What's new

Maxwell June Razor. Anyone try this razor yet?

I just snagged this close up photo of the head.

View attachment 1321555
Props up to our B&B pioneers for taking a plunge on this one, hard pass for me though. As I see it, it's a fiddly system, large footprint and the pic above doesn't look particularly encouraging - even though, admittedly it just might an odd composite angle - the blades does not seem to be equally spaced, if nothing else, slanted. By mere conjecture and observing the loading process I suspect poor blade support and an equal discomfort to those sensitive to blade chatter. But then again, props to you guys for daring a crack at this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to engineer a more intuitive blade loading system. This will never get a sizable following with such a complicated process. Lots of razors have this kind of functionality without the parts and pieces. Oneblade genesis comes to mind.

They need to engineer a more intuitive blade loading system. This will never get a sizable following with such a complicated process. Lots of razors have this kind of functionality without the parts and pieces. Oneblade genesis comes to mind.
The blade loading process appears to be pretty quick and easy. I believe that the OneBlade uses an expensive proprietary blade and not any old DE blade which are cheap, available from multiple sources with an incredible variety. I agree with everyone that this razor is unlikely to take the world by storm but my curiosity is piqued and I want to evaluate it for myself.

Love the concept! Look forward to your review!! :a21: :a21:
The site says 2 business days to ship so my razor most likely won't ship until Tuesday. It could be another week before I actually get my hands on it. I hate waiting! The review I read says the June Maxwell razor seems to work best with sharper razor blades so I ordered a 100 Nacets. They will arrive Wednesday. I am very anxious to get my hands on this razor. I have been wondering if the handle can be interchanged with other handles that I have. My guess is that the handle and the razor "base" are machined as one piece so the handle you get is the handle you live with.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The site says 2 business days to ship so my razor most likely won't ship until Tuesday. It could be another week before I actually get my hands on it. I hate waiting! The review I read says the June Maxwell razor seems to work best with sharper razor blades so I ordered a 100 Nacets. They will arrive Wednesday. I am very anxious to get my hands on this razor. I have been wondering if the handle can be interchanged with other handles that I have. My guess is that the handle and the razor "base" are machined as one piece so the handle you get is the handle you live with.

getImage.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Props up to our B&B pioneers for taking a plunge on this one, hard pass for me though. As I see it, it's a fiddly system, large footprint and the pic above doesn't look particularly encouraging - even though, admittedly it just might an odd composite angle - the blades does not seem to be equally spaced, if nothing else, slanted. By mere conjecture and observing the loading process I suspect poor blade support and an equal discomfort to those sensitive to blade chatter. But then again, props to you guys for daring a crack at this one.
Looks less fiddly than modifying blades for a Gibbs, and folks who have one are willing.

Seems like this razor has potential, I wonder if this will be the best of both worlds, de and cartridge in one?
I think it has the potential to do so. @Anu speculated on blade chatter and looking at the photo of the razor I can see the left and right edges don't have the support that a cartridge or disposable razor would have. Also in the review that I read, the reviewer stated that the razor is loud, almost musical and that it sings when shaving. I suspect blade flex is the cause and perhaps acts a bit like a tuning fork. All that I can do is speculate at this point until I experience a shave with it but I don't think that it will bother me.

I'll see how it goes with the stock handle.
My lathe is longing for a project though!
I was thinking as most handles have female threads and the razor heads have male threads, you will need to cut the handle down but leave a length attached to the head that you can turn down to the correct diameter on your lathe and then run a die down the stub to thread it. If you have a lathe then your metal working skills are definitely beyond mine. I would love to see photos if you decide to make the modification.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was thinking as most handles have female threads and the razor heads have male threads, you will need to cut the handle down but leave a length attached to the head that you can turn down to the correct diameter on your lathe and then run a die down the stub to thread it. If you have a lathe then your metal working skills are definitely beyond mine. I would love to see photos if you decide to make the modification.
Or part the handle off leaving a small section in place to drill and tap, then screw the male handle into.

Well I just got an email from Maxwell June founder Rob. He said that due to a review on another shaving website sales have been very brisk and they ran out of inventory. My razor won't ship until Thursday now. Perhaps the razors for @luvmysuper or @emwolf have shipped already.

Well I just got an email from Maxwell June founder Rob. He said that due to a review on another shaving website sales have been very brisk and they ran out of inventory. My razor won't ship until Thursday now. Perhaps the razors for @luvmysuper or @emwolf have shipped already.
So I emailed Rob back and told him that if they still had any short handled razors in black (my order was for clear anodized) I would happy with that. He emailed me back promptly and told me that they did have one short handle black razor left so they will be shipping that out to me today. I appreciate a company that responds promptly to customer communications. This is a good sign.

Top Bottom