What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Really looking forward to finishing the La Toja stick grated into this bowl. Still in.

proxy.php

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well. That didn't last long. :001_rolle But, I have an extenuating circumstance. Well, at least I think I do.

I'm not a "collector" in the truest sense of that word, I have one of any particular razor I own, and they are all razors I enjoy using once in a while. I don't covet sets, chronological series of a particular product, or any of that sort of thing. But, I do have a 'birthday razor' which was actually made in my birth quarter, including the box and the instruction sheet that came with it. That particular razor, I suppose you could say is the sole item I have that I own solely because it is a collector item to me, as generally, I do not seek out aggressive razors.

Anyway, what I did not have was the 6-blade dispenser that came in that box. There are plenty that are close enough for horshoes and handgrenades, but the blue, 6-blade dispenser is what was in this package, and they are very difficult to find. I even posted a WTB in the BST here and nobody has one. So, you guessed it, it pops up to my attention yesterday, and I jumped on it even before I remembered I'm in GRUME for the month. Or was, I guess. But even if I remembered I was at the time I pulled the trigger on this, I still would have done it. My birthday razor package is now complete.

I will continue the rest of the month not making any purchases, in solidarity with you, my brothers, but I have sinned. I'm out. Here are photos of what I had, and the item with the blade dispenser that will make it complete. Carry on without me, my friends.

red tip 1.jpg

red tip 2.jpg

And what did my in for September's GRUME,

Vintage Gillette with 6 blade dispenser.jpg

Well. That didn't last long. :001_rolle But, I have an extenuating circumstance. Well, at least I think I do.

I'm not a "collector" in the truest sense of that word, I have one of any particular razor I own, and they are all razors I enjoy using once in a while. I don't covet sets, chronological series of a particular product, or any of that sort of thing. But, I do have a 'birthday razor' which was actually made in my birth quarter, including the box and the instruction sheet that came with it. That particular razor, I suppose you could say is the sole item I have that I own solely because it is a collector item to me, as generally, I do not seek out aggressive razors.

Anyway, what I did not have was the 6-blade dispenser that came in that box. There are plenty that are close enough for horshoes and handgrenades, but the blue, 6-blade dispenser is what was in this package, and they are very difficult to find. I even posted a WTB in the BST here and nobody has one. So, you guessed it, it pops up to my attention yesterday, and I jumped on it even before I remembered I'm in GRUME for the month. Or was, I guess. But even if I remembered I was at the time I pulled the trigger on this, I still would have done it. My birthday razor package is now complete.

I will continue the rest of the month not making any purchases, in solidarity with you, my brothers, but I have sinned. I'm out. Here are photos of what I had, and the item with the blade dispenser that will make it complete. Carry on without me, my friends.

View attachment 1323190
View attachment 1323191

And what did my in for September's GRUME,

View attachment 1323193
Beautiful Red Tip!

1) FoolishMortal
2) stuartganis
3) rbscebu
4) Roedeer
5) sarir97
6) henrickd - GRUYERE
7) Sinnbad11
8) JKar
9) Contact_vs_Feedback
10) Doti B
11) Multum in parvo
12) Heavy_Metal_Hound
13) Adam18
14) Kyle89
15) linty1
16) ‘Bout Time
17) hopper_64
18) Albion
19) 12Stones
20) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
21) La Malice
22) Herrenberg
23) SharpieB
24) Dodger59
25) Timeclo
26) Tomo
27) Owen Bawn
28) JCinPA
29) pdieten - GRUYERE
30) CJB3
31) FL shaver

In!!!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Still in.

Its the long weekend here, finally got the chance for a shave

4D6ECD4C-8FB1-4B23-921E-796D5D75567E.jpeg

This brush is quite nice, in hand, there feels like there would be some scritch, and the bulb knot would accentuate that, but after a brief soak and using it, its actually scritch and scrub free and with a nice backbone, quite nice to use. It eats soap like no tomorrow when loading. I do like the longer handle, a barber type handle I've been looking for.

Shave 3 of the month, looks like my every over day shave will be an odd one.

3rd time on this blade and finally smooth experience, now let see how many I can put on it. Looks like I have around 3 full tuck of blades left which should at least get me through November, this is counting the half empty one in it so there will be some variety including the dreaded treet platinum that has never been enjoyable.

I am starting to enjoy the croap loading process way more than the squirting of creme from a tube ... do I hear soap calling my name in the distance ?

See you all next week

1) FoolishMortal
2) stuartganis
3) rbscebu
4) Roedeer
5) sarir97
6) henrickd - GRUYERE
7) Sinnbad11
8) JKar
9) Contact_vs_Feedback
10) Doti B
11) Multum in parvo
12) Heavy_Metal_Hound
13) Adam18
14) Kyle89
15) linty1
16) ‘Bout Time
17) hopper_64
18) Albion
19) 12Stones
20) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
21) La Malice
22) Herrenberg
23) SharpieB
24) Dodger59
25) Timeclo
26) Tomo
27) Owen Bawn
28) JCinPA
29) pdieten - GRUYERE
30) CJB3
31) FL shaver
32) srqshaver

I'm in because I'm new and spinning my wheels buying new things without having spent enough time getting to know what I already have. I have enough quality gear to go for a while without buying more. I do have a wishlist going however. 😉

I'm in because I'm new and spinning my wheels buying new things without having spent enough time getting to know what I already have. I have enough quality gear to go for a while without buying more. I do have a wishlist going however. 😉

Wishlists are all very well. I have a shave soap called MdC on mine, but there is no chance that this wish will disturb my September GRUME commitment. It's the "I must have this if it ever becomes available" lists that will get you. Or, at least, that's what got me, um, three times.

I don't think I have anything more on that list, at least I hope I don't.

Day 5, 16.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #5
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid, Brut AS.

No shortage of time, so I had a fully thorough shave. BBS face, smooth neck and no irritation. The other three Game Changer baseplates are not getting much play recently.

Finally hit the bottom in the Palmolive. Time to scrape the soap ring out, make a new puck, and throw the residue into the mix.

If you have a combination that more or less works, then the fastest way to zero in on your ideal kit is to change one variable at a time. Boring, I know...

You will get frank reviews on here. :thumbup:

Still in.

72 hour dwell
Shannon's Black Magic (sample) hand applied
KCG
Gillette 7 O'clock Green (2)
Lather and Wood Sandalwood

Very nice DFS+ 2-pass + touchup. I preferred hand applying the Shannon's over the previous Barbasol shave. Even though the lather was not picture perfect, it worked quite well. The razor and blade combination is worry-free and smooth.

Still on an extended business trip and it stinks to work through the holiday weekend here. I did get a chance to tour Longwood Gardens outside of Philadelphia yesterday. Highly recommended. Beautiful place.

Peace.

Still in.

I grated the Geo F Trumper Violets soap into a matching ceramic bowl to Arko.

Just whet n I finished mashing the grated Violets soap I lost the grip on the bowl and it shattered into pieces.

I managed to get 95% of the soap (in pieces) cooped cleanly from the bigger pieces of the bowl and threw the rest into trash.

My question is :

Should I be worried about the possible (but less likely) minute shards of the ceramic bowl affecting the brush or worse case scenario my face while lathering?

Ps: when I mashed down the soap again in the steel bowl (I've learned my lesson) I didn't felt anything like the small ceramic pieces or shards but I cannot be 100% sure that I got all the pieces.

Still in.

Just whet n I finished mashing the grated Violets soap I lost the grip on the bowl and it shattered into pieces.

I managed to get 95% of the soap (in pieces) cooped cleanly from the bigger pieces of the bowl and threw the rest into trash.

My question is :

Should I be worried about the possible (but less likely) minute shards of the ceramic bowl affecting the brush or worse case scenario my face while lathering?

Ps: when I mashed down the soap again in the steel bowl (I've learned my lesson) I didn't felt anything like the small ceramic pieces or shards but I cannot be 100% sure that I got all the pieces.
I wouldn’t worry if you bowl lather but I might be mildly worried if you are facelathering.
On the other hand if the pieces are so small that you can’t detect them by eye when you load the brush how much harm can they do?

I wouldn’t worry if you bowl lather but I might be mildly worried if you are facelathering.
On the other hand if the pieces are so small that you can’t detect them by eye when you load the brush how much harm can they do?
I face lather and that's why I am worried.

I have a vivid imagination and going by that - minor pieces stuck with soapy lather when face lathering may cause micro cuts when lathering and I wouldn't be able to see the damage before it's too late.

I hope this is a just a wild leap of my prepare for the worst case scenario mentality but I'd rather have a second opinion.

I face lather and that's why I am worried.

I have a vivid imagination and going by that - minor pieces stuck with soapy lather when face lathering may cause micro cuts when lathering and I wouldn't be able to see the damage before it's too late.

I hope this is a just a wild leap of my prepare for the worst case scenario mentality but I'd rather have a second opinion.
I don’t know the composition of your soap but can you liquidify it in a water bath and sieve it through?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Still in.

My question is :

For me personally I wouldn't chance it. I always seem to get nicked by a stray fleck whenever glass breaks.

It is a Geo F Trumper Violets soap triple milled soap grated in the bowl.

IMG_20210906_201239.jpg

I'll think about your suggestions for passing it through a sieve and if found too much of a hassle then I'll use this soap for bowl lathering.

@linty1
I already got 3 minor nicks at unreasonable places while cleaning up, smh. Two were on the upper side of fingers, right next to the nail.

Top Bottom