What's new

Why so many straight razors?

I have yet to spend $200 on a razor. Not that I wouldn't, and it's likely I will for at least one of the razors still on my wish list. Fully half of the razors I liked enough to keep were in the $20 to $40 range. Only one was more than $100.

Granted, I don't have a stable full of Filis, but I'm very happy with what I have so far.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have yet to spend $200 on a razor. Not that I wouldn't, and it's likely I will for at least one of the razors still on my wish list. Fully half of the razors I liked enough to keep were in the $20 to $40 range. Only one was more than $100.

Granted, I don't have a stable full of Filis, but I'm very happy with what I have so far.
Same and same again. I like what I’ve got, but still drool over the fine specimens and appreciate the aesthetic. There are some very robust 8/8 wedges that catch my eye, that I would really like to test drive because I think I’d like that but who knows? Perhaps one day?

are y'all spending $200+ per razor? This could get expensive fast!

Not necessarily. I have acquired about 30 razors in my eleven month journey with only a few over $200. Depends on what you are into. If you enjoy restoration, there is a constant supply of razors under $150 with many under $100. I just restored two beautiful Sheffields for less than $50 each.

If you want to buy (already) restored vintage razors then be prepared to pay over $150 per razor with some costing much more.

I started with the aim of owning 1 razor and 1 strop, I like the efficiency of this option.

Having bought a gorgeous straight I started looking on-line (back in the 90s) and saw many beautiful examples of razors that were different to mine. I was drawn to one in particular because it had a barber's notch point (I had only seen Dutch points up to then) and had file work on the spine. I purchased it almost a year after my first and still liked the idea because now I could rest the blades between use (effectively halving the wear on them).

I then continued looking but was put off by the price. Every now & then I could find a bargain razor than perhaps needed some TLC to get it back into shape. So the razor collection grew, and now stands at a modest 11.

They all have nuances and variation that makes the different, but it usually comes down to the fact that I really like the look and simplicity of the design. The craftsmanship that goes into manufacturing fine objects appeals to me;why buy a $$$ fountain pen when you can get a Bic for 0.99c? Answer, because your children would be insulted if you willed then a Bic rather than a beautiful fountain pen.

What's the reason for having 7 different razors?

It didn't take long for this thread to flush out the usual suspects. Yes, I am one.

My SRs (mostly self-restored vintage) are actually more varied shavers than my many DEs and Gem blade SEs. And far more varied than my injectors.

I do own a M7DS, and if I ever start using any of them that don't say 'Saturday', I will probably find out they all shave exactly alike. If not, the guys at Wacker are failures. But each of the seven is BEAUTIFUL. As are even my ugly SRs, so I guess that is the reason I own so many.

try {
buyRazor();
honeRazor();
shaveWithRazor();
} catch (NotEnoughMoneyException e) {
} catch (RazorIsHopelessException e) {
} catch (BadHoningJobException e) {
} catch (RazorShapedObjectException e) {
}
Just don't try to catch a falling razor - that may lead to a ToeNotFound Exception 🤣. Man this thread took a twist I just didn't C coming! <\BadAttemptAtHumor>

Last edited:
Maybe. If tech geeks qualify as engineers, at least. I should write a humorous razor subroutine in IBM Assembler/F (aka BAL), but then I would have to write a macro to make invoking the subroutine easier for these higher-level language and SQL fanboys.

Besides, I'm stuck in an endless loop, honing some vintage razors with wavy blades. I think @Herrenberg knows about that bug.

It happens, sure. But it doesn't have to be that way at all. If you learn to hone well, and to spot old razors that are worth buying, there is a whole world of razors from previous generations that shaved with a straight. Tons of excellent old razors in the $50-100 range, if you're looking for a great shave, and not a collector's piece.

Or even good restorable razors in the $15 to $30 range if you have time on your hands and enjoy browsing vintage stores. I'm not broke, just cheap.
4284E376-062D-43A5-BB29-E2354A555646.jpeg

0CC1E128-627E-42C4-A85C-8926A4F426B2.jpeg

Grind - full hollow, half hollow, quarter hollow, wedge​
Point - French, Dutch, Spanish, American​
Stabiliser - none, single, double​
Belly - none, face only, back only, both sides​
Just that gives 240 variations.

240 is a bit suspect tbh since 3·4³=192

Why so many straight razors?

Well, I guess that depends on what you consider to be "so many" or "too many". Technically, you only need one pair of sturdy all-weather shoes, right?

For me its about the grind/size of the razor.
A 5/8 hollow grind is a different shave from a big ol wedge razor.
Different grinds have completely different feels,Different steels feel different on the skin.
There really is a difference from an old Sheffield razor steel to a modern steel Straight.
I guess it’s all about variety.
How you hone the edge is a factor etc.

When I began honing I would acquire multiple “barn find” razors in need of repair to develop my skills. They were relatively cheap and plentiful, but with different grinds, sizes, shapes and styles. Turns out I was able to get many of those castaways shave ready. I now have a humble stable of razors I enjoy using and relish the variety.
What did you do for scales on those barn finds, that is, if they needed replacement?

Top Bottom