What's new

7 O'CLOCK WEEK STARTS THE 30th OF AUGUST!!!

Tuesday shave

Kent soap
Simpson Commodore X2 brush
EJ DE89 razor
Gillette 7 O’clock Super Platinum blade
Weleda After Shave Balm

SOTD Aug31,2021.jpg

Gillette 7 O’clock Super Platinum blade, nothing to write home about this blade. This is a Russian production, a tad sharper than the greens but not as sharp as yellows. Smooth blade.
Discontinued and I am not surprised. For the guys that missed it, no reason to cry over this one.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Didn't use a 7 o'clock blade today, but only the Indian 7 O'clock Permasharp razor with Polsilver Super Iridium. A pretty decent shave.

I‘ve collected a few of these razors over the years. Never took one out of the package. I was thinking it would be a crappy shave. Does it really shave okay? I may have to tear one open and give it a shot.

5B1A61B1-3305-4D42-A142-F8359D1895BC.jpeg

I have 2 in the package too. The green one I have been using for 6-7 years. More than 100 shaves. It shaves like a 50-60s Tech more or less.
That is the prejudice most users on this forum have against plastic razors. It's an okay razor. Intended for poor people in India. You shave with it for some time and then the hinge snaps. It's only 20 rupees.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have 2 in the package too. The green one I have been using for 6-7 years. More than 100 shaves. It shaves like a 50-60s Tech more or less.
That is the prejudice most users on this forum have against plastic razors. It's an okay razor. Intended for poor people in India. You shave with it for some time and then the hinge snaps. It's only 20 rupees.
Ivan, have you tried the Diamond blade? I’m tempted to crack that one open and give the blade a try.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
So I went with an NOS New in Box Green 7 O'Clock Permasharp razor. I have these in 4 or 5 different colors, but I have a few green ones. So I grabbed that. Used the 7 O'Clock Permasharp green box blade that came in the included 2 pack. I have a few Saloons of these blades and really like them. So there was no judging the blade here, just this chintzy plastic razor. Well, it wasnt the worst shave ever. First pass was really smooth. Incredibly loud audible with this razor! But WTG was smooth sailing. XTG and ATG was not. A bit tuggy and awkward. Still loud. But there was no drama, no blood, and the CCS result was okay. I do get a much better shave from a run of the mill Tech than with this thing. I guess it has about the same results as the Guard razor maybe. Perhaps not quite to that level, but close. I will probably throw this green blade in a Charcoal Goods tomorrow and see how it rolls. Ive had a number of these plastic 7 O'Clock razors for years, and never opened one until today. Glad I did.

2021-09-01 09.40.14.jpg

2021-09-01 09.17.23.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My guess is you have a 7 o'clock blade. The only problem is to find it.
You will find it if you look for it exactly at 7 o'clock in the morning. It's magic. :lol:
Dude....I gotta be honest. Someday, if I remember I even typed this (truly doubtful!) I will have to tell y'all how crazy life has been for the last 6 months for the War Department and I, and loved ones....but ALL these "shaving" themed weeks and months have been falling off my radar!

But, the good news is this: I haven't shaved since before this "seven o'clock themed" week kicked off! .......wait minute! That's GOOD news?!? Something has got to give!!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This happened to one of mine. I LOVED that one for shower shaves. Until I DROPPED it in the shower and the hinge broke.

So I went with an NOS New in Box Green 7 O'Clock Permasharp razor. I have these in 4 or 5 different colors, but I have a few green ones. So I grabbed that. Used the 7 O'Clock Permasharp green box blade that came in the included 2 pack. I have a few Saloons of these blades and really like them. So there was no judging the blade here, just this chintzy plastic razor. Well, it wasnt the worst shave ever. First pass was really smooth. Incredibly loud audible with this razor! But WTG was smooth sailing. XTG and ATG was not. A bit tuggy and awkward. Still loud. But there was no drama, no blood, and the CCS result was okay. I do get a much better shave from a run of the mill Tech than with this thing. I guess it has about the same results as the Guard razor maybe. Perhaps not quite to that level, but close. I will probably throw this green blade in a Charcoal Goods tomorrow and see how it rolls. Ive had a number of these plastic 7 O'Clock razors for years, and never opened one until today. Glad I did.

View attachment 1320799

View attachment 1320798
The Permasharp blade is OK. Pretty sharp. Does a decent job. Nothing to write home about though. They are so cheap on Ebay. I have bought 500-600 and don't intend to buy more. The 365 is so much better.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Permasharp blade is OK. Pretty sharp. Does a decent job. Nothing to write home about though. They are so cheap on Ebay. I have bought 500-600 and don't intend to buy more. The 365 is so much better.

Agree. None of the 7 O'clock blades are in my top tier any more. Years ago, the Yellows were in my top 3. I used to enjoy all of the 7OC blades quite a bit. But they have since been eclipsed by blades that work better for me. Wizamet, Perma Sharp in the gold box. Still a lot of fun to revist these 7OC blades and shave with them from time to time. You never know what might click after not using it for a while.

Agree. None of the 7 O'clock blades are in my top tier any more.
Yes, indeed. The Indian Super Platinums are very fine blades, but with my heavy beard I need to use them in very aggressive razors to get a BBS. I have 600 of them and use them mainly in my Pearl open combs - a perfect match. They are one of the few modern blades that last 5 shaves with me.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Indian Super Platinums are very fine blades

Those are the "Blacks", correct? Yes, I like those too. Used them in my top tier for a while as well. Still have a couple hundred on hand. Recently revisited one for a few shaves and it is a good blade. I find myself gravitating to the St. Pete blades more than the India blades across the board most of the time though. But there are so many good Indian blades as well. I think my technique has refined to such an extent that I can now find the slightest differences in blades, and stick with the few that really work well to deliver the smoothest shave with the best efficiency. A lot of these 7OC blades will do the job, but they are not the smoothest for me at this point in time.

Today I used a setup similar to yesterday's with the exception of the brush. I used a TGN Silvertip 24mm knot and shaved with the 7 O’clock Super Platinum blade. Second shave on that blade confirms yesterday's findings. Not a very sharp edge. Decent results but I somehow expected a much better outcome.

Top Bottom