What's new

I now own a traditional 8 yard wool kilt

I will be able to get back to blinding the town while I ride my bicycle (you can't un-see a fat man in spandex).

I've got the spandex! Unfortunately on furlough from biking until we get this house out of quarantine.

Is there a connection between cycling and a desire for kilts? This thread suggests that. I fought off the kilt urge when last attending the Highland Games, but my garage is overfilled with bicycles and I have an oversupply of spandex bibs.

I've got the spandex! Unfortunately on furlough from biking until we get this house out of quarantine.

Is there a connection between cycling and a desire for kilts? This thread suggests that. I fought off the kilt urge when last attending the Highland Games, but my garage is overfilled with bicycles and I have an oversupply of spandex bibs.
I think it might be... My 2013 Orbea Orca purchased new in 2015 resides in the house. My 1985 Centurion LeMans 12 speed is outside along with my Raleigh Talus 29er hardtail mountain bike.

My addiction to spandex is short sleeve funny jerseys and quality bib shorts....

My bib shorts and knickers are of varying qualities. Jerseys are strictly snagged up hi-viz.

I restored my 1975 Centurion LeMans 10 speed as I returned to training runs after getting enough boys out of the house to have time for something sportif. That has been passed to #2 son. Now my craigslist carbon Fuji Gran Fondo gets most of my sporting saddle time.

If I get inspired to finally get a utilikilt, I'll find out if I'm man enough to wear it to Fred Meyer when I do my grocery shopping on the Trek 930 hardfork/tail that has retired from the mountains to become my utility bike. Utility bike/utilikilt, seems like a match.

I would need fake ID to wear a formal kilt. Very English surname, from up by the Lake District. My ancestors probably spent a lot of time dodging angry gentlemen with claymores.

I would need fake ID to wear a formal kilt. Very English surname, from up by the Lake District. My ancestors probably spent a lot of time dodging angry gentlemen with claymores.

Absolutely not true. Plenty of non-Scottish kilt wearers out there sporting tartans of all kinds. If you're looking for a kilt, go for it. It doesn't have to be a Utilikilt. Check out Stillwater Kilts for a less expensive entry into kilts. USA Kilts is also a great place to get started. I get that it can be daunting because it's not the norm of men's dress, but once you're in you'll wonder what took you so long.

Also, I'm trying to downsize my stable of bikes, but I've got an '85 Miyata 310 to throw in the ring with the other vintage steel listed above.

Ooh, ooh, great taste in bikes here. I bought my Miyata 1000 in '85. Number 1 son seized that when he was still in high school. I ran out of vintage steel for #3, but found a pretty cherry 70's Raleigh Carlton works Super Course last fall on craigslist for him.

Now I suppose I should buy them all kilts...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've ordered 8 yards with matching flashes and fly plaid in modern, ancient and hunting.
Figure this will be enough for frequent wear and I'll have the option of going full dress or dressing down for day wear.
Really appreciate the prompt to get me moving on this after years of thinking about it!

I've ordered 8 yards with matching flashes and fly plaid in modern, ancient and hunting.
Figure this will be enough for frequent wear and I'll have the option of going full dress or dressing down for day wear.
Really appreciate the prompt to get me moving on this after years of thinking about it!

Awesome! Hope you'll share pics when they arrive.

Congratulations on your new kilt! I'm less adventurous and opted for my McMillin clan tartan as a tie.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1
My kilt will be making a maiden voyage tomorrow. I will be dressing casual with some Danner black 12 inch combat boots, a button down sport shirt under an open leather vest. I will have the Sporran and a beret with my clan cap pin attached.

I will have an 11 inch Afghan issue Kukri on my Kilt belt, and an Applegate Fairbairn boot knife made by Boker in the right boot since my Sgian Dubh hasn't arrived yet.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My kilt will be making a maiden voyage tomorrow. I will be dressing casual with some Danner black 12 inch combat boots, a button down sport shirt under an open leather vest. I will have the Sporran and a beret with my clan cap pin attached.

I will have an 11 inch Afghan issue Kukri on my Kilt belt, and an Applegate Fairbairn boot knife made by Boker in the right boot since my Sgian Dubh hasn't arrived yet.

We need pics!
With your face appropriately blurred out of course!

We need pics!
With your face appropriately blurred out of course!

Why would I blur my face? I am not worried about the security issue... but then again I wouldn't want to affect anyone's vision negatively.... but then you would miss my Rip Van Winkle beard (down to the middle of my chest).

Yes I will have a couple pictures taken, but I won't do the duck lips you see so often in a selfie.

Okay, had to readjust after picture was taken.

I think I will send this back to have buckles moved so instead of being a 60-63 inch waist it will be a 57-60 inch. Waist as I have the straps as tight as they will go

I think I will send this back to have buckles moved so instead of being a 60-63 inch waist it will be a 57-60 inch. Waist as I have the straps as tight as they will go. I hung the sporran from the chain instead of the belt.

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_135858.jpg
    IMG_20210904_135858.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 27
Great kilt, great beard.

I have just reduced to a goatee, myself. When you have the kukri on the belt and combat dagger in the boot, I'm not sure I want to run into you in a dark alley.

Maybe I would just distract you with single malt and run the other direction. Here is my least common bottle. From the only distillery I managed to tour. I'm more an Islay guy myself, but I was on the isle on a Sunday!
B294F42D-59E7-406C-AFFD-7DC94B0E1132.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I think I will send this back to have buckles moved so instead of being a 60-63 inch waist it will be a 57-60 inch. Waist as I have the straps as tight as they will go. I hung the sporran from the chain instead of the belt.
Looking good!

Great kilt, great beard.

I have just reduced to a goatee, myself. When you have the kukri on the belt and combat dagger in the boot, I'm not sure I want to run into you in a dark alley.

Maybe I would just distract you with single malt and run the other direction. Here is my least common bottle. From the only distillery I managed to tour. I'm more an Islay guy myself, but I was on the isle on a Sunday!
View attachment 1322929
Very nice.

I really like the occasional dram of Knappogue Castle 12 year old single malt Irish Whiskey.

Looking good!

Thank you.

I am going to have more Loop sewn to the back of the belt as the belt is a hook and loop to hold the buckle (that way it can go tighter).

I lost at least an inch from time of order to time of delivery (12 weeks).

I used one of my old 1 1/4 inch leather belts I have shrunk out of to hold the kilt on.

Received a few compliments as yesterday was haircut day for the family (we all load up and go to our favorite beautician, grocery shopping trip, and then we came home and put the groceries away and I went to a private event for veterans, first responders, and their families. At the veteran's event I was asked about the kilt as a few of the gents there are Scottish.

We had smoked turkey breast, smoked tri-tip, sausages, macaroni salad and pasta salad both homemade.

While I drank water there was Soju there, and some homemade apple pie (moonshine) so I watched on individual slowly enjoy his Soju, and one who learned that Sir Isaac Newton's third law couldn't be broken (gravity took over when he tried to stand) as Soju is one that sneaks up on you.

It was nice to be amongst brothers and sisters. We gave each other a hard time, and had many laughs.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I went out to a local military surplus shop and snagged a couple of wooly pully combat sweaters in olive drab and one in black for casual wear.
Happened across a genuine MA-1 flight jacket that is perfect waist length for cooler weather.

I went out to a local military surplus shop and snagged a couple of wooly pully combat sweaters in olive drab and one in black for casual wear.
Happened across a genuine MA-1 flight jacket that is perfect waist length for cooler weather.
Lucky.

Military wool is the best and you can't beat the MA-1 flight jackets.

Top Bottom