.

Aw, now I'm torn... do I approach the seller, or just suffer for my idiocy?

The nib was what I was after, but too much else is wrong. Approaching 40 quid for a plastic pen is not a bargain in my book, Doug. Never has been, never will be. It also comes with the wrong filling system, a cap that looks awkward when posted, and a grip that looks uncomfortable. But the nib might be worth the cost IF I like it, and IF I can fit it on something else...

Then again, I've ordered a metal "Vector" which is a pen I didn't particularly like comfort wise, but at least it fills the right way, and can be posted comfortably. Except I'll be buying it needlessly because it doesn't have the nib I wanted to try. Aaarghhh!

THIS is why I stick to pens below a tenner. The disappointments are a lot easier to swallow.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Good luck.

Cheers.

It may have already been packed for shipping, so I've offered to pay any additional costs. Not just price difference, but any spoiled packaging etc too. They shouldn't be left out of pocket for my error.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
40 quid seems high, my black one was way cheaper, like a tenner.

They're out there for £14.00, I just peeked at eBay UK, here's a red

I searched for "parker slimfold fountain pen"

I don't mind plastic, some folks don't like it. Some of my favorite pens are plastic. :wink2:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
40 quid seems high, my black one was way cheaper, like a tenner.

They're out there for £14.00, I just peeked at eBay UK, here's a red

I searched for "parker slimfold fountain pen"

I don't mind plastic, some folks don't like it. Some of my favorite pens are plastic. :wink2:

I told you I was clueless ... or if I didn't, I probably should have :lol:

Well, remember I'd already made the payment for the "wrong" pen, so if they are willing to swap, at least I've got the right nib. Plus the pen is not coming from someone who sells refurbished with replaced sacs and stuff, so it should be ready to fill and write, without any surprises.

Either way, I'm not looking at making a habit of this 🤣 I do really like MY fountain pens, but the wider fountain pen world and I, do seem somewhat misaligned :biggrin1: I think I fell quite lucky with the first two, and might fumble my way to minimise my disappointment with the third, but I should probably quit while I'm ahead :001_tongu

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks to a cooperative seller, the order is now "corrected" to the Slimfold. :thumbup1:

I don't mind plastic, it's a very versatile material. It's paying more than a fiver for a plastic pen, that I resent.

Although in this case, the buyer was 100% at fault :biggrin1:

My handwriting is so appalling these days I would be ashamed to buy a decent pen now, but I do have a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck platinum which I got at a duty free shop many moons ago. I only ever use it for signing papers for my HR Manager(!)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My handwriting is so appalling these days I would be ashamed to buy a decent pen now, but I do have a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck platinum which I got at a duty free shop many moons ago. I only ever use it for signing papers for my HR Manager(!)

My handwriting is nothing special either, but is usually quite legible for most people. That's not really much of a factor in my pen choices though. My brain always goes faster than my fingers, no matter what pen i'm using :001_tongu

Top Bottom