What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

I'll start a Tallow Tabac Tuesday event...
I don't know if it's a thing, but I'll enjoy it.
All of you are invited to join me...

I just found the tallow hiding in two ‘new’ pucks of Haslinger!

F62C1567-8607-4042-8A04-0DDE366AB7EC.jpeg
FC15AC7F-F47D-4BF6-A7C5-556CC3A7FF18.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
So what’s the bottom line? What’s left? I need to know what to stock up on.

I have enough Tabac to last a few years. What about MWF? I’m getting old, so my stash doesn’t need to be too large, but I don’t want my last shave to be with vegan crap.

Really ?? Is a good news ! Haslinger returns to tallow ? Great !

Seeing the post of my colleague @Tomo , with a lot of hope in my soul, I checked my stock of Haslinger pucks. Unfortunately, out of 10 pucks, I don't even have one with a tallow! Total disappointment! I'm lucky that the Haslinger version without tallow is great!

P1130311.JPG P1130312.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, yes please! It wouldn't be that uncommon that you guys get the new stuff whereas our shelves are filled for decades (like with the Palmolive stick - even if they reduced the price to 0,55 EUR nobody buys that soap).
Personally, I would think that it most likely will be an improvement if they changed to non tallow. Also Haslinger soaps got much better after they changed to a non tallow formula. With todays knowledge and production techniques you can make better soaps. I think the Italians started that kind of thing.
Indeed. Officina Artigiana & 4.3 Saponificio Varesino are best examples.

Also the Schafmilch without tallow performs better than the one with tallow.

People many times believe that the "old one thing" is better, which is not always the case.

The Schafmilch with tallow performs better than the one without tallow.
@Tomo, that Ringelblumen is gone off.
That might explain why they included these pucks for free with the order. Shifting old stock. Smells ok but has a white dusting on the surface. I thought that these hard picks were meant to last forever.

Unfortunately they don't. Especially the ones with tallow.
Don't get me wrong, Haslinger soaps are excellent soaps. Among the best I could say. Expensive though...

Unfortunately they don't. Especially the ones with tallow.
Don't get me wrong, Haslinger soaps are excellent soaps. Among the best I could say. Expensive though...
Soap is one of many basic products to shoot up in price since the pandemic. I suspect this is due to increased shipping costs. Especially for a soap made in Europe, shipping has to be a major component of the retail price.

Soap is one of many basic products to shoot up in price since the pandemic. I suspect this is due to increased shipping costs. Especially for a soap made in Europe, shipping has to be a major component of the retail price.
True. I guess shipping basically is a huge price factor. Haslinger soaps (60g pucks) can be found in continental Europe for less than 4.50 USD, Tabac refill pucks are available for 8.50 USD. Vice versa Stirling Soap retails for approx 21 USD over here.

So what’s the bottom line? What’s left? I need to know what to stock up on.

I have enough Tabac to last a few years. What about MWF? I’m getting old, so my stash doesn’t need to be too large, but I don’t want my last shave to be with vegan crap.
All my soaps collection are 100% tallow, completely 100% free from crappy vegan, I’m proud to wear my t-shirt saying flip the middle salute to vegan.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just received a few pucks of Tabac shaving soap. I got the refill pucks.
I've read through the ingredients list on the back of the box and I am not seeing tallow or tallowate listed anywhere. Have they changed the formula?
The answer is:
Vegetable oil is far cheaper than tallow but with the addition of lye, you make soap. If you want tallow, there will always be Arko - my favorite.

Black Tie Razor specifically reminds me of Tabac from a performance perspective. I've tried two - Sir Henry and No. 13 both tallow formulas. Very Tabac-esque performance. They have veggie and tallow soaps so take note.

Also bought two pucks of Mike's Natural to play with based off a sample of Barber Shop which isn't even finished. Reminds me of one of my favorite soaps but I don't know where the flame suit is so I ain't saying which. Lovely, confident top shelf shave. Despite the lanolin and clay (why?) I find the PSF neutral and quite comfortable.

Where's the tallow? There's a couple to try. Of course my stash is full of Speick, Palmolive stick, Williams. La Toja - whoops it's a veggie!

With the demise of the reference standard of shaving soaps the hunt is on. YMMV! Have fun!

Last edited:
Black Tie Razor specifically reminds me of Tabac from a performance perspective. I've tried two - Sir Henry and No. 13 both tallow formulas. Very Tabac-esque performance. They have veggie and tallow soaps so take note.

Also bought two pucks of Mike's Natural to play with based off a sample of Barber Shop which isn't even finished. Reminds me of one of my favorite soaps but I don't know where the flame suit is so I ain't saying which. Lovely, confident top shelf shave. Despite the lanolin and clay (why?) I find the PSF neutral and quite comfortable.

Where's the tallow? There's a couple to try. Of course my stash is full of Speick, Palmolive stick, Williams. La Toja - whoops it's a veggie!

With the demise of the reference standard of shaving soaps the hunt is on. YMMV! Have fun!

Pasteurs slipped in a sample of Sir Henry’s Black Tie Affair in a recent Tabac order I received from them. I haven’t tried it yet, but now I’m intrigued.

Pasteurs slipped in a sample of Sir Henry’s Black Tie Affair in a recent Tabac order I received from them. I haven’t tried it yet, but now I’m intrigued.

Affair is a veggie soap. Here's some (my) thoughts of Black Velvet also veggie posted on another site;

Black Velvet
Lathering Ease 5/5 Based on my trials with Sir Henry’s I wanted to see how much water Black Velvet could take without falling apart within reason of course. As you can see in the pic it finally started to get a bubble here and there so on the face it went.
Lather Quality 5/5 Firm, gorgeous.
Slickness 4/5
Protection 5/5 7th shave on this blade, lather made it feel like the 2nd or 3rd.
Closeness of Shave 4/5
Post Shave Feel Neutral to slightly moisturising.
Scent 3/5 Nice scent would be good if a bit stronger and lasted longer.
Excellent soap. 4.3/5 based largely on performance criteria.

YMMV but enjoy the journey!

Affair is a veggie soap. Here's some (my) thoughts of Black Velvet also veggie posted on another site;

Black Velvet
Lathering Ease 5/5 Based on my trials with Sir Henry’s I wanted to see how much water Black Velvet could take without falling apart within reason of course. As you can see in the pic it finally started to get a bubble here and there so on the face it went.
Lather Quality 5/5 Firm, gorgeous.
Slickness 4/5
Protection 5/5 7th shave on this blade, lather made it feel like the 2nd or 3rd.
Closeness of Shave 4/5
Post Shave Feel Neutral to slightly moisturising.
Scent 3/5 Nice scent would be good if a bit stronger and lasted longer.
Excellent soap. 4.3/5 based largely on performance criteria.

YMMV but enjoy the journey!

They really don’t have much info on their site—no scent descriptions or ingredients that I can see.

Top Bottom