What's new

Adjustables: A clash of shaving Titans….

I’ve been researching polishing a razor particularly for my Rockwell. I wonder if the same methods at work on your razor. Basically using sandpaper to smooth over it.

If you were stranded on a desert planet, and that was the core to your warp drive and your only hope of getting offworld or being eaten by the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast, I'd probably head to the ship's machine shop and slap it on the laser lathe. What've you got to lose? In any other circumstance, I'd ship it off to the superb space engineers in Constantinople on Earth for a complete refit and refresh (if they can do it) before blasting off again. But that's just me. :001_smile

If you were stranded on a desert planet, and that was the core to your warp drive and your only hope of getting offworld or being eaten by the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast, I'd probably head to the ship's machine shop and slap it on the laser lathe. What've you got to lose? In any other circumstance, I'd ship it off to the superb space engineers in Constantinople on Earth for a complete refit and refresh (if they can do it) before blasting off again. But that's just me. :001_smile

Murat at Rocnel has seen it and we're on a course for repair/part replacement. He'll confirm by some time this week. The man has his s**t together and has been a true professional.....

Excellent review, thanks.

I really love my Rex Ambassador Adjustable. When I bought it I was expecting to be gutted I spent so much money on it.

However, it was the best by far compared to any other adjustable safety razors I had used and like the above it's gonna last.

I'm about to find out more about the two you comparing here, Rocnel Sailor ‘21 & Homelike Taiga.

Where did you buy these razors?

Thanks
Jase

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to try to continue this comparison thread so tonight I did a side by side of my Rocnel 21 and the Tatara Muramasa.
Having used both razors for multiple shaves I know the Muramasa is a much milder adjustable. 2-5 on the Muramasa is the equivalent of the dot to about 3 1/2 on the Rocnel. The Muramasa is lighter and the design changes blade exposure and gap as you adjust from 1 to 5. The dot on the Rocnel is about a 2 on the Muramasa, so the Muramasa is definitely designed for people who prefer very little if any blade feel.
I used ETHOS peppermint soap and AS
I used a new Poland Polsilver blade in each razor.
Pacific company cork brush synthetic which whipped up a terrific lather in my Copper Capt. Choice bowl.
1st pass WTG. I set the Rocnel at 3 1/2 and the Muramasa at 5. Both razors were extremely smooth, the Muramasa was easier to whip around, as it is lighter. Blade feel was there on both razors, but not to a huge level. The Rocnel definitely took down a little more of my 2 day beard after the first pass.
2nd pass XTG. I dropped the Muramasa to level 4 and the Rocnel to level 3. Extremely smooth pass and in the end the Rocnel was BBS on my cheeks and the jawline and neck needed an ATG pass as the Muramasa was DFS everywhere but definitely needed a 3 rd pass for BBS.
3rd pass ATG. I dialed both razor down to 2 and was rewarded with a very smooth, mindless pass. Rinse and felt both sides were BBS. I will see what the duration is for both sides.
For me the Muramasa is a fantastic engineering design, that fully come apart and requires no spring for its adjustment, but it is definitely a razor for guys who prefer a milder razor. I need to go to 5 before there is significant blade feel. The Rocnel does not dial down to the lowest levels of no blade feel but delivers an extremely smooth shave, it is heavy but well balanced, and can easily give me a 2 pass BBS on higher levels.
If you prefer no blade feel or minimal blade feel the Muramasa is right up your alley, but if you want a razor that can cover a Wolfman WR2 from about 1.05 easily past 1.65 get a Rocnel 21 or his new master series.

I wanted to try to continue this comparison thread so tonight I did a side by side of my Rocnel 21 and the Tatara Muramasa.
Having used both razors for multiple shaves I know the Muramasa is a much milder adjustable. 2-5 on the Muramasa is the equivalent of the dot to about 3 1/2 on the Rocnel. The Muramasa is lighter and the design changes blade exposure and gap as you adjust from 1 to 5. The dot on the Rocnel is about a 2 on the Muramasa, so the Muramasa is definitely designed for people who prefer very little if any blade feel.
I used ETHOS peppermint soap and AS
I used a new Poland Polsilver blade in each razor.
Pacific company cork brush synthetic which whipped up a terrific lather in my Copper Capt. Choice bowl.
1st pass WTG. I set the Rocnel at 3 1/2 and the Muramasa at 5. Both razors were extremely smooth, the Muramasa was easier to whip around, as it is lighter. Blade feel was there on both razors, but not to a huge level. The Rocnel definitely took down a little more of my 2 day beard after the first pass.
2nd pass XTG. I dropped the Muramasa to level 4 and the Rocnel to level 3. Extremely smooth pass and in the end the Rocnel was BBS on my cheeks and the jawline and neck needed an ATG pass as the Muramasa was DFS everywhere but definitely needed a 3 rd pass for BBS.
3rd pass ATG. I dialed both razor down to 2 and was rewarded with a very smooth, mindless pass. Rinse and felt both sides were BBS. I will see what the duration is for both sides.
For me the Muramasa is a fantastic engineering design, that fully come apart and requires no spring for its adjustment, but it is definitely a razor for guys who prefer a milder razor. I need to go to 5 before there is significant blade feel. The Rocnel does not dial down to the lowest levels of no blade feel but delivers an extremely smooth shave, it is heavy but well balanced, and can easily give me a 2 pass BBS on higher levels.
If you prefer no blade feel or minimal blade feel the Muramasa is right up your alley, but if you want a razor that can cover a Wolfman WR2 from about 1.05 easily past 1.65 get a Rocnel 21 or his new master series.
Well done. I'd be all over the Rocnels but too heavy for a head shaver for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Disaster struck just a little while ago. I’m just disgusted at what has happened. Taking my SOTD pic for today’s shave off with the Slim and this is what happened.

The Sailor fell about 14’ from my balcony onto the sidewalk in my backyard. It’s a paperweight now…

View attachment 1301108
View attachment 1301109
View attachment 1301110
View attachment 1301111
View attachment 1301112

Yes, it’s just a razor but, DAMN!!
I need a drink or two…….

Gus, I just came across this post. I am so sorry for your loss, my friend.

I'm also glad the manufacturer may be able to help you, and pray it will all work out in the end, just exactly the way which best benefits you.

Would it have been similarly damaged had it been titanium?

In spite of it, I wish you happy shaves,

Jim

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Gus, I just came across this post. I am so sorry for your loss, my friend.

I'm also glad the manufacturer may be able to help you, and pray it will all work out in the end, just exactly the way which best benefits you.

Would it have been similarly damaged had it been titanium?

In spite of it, I wish you happy shaves,

Jim

The hardness of titanium is actually lower.
Although ti has better toughness, it cannot avoid damage caused by falling, and there may even be more scars; the advantage is that ti products are usually lighter, which can reduce the force of falling.

The longer answer is "it depends." The hardest stainless steel alloy is harder than the hardest titanium alloy. Mild stainless is softer than Grade 5 (Titanium 6Al-4V) titanium. Titanium as an element is slightly harder than iron (6 vs 5 on Mohs). Elemental titanium is much softer than steel, which is not an element but an alloy of iron, carbon and other elements. In practical, general commercial use, the hardness of titanium alloys compared to stainless steel alloys can be roughly equivalent, with other physical properties being much more significant. As above, the lighter weight of titanium (roughly half that of steel) would probably have resulted in less damage from a fall. Some charts to demonstrate the confusion (largely caused by the multitude of alloys of each metal, depending on purpose):

1630846411140.png

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom