What's new

What is the softest (ZERO scratch/scritch) badger brush ever made?

Criteria:

1. Price is NOT an object
2. ZERO, that reads Z.E.R.O., as in none, nothing, nada scratch/scritch whatsoever
3. Strong backbone (aka "badger wall")
4. Prefer method for building lather: face-lathering
5. Preferred knot size: min. 24mm, max. 28mm
6. Preferred knot shape: short bulb or fan shape, or smth. in between the two. I generally do not like the look and feel of very tall lofts.

So, what would you gents recommend?

TIA

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
This giant Rooney silvertip is the softest brush ever made. Unobtainium, it can be yours for $900.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This giant Rooney silvertip is the softest brush ever made. Unobtainium, it can be yours for $900.
View attachment 1321627
These are all truly stunning brushes @Owen Bawn, WOW. That said, I'm looking for one that I'd actually use 😁. The giant one wouldn't be "my thing". I know you have the highest of praises for CH1 in Super, IIRC? I'm only afraid it'd be a tad too small for my liking. Any thoughts...? Especially how it stacks against CH2 in same grade hair, in terms of backbone...

Owen Bawn

These are all truly stunning brushes @Owen Bawn, WOW. That said, I'm looking for one that I'd actually use 😁. The giant one wouldn't be "my thing". I know you have the highest of praises for CH1 in Super, IIRC? I'm only afraid it'd be a tad too small for my liking. Any thoughts...? Especially how it stacks against CH2 in same grade hair, in terms of backbone...
The Chubby 1 in Super is a brush I wouldn't be without. Soft with backbone. I enjoy the Chubby 2 in Super, but for me it's too big for regular use. This Omega 6652 silvertip is incredibly soft.

image.jpeg

The Chubby 1 in Super is a brush I wouldn't be without. Soft with backbone. I enjoy the Chubby 2 in Super, but for me it's too big for regular use. This Omega 6652 silvertip is incredibly soft.

View attachment 1321632
Well, I know the standard B&B answer - get both, but (at least for now) I'm looking at getting one only... the CH1 seems tiny, especially the handle... IDK, I might be wrong and it's YMMV, but if you'd hold a gun to my head, I'd take the CH2 over CH1. I'd rather have "too big" over "too small".

That said, any thoughts on Shavemac, specifically Shavemac vs. Simpson silvertip?

Owen Bawn

Well, I know the standard B&B answer - get both, but (at least for now) I'm looking at getting one only... the CH1 seems tiny, especially the handle... IDK, I might be wrong and it's YMMV, but if you'd hold a gun to my head, I'd take the CH2 over CH1. I'd rather have "too big" over "too small".

That said, any thoughts on Shavemac, specifically Shavemac vs. Simpson silvertip?
The Beagle is the only Shavemac I have used. Two band. Nice knot, but not silvertip soft.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

If you man the two-band silvertip from Simpson, I think they are quite close. I have the Simfix brush with this hair. My Tulip 3 in Super (three band) is very scritchy, my old Polo 8 in two-band super on the other hand is superb.

Shavemac two-band silvertip, hands down. Nothing is better in natural hair tips, unless you go for extremely processed tips, like the Oumo Lotus handtied knots. I think I have a dozen or so with the Shavemac two-band silvertips.
Tnx so much @Rudy Vey, I really appreciate it.

So, let me get this right - what you are saying is that Shavemac two-band silvertip is the softest silvertip badger out there, is that right?

How the Shavemac stacks against the Smpson Super (aka silvertip)...?

Asking, as I somehow prefer the looks of Simpsons, but ultimately I am after the very softest badger brush and I like the fact Shavemac has a fan-shaped knots (which Simpson doesn't).

I have 5 brushes with the Shavemac 2 band Silvertip knot that Rudy made for me and they are very good, soft tips with backbone.

I have another brush that I think is over priced with more backbone and I think a little softer tips and that is the Simpson’s Chubby 2, 2 Band Silvertip.

One other one that is very close and $150.00 less than the Simpson’s Chubby 2 , is the
Morris & Forndran 2XL Finest, almost the same backbone, & very little face feel.

That is my 2 cents worth with brushes I currently have and use every week.

Doug

I am FAR from schooled up on badgers, as I have exactly 1 badger brush in my collection, and have owned a grand total of three over the years. So very little badger experience. But, I also wanted something with no scritch, scratch, scrub, pokeys, prickles or anything else remotely rough that I was going to use to rub soap all over my face.

I did tons of research, and landed on a Varlet. The heavens smiled on me, and exactly what I wanted came up for sale (pre-owned) The original owner is a YouTuber, and I have watched him use the very brush on camera, so knew it's characteristics. He's also really nice guy who answered all my questions about the brush.

Anyway, the XD knot is dense, definitely backbone, but in such a way that it does not feel springy at all. it's a weird sort of feeling being so dense, but oh so very soft. The tips are some what gelled, but not crazy and slimy. So there's my long winded way of reccomending a Varlet. :biggrin1:

Varlet is a great brush very expensive, Rudy Vey has one and loves it, I have never owned one so can not compare. Also I have never owned a DG B9A either, I do not think Dan has ever used a Chubby 2, 2 Band Silvertip either.

I think your least expensive option that would meet your needs is what Rudy Vey recommended.

I tip my hat to both Dan & Rudy when it comes to anything about brushes.

With such a high priority in softness/lack of scritch I'm curious why you wouldn't consider a synthetic? That's one of the categories where synths totally dominate.

If it has to be natural then a full gel tip knot would be hard to beat.

I must be an outlier as I find the shavemac knots (as used in the beagle) to have a wee bit of face feel that some (such as myself) might call scritch. It's like there are one or two hairs (possibly literally) in the knot somewhere that got lost on their way to a different knot.

When I'm craving softness above all else I generally reach for one of several Elite High Mountain Whites or a Simpson SiLVERTiP (gah!). That Rooney looks amazing but might be larger than my face and I don't plan to shave my eyebrows.

Owen Bawn

I must be an outlier as I find the shavemac knots (as used in the beagle) to have a wee bit of face feel that some (such as myself) might call scritch. It's like there are one or two hairs (possibly literally) in the knot somewhere that got lost on their way to a different knot.

When I'm craving softness above all else I generally reach for one of several Elite High Mountain Whites or a Simpson SiLVERTiP (gah!). That Rooney looks amazing but might be larger than my face and I don't plan to shave my eyebrows.
This is my experience with the Beagle as well. We had Bernd set the knots 2-3 mm lower than he recommends in order to increase scrub. A bit of scritch appears to be a side effect of this, particularly in the bulb.

Top Bottom