What's new

What is the most convenient type of razor and why?

I think a TTO(Twist To Open) DE(Double Edge) razor is the most convenient type of razor. It allows super easy blade insertion, cleaning and is very easy to shave with. I think it is even more convenient than a cartridge razor because it is much less likely to clog. The only maintenance required is rinsing it and an occasional cleaning. A decent TTO DE razor can be purchased for under $30 and many excellent DE blades are under $10/100 blades.

Very strong points! Thanks for sharing your perspective!

I change blades about once every 130 shaves. Might take 15 seconds. Since I use 3 blades a year and have about 200, maybe 300 blades, I don't worry about maintenance.

My only concern is I only have 24 1/2 pucks of Williams. They only last about 200 shaves.

That's a lot of Williams.

I am surprised you get so many shaves out of a blade! I usually changed mine after about ten! What kind of blade do you use?

From all the different types and models of vintage and modern razors, I find injectors to be superior to pretty much anything I have ever tried. The shaves are just too damn easy and the results are nothing short of amazing. I still use my DE and GEM style razors quite regularly and the shaves are also amazing, but somehow injectors are slightly better in both efficiency and comfort and I feel like I can do as many strokes and passes as I wish without being worried of irritating my skin or cut myself.

Well, we hadn't mentioned qualifiers. A straight is the most convenient. Unless you don't like maintenence. Or travel by air. A DE is the most convenient. Unless you're camping in the Yellowstone. Or again, travel by air. Convenience being ease of use for a particular situation, not closest or best. YMMV. :001_smile

Good point. I don't travel much, and don't much enjoy going to the store, so the learning curve and long term durability are what I consider convenient.

From all the different types and models of vintage and modern razors, I find injectors to be superior to pretty much anything I have ever tried. The shaves are just too damn easy and the results are nothing short of amazing. I still use my DE and GEM style razors quite regularly and the shaves are also amazing, but somehow injectors are slightly better in both efficiency and comfort and I feel like I can do as many strokes and passes as I wish without being worried of irritating my skin or cut myself.

I have never tried an injector. Do you have any recommendations on one?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Double edge. Specifically the Edwin Jagger DE3D14.

No honing. No stropping. Handle placed where I have most control, and least obstruction. I can do a full shave with the Jagger, in less time than I have to spend doing the peripheral farting about with a straight razor, plus I enjoy the shave more, AND get better results too.

Other double edged razors need more thought to avoid irritation, or more attention to achieve the same closeness. A blade stays sat in the Jagger for 10 shaves minimum most of the time, and my current one has been in there for two months. Maintenance? Swish, ditch, done! Although, I have cleaned and cleaned and flipped the blade three times in those eight weeks. When I change the blade, I might clean soap scum of the razor itself.

I find nothing inconvenient about it whatsoever. Some razors are quite the reverse, being all hassle, and no benefit, except for being a barely tolerable occasional novelty.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I'm thinking maybe to stop shaving all together because its inconvenient. I am also reevaluating showers, deodorant, hair cuts and teeth brushing.

Cut down on wiping and you’ll have all the social distancing you’d ever want.

There was a time when people used to believe the Earth was flat...

Not everything from those days is bad. I bet a Trafalgar T3, Cella Extra Extra Bio, and a stainless Vector OC loaded with a Feather Pro Super would still work a treat for you even in this modern age of scalloped Timeless 68s and MdC Rose

I have never tried an injector. Do you have any recommendations on one?

I have a type E, G and M, but im using the latter a lot more often, since it's adjustable and also the handle feels more comfortable. All three are considered to be amongst the most efficient Schick models, but they don't feel harsh on the skin at all. Injectors in general are very inexpensive and are also easy to find.

Surely either electric or cartridge razors must be the convenient options. Not electric for me, though - for my hair getting even a half-acceptable electric shave takes a lot longer than a full wet shave.

DE / SE razors aren’t far behind for convenience. I simply don’t buy the argument that buying blades is inconvenient - just buy a thousand and they will take up far less space than honing stones, lapping stones, strops, etc.

Straight razor shaving must be the least convenient of all - unless the alternative is to use tweezers to pull out hairs one at a time. But then isn’t this part of the appeal? One can take pleasure in the rituals and practices of SR shaving and it doesn’t need to be quick or convenient. But honing a razor, maintaining the edge, lapping stones, making balsa strops, applying polishing pastes, learning and perfecting over years all the skills required, learning to shave well, storing all this stuff, keeping everything clean and dry…convenience isn’t the word. Inconvenience is the word, and that’s fine.

If the OP is making the point that a single shave with a shave-ready straight razor can be simple and fuss-free, once a person has learned how to do it, then ok. But that isn’t the whole story by far.

I must say, from my perspective the question is somewhat puzzling. In that I did not begin wet shaving for the sake of convenience. I knew full well it would be a steep learning curve. Given that I tend to overthink things I had no idea just how steep it would be. That said, the journey has been a helluva lot of fun!

I think a TTO(Twist To Open) DE(Double Edge) razor is the most convenient type of razor. It allows super easy blade insertion, cleaning and is very easy to shave with. I think it is even more convenient than a cartridge razor because it is much less likely to clog. The only maintenance required is rinsing it and an occasional cleaning. A decent TTO DE razor can be purchased for under $30 and many excellent DE blades are under $10/100 blades.
Deffo this ! I would advocate further that ATTOs are the epitome of DE shaving, al things considered. For any other purposes, personally, Rolls.

Last edited:
Lessening of the sense of touch, reduction in hand/arm strength, decrease in steadiness and physical control and daily doses of blood thinners due to advancing age has made straight razor shaving the least convenient method for me.
DE, SE and even the occasional cart has made these methods the most convenient by far for me.
My thoughts exactly, as expressed earlier: Is a shavette/cut-throat razor really THAT much better than a safety razor? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/is-a-shavette-cut-throat-razor-really-that-much-better-than-a-safety-razor.612933/post-11424308

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Glad you found what you like, although that is only your personal conclusion.

Still have to congratulate :)

I've used my Gillette Slim for 60 years and still do. In the past years blades were handy at the local store but now I buy my blades on line by the one or two hundred. The Slim is easy to use, open drop in the blade close and shave. Clean up is easy, open, rinse blade and razor, dry and ready for next shave.
Lately I've been liking the three piece like my Weber PH, great shave and easy to clean.

Top Bottom