What's new

Think I've found my 'go-to' blade

Hi all,

Been working my way through the lockdown stockpile of blades (around 600 of mostly Russian origin) and finally got round to trying out the first of the Rapira line. Decided to start with the super stainless because these were the only ones I've had previous experience with, and I must say they are every bit as good as I remember! Having worked my way through around 15-20 of these now I can say with certainty that there is very good consistency from blade to blade and I certainly don't regret ordering a 100 pack.

Right out of the packet they are very sharp but forgiving, not quite Feather sharp but not too far off - I will get bitten if I don't pay close attention to angle and pressure. With most other DE blades I get significant resistance on the chin area, but the Rapira SS just slice through cleanly.

Another big plus is they seem to work well in most any razor; so far I've used them in a Muhle R41 (2011), Merkurs 34C/37C/1904 (OC), Progress and Futur, Gillette 1978 superspeed and 1960's Tech, and a Fatip Piccolo V1. I find they work particularly well in adjustable or open comb razors and can last up to 6 shaves, though I tend to bin them after around 3 or 4, depending on how it cuts the chin hairs.

I have 100 packs of the Swedish Supersteel and Platinum Lux as well so these will be tested once I've finished the current pack of SS.

Thanks,

R

Hi,

I used to try rapira quite a while ago and I remember them to be similar to Astra Platinum.

What is your opinion camparing both?

Hi,

I used to try rapira quite a while ago and I remember them to be similar to Astra Platinum.

What is your opinion camparing both?

Funny you should make that comparison, I have just gone through about 30 Astra SP's (100 packs of both SP and SS) and I'd say these are of a similar sharpness level to the Rapira, however the Rapira SS is a whole lot more forgiving. If I take my time with the Astras then there's no issues, but if I rush or don't prepare my skin well enough, or don't pay attention to blade angle etc. I am generally guaranteed a few weepers and/or irritation.

Don't get me wrong, Astra SP definitely has its place in the rotation. If I skip shaving for more than 3-4 days and want a good clean shave in as few passes as possible, there's usually no other choice for me than Astra loaded in a Muhle R41 or Fatip picollo. But for daily shaving the Rapira is superb.

Thanks,

R

Hi all,

Been working my way through the lockdown stockpile of blades (around 600 of mostly Russian origin) and finally got round to trying out the first of the Rapira line. Decided to start with the super stainless because these were the only ones I've had previous experience with, and I must say they are every bit as good as I remember! Having worked my way through around 15-20 of these now I can say with certainty that there is very good consistency from blade to blade and I certainly don't regret ordering a 100 pack.

Right out of the packet they are very sharp but forgiving, not quite Feather sharp but not too far off - I will get bitten if I don't pay close attention to angle and pressure. With most other DE blades I get significant resistance on the chin area, but the Rapira SS just slice through cleanly.

Another big plus is they seem to work well in most any razor; so far I've used them in a Muhle R41 (2011), Merkurs 34C/37C/1904 (OC), Progress and Futur, Gillette 1978 superspeed and 1960's Tech, and a Fatip Piccolo V1. I find they work particularly well in adjustable or open comb razors and can last up to 6 shaves, though I tend to bin them after around 3 or 4, depending on how it cuts the chin hairs.

I have 100 packs of the Swedish Supersteel and Platinum Lux as well so these will be tested once I've finished the current pack of SS.

Thanks,

R
Which Rapira SS? The one with the stripes (3 colour package 10 pcs) or the one that says Chrome on the pack (5pcs)?

Which Rapira SS? The one with the stripes (3 colour package 10 pcs) or the one that says Chrome on the pack (5pcs)?

Yes its the 10-pack version, although I heard mention that they are essentially the same blade - can anyone confirm?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes rapira are good! I’ve got to get to more time with these unfortunately this summer I bought so many “go to” blades by the 100s. 🤪

I've got a problem (a good thing): I have several go-to favorite blades that I can count on for Superior shaves. In addition I have myriad of non-favorites that work OK, but never seemed good enough.
My shave routine is to do a left side vs right side shave using 2 blades to compare. I've used a variety of vintage razors and a variety of soaps & it got pretty complicated to keep track of.
Lately I've been using only 2 of my best soaps & have been re-evaluating all my less-than-favorite blades, using a variety of razors.
So far, I've been getting BBS shaves no matter which blade / razor combination I used.
It looks like my choice of shaving soaps can make or break a shave.
Next week, I'll try an old puck of Williams to see if I can duplicate the same BBS results with the same blades.

When I was still using modern blades the Rapira Swedish Super Steel were among my favorites, although the other models weren't.

You guys may laugh. Years ago I got a few of the Rapira SS blades from somewhere and didn't use them for a bit. When I did use them they were extremely comfortable but very efficient blades. I picked up another 10 pack of them and really liked them.

My only knock ... for some odd reason they would start discoloring and/or rusting ( not on the edge ) after about 3-4 shaves. I never really went back to them after that because for the same price Astras were giving me roughly the same performance and lasting 5-7 shaves for me. It may have just been some quirk of nature with them, and to be fair this was years ago.

Very nice and comfy blades though and if you like them load up. I may grab a tuck the next time I order some blades to see how they are doing now and see if it was just something with my old hardware causing the problem. I've also hit a place in my shave career where if a blade gives me only 3 shaves but they are great I now realize that's better than 5 mediocre ones.

Yes Rapiras are decent blades. I use the Platinum Lux at times in my rotation. Nice performers , considered the sharpest in the Rapira line.

Remember, you can always change your mind. I ordered a new sample of over 100 blades recently just to see what else was out there. Part of me wants to just use Personna Med Preps or Nacets and keep things simple, the other part would like to explore almost everything available.

:devil:

I just received 500 Voskhod this week. Pretty sure the Rapira and Voskhod are closely related. I've gone back and forth many times with the common blades shavers rave about around here, but kept coming back to the Voskhod for that effortless BBS shave. Very forgiving as well. I'm not always on point so it's nice to not have to worry about using a little extra pressure than with something uber sharp like a Feather.

Top Bottom