What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in! Vector SS, Kai Mild Pink (5), Tallow Tabac.

proxy.php

First shave with Geo F Trumper Violets and Slantember shave:

RazoRock Wunderbar
Voshkhod
Geo F Trumper Violets soap
RazoRock 400 Special Edition
Alum and Witch Hazel

IMG_20210907_210123.jpg

I finally got around to grating the Violets soap into a container and whatever it was be it omens or just bad grip - the ceramic container shattered and with it my mood to shave as well.

I managed to re mash the soap taken from the broken container into another bowl and while it was being transferred I got a few cuts and a splinter (it's still in).

Today I went after it again and given that I've sacrificed my blood, sweat and tears in the pursuit of Geo F Trumper Violets soap, I wanted it to work otherwise after such drama it would have been tossed straight into the bin.

Lo and behold - it worked beautifully.

Low structure lather is what I received from the soap and it didn't instilled too much confidence in the beginning, but when I started shaving it was a very smooth lather.

It had slickness in buckets, and although lather seemed to be dissipating quickly but I didn't show any shame in going back to the soap and this time I got a pasty, thin lather that allowed me to get a 3 pass almost BBS shave.

Bonus:

I was afraid to do an alum block test but it was surprisingly less intense than what I expected.

The low structure of the lather is an entirely different approach to a very slick lather, I was apprehensive about it but got good results from the soap.

So, after all this drama I got a good, clean and close shave from a finicky soap.
I'll be using it in the upcoming shaves and see how it goes.

First shave with Geo F Trumper Violets and Slantember shave:

RazoRock Wunderbar
Voshkhod
Geo F Trumper Violets soap
RazoRock 400 Special Edition
Alum and Witch Hazel

View attachment 1324329

I finally got around to grating the Violets soap into a container and whatever it was be it omens or just bad grip - the ceramic container shattered and with it my mood to shave as well.

I managed to re mash the soap taken from the broken container into another bowl and while it was being transferred I got a few cuts and a splinter (it's still in).

Today I went after it again and given that I've sacrificed my blood, sweat and tears in the pursuit of Geo F Trumper Violets soap, I wanted it to work otherwise after such drama it would have been tossed straight into the bin.

Lo and behold - it worked beautifully.

Low structure lather is what I received from the soap and it didn't instilled too much confidence in the beginning, but when I started shaving it was a very smooth lather.

It had slickness in buckets, and although lather seemed to be dissipating quickly but I didn't show any shame in going back to the soap and this time I got a pasty, thin lather that allowed me to get a 3 pass almost BBS shave.

Bonus:

I was afraid to do an alum block test but it was surprisingly less intense than what I expected.

The low structure of the lather is an entirely different approach to a very slick lather, I was apprehensive about it but got good results from the soap.

So, after all this drama I got a good, clean and close shave from a finicky soap.
I'll be using it in the upcoming shaves and see how it goes.
Can you please post a pic of a low structure lather?
Is this soapy runny or not much air in it and dense?

Can you please post a pic of a low structure lather?
Is this soapy runny or not much air in it and dense?
I'll take a picture of the loaded brush next time.

What got was initially bubbly but slick lather and later on a thin, pasty layer on face was achieved.

It doesn't look much like the usual lather loaded photos and the best I got was on face, there was hardly anything to see on brush.

I'll try to capture a few shots of lather in the next shave.

Well. That didn't last long. :001_rolle But, I have an extenuating circumstance. Well, at least I think I do.

I'm not a "collector" in the truest sense of that word, I have one of any particular razor I own, and they are all razors I enjoy using once in a while. I don't covet sets, chronological series of a particular product, or any of that sort of thing. But, I do have a 'birthday razor' which was actually made in my birth quarter, including the box and the instruction sheet that came with it. That particular razor, I suppose you could say is the sole item I have that I own solely because it is a collector item to me, as generally, I do not seek out aggressive razors.

Anyway, what I did not have was the 6-blade dispenser that came in that box. There are plenty that are close enough for horshoes and handgrenades, but the blue, 6-blade dispenser is what was in this package, and they are very difficult to find. I even posted a WTB in the BST here and nobody has one. So, you guessed it, it pops up to my attention yesterday, and I jumped on it even before I remembered I'm in GRUME for the month. Or was, I guess. But even if I remembered I was at the time I pulled the trigger on this, I still would have done it. My birthday razor package is now complete.

I will continue the rest of the month not making any purchases, in solidarity with you, my brothers, but I have sinned. I'm out. Here are photos of what I had, and the item with the blade dispenser that will make it complete. Carry on without me, my friends.

View attachment 1323190
View attachment 1323191

And what did me in for September's GRUME,

View attachment 1323193
I’m out. Bought some more tallow Tabac.

It's understandable that hard-to-find items will cause a casualty or two. I'm hopeful that "the itch" has been scratched and you'll both finish out the month with us. Of course, I hope to see you next month as full-fledged participants; we wipe the slate clean!

And when a pair of brothers falls prey to the siren song of FOMO, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) rbscebu - out (9/2: Bay Rum AS)
4) @Roedeer
5) @sarir97
6) @henrickd - GRUYERE
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @JKar
9) @Contact_vs_Feedback
10) @Doti B
11) @Multum in parvo
12) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
13) @Adam18
14) @Kyle89
15) @linty1
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @hopper_64
18) @Albion
19) @12stones
20) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
21) @La Malice
22) @Herrenberg
23) @SharpieB
24) @Dodger59
25) @Timeclo
26) @Tomo
27) @Owen Bawn
28) JCinPA - out (9/5: Blue Blade Bank)
29) @pdieten - GRUYERE
30) CJB3 - out (9/7: Tallowbac)
31) @FL shaver
32) @srqshaver

I'm in because I'm new and spinning my wheels buying new things without having spent enough time getting to know what I already have. I have enough quality gear to go for a while without buying more. I do have a wishlist going however. 😉

There must be balance in the universe, so you two are evening things up for JCinPA and CJB3. Welcome!

Still in, despite the Maggard's sale announced in my email.

Today was a glorious shave. The giant razor felt so natural in my hand, even in the difficult places. That's what I wanted Big Razor Month to do.
1631063903088.jpeg

Alas, the alum still makes complaints in a couple of places, so I have not reached perfection. It's subtle stuff, though, not an irritation I am still aware of an hour after the shave.

Still have some distance to go before I can claim to be able to produce consistently feather-light pressure with a massive razor. I like the progress, though.

Also, I love the texturing on my briar brush.

I’m out…. Travel strop.

I didn’t make it very far this month. My recent trip highlighted that it is finally time for me to hang up the DE once and for all. I’m not as practiced with it as I am with the SR and the results speak to that. Rather than persisting with one foot in each camp I organized arranged for a kangaroo travel strop to be delivered from a local B&B member. Trade was not an option so it had to be a cash sale. This travel strop will form the basis of a SR travel setup. My remaining DE items have been listed in BST for sale or trade to a more dedicated GRUME member.

Top Bottom