What's new

Any Fast Straight Razor Shavers?

What's your secret to getting a fast shave with a straight?
I can't seem to get it done in under 15 mins. I do two passes plus multiple touch ups. My problem is that the razor isn't removing hair as efficiently as I would like.
I keep having to buff over an area multiple times. If it wasn't for all the buffing, it would probably be a 5 minute shave.

The razor is definitely sharp... up until lately I was using diamond-pasted balsa to finish my razors (up to 0.1 micron). I found that a coticule edge is more gentle to my skin, and I don't find myself reaching for the styptic pencil as much; so I now have a coticule edge. The razor is still plenty sharp.

I even let the lather sit on my face for a few minutes before I begin shaving. This has definitely improved my shaves, but something is still missing.
Perhaps my lather isn't wet enough?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Speed just comes with use so never rush it. It takes me less than five minutes for a two pass shave but I’ve been straight shaving daily for over three years and I’ve never intentionally hurried a shave and never will. Sometimes I wish my shaves lasted longer but after two passes, there’s nothing left to shave. Anyway, don’t worry about it and just keep shaving.

Speed just comes with use so never rush it. It takes me less than five minutes for a two pass shave but I’ve been straight shaving daily for over three years and I’ve never intentionally hurried a shave and never will. Sometimes I wish my shaves lasted longer but after two passes, there’s nothing left to shave. Anyway, don’t worry about it and just keep shaving.

You're very fast! How do you do it?
Is your lather quite wet?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You're very fast! How do you do it?
Is your lather quite wet?
I really don’t know; it just happened. Perhaps small blades (4/8 & 9/16) has something to do with it as I find them more maneuverable and light like sports cars I suppose. I shave by feel and sound rather than watching blade angle. I do use a wetter lather but not so wet that it drips onto my embroidered silk shaving jacket though. I lather my face then add a bit of water to my brush to get it to my liking. This gets the lather slicker and thinner. I also use arcing motions. But I honestly don’t know how the quickness came about. One more thing though, I use a damp sponge to wipe the lather off the blade so I don’t have to wait for water to get the lather off. I find the sponge to be a great time saver.

What's your secret to getting a fast shave with a straight?
I can't seem to get it done in under 15 mins. I do two passes plus multiple touch ups. My problem is that the razor isn't removing hair as efficiently as I would like.
I keep having to buff over an area multiple times. If it wasn't for all the buffing, it would probably be a 5 minute shave.

The razor is definitely sharp... up until lately I was using diamond-pasted balsa to finish my razors (up to 0.1 micron). I found that a coticule edge is more gentle to my skin, and I don't find myself reaching for the styptic pencil as much; so I now have a coticule edge. The razor is still plenty sharp.

I even let the lather sit on my face for a few minutes before I begin shaving. This has definitely improved my shaves, but something is still missing.
Perhaps my lather isn't wet enough?

A thin very wet lather is preferred for straight razor shaving.
Stretch the skin VERY well, then time will bring it together.

A thin very wet lather is preferred for straight razor shaving.
Stretch the skin VERY well, then time will bring it together.

Makes sense, thanks. I have a feeling my lather is probably too thick.
Is there any picture or a video anywhere that would show me what a thin, wet lather looks like?

Makes sense, thanks. I have a feeling my lather is probably too thick.
Is there any picture or a video anywhere that would show me what a thin, wet lather looks like?

Wet to the point of near dripping is perfect and extra slippery.

Wet to the point of near dripping is perfect and extra slippery.

His lather definitely looks thinner than mine. He's got a really good stretching technique, as well.
I also noticed he uses quite a steep angle at times. I guess I need to play around with the angles and see what works.

Thanks for the help.

• Haha
Reactions: Anu
I spend about ten minutes.Three pass shave.
WTG,XTG,ATG.At first I also had issues getting a close shave in three passes everywhere.The upper lip was the hardest area to get bbs.But over time your technique will improve..Proper skin stretching with a good edge-patience did it for me.I like to use progressively wetter lather as the shave progresses…YMMV

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@theklaw I hope that you don't "show affection" to your partner the same way as you want to shave.

For me, SR shaving is an enjoyable experience that I don't want to rush. If time is of the essence, I would get up a few minutes earlier or go to bed a few minutes later rather than rush my SR shave. The world can wait, I'm enjoying my experience!

iterations and iterations. we have a thread with vids, and timed runs I think in the main section. I can do a sub-5 minute three pass shave. 10 for pre/post stropping, face lathering, clean up... all of it.

so what? I've been at it for a good while. I don't rush anything. I just stay present and attentive to what I'm doing. Listen, look, feel... all of them are clues to your, your lather's, and/or your edge's performance, and will let you adjust as needed.

you'll get there in time, or you won't. enjoy the process.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@theklaw I hope that you don't "show affection" to your partner the same way as you want to shave.

For me, SR shaving is an enjoyable experience that I don't want to rush. If time is of the essence, I would get up a few minutes earlier or go to bed a few minutes later rather than rush my SR shave. The world can wait, I'm enjoying my experience!
Regarding affection for your partner, I can’t shave more than once. 😂

Top Bottom