What's new

I now own a traditional 8 yard wool kilt

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Premium 8 yard kilt (threads of the seams are on the inside)
Hunting Sporran (pouch for wallet, keys, hanky, flask)
Flyplaid (cape for lack of a better term for super formal occasions) made from same bolt of wool as kilt
shawl for wife from same bolt of wool
clan hat pin
clan belt buckle
kilt belt (three inch with celtic knots embossed)
clan kilt pin
hose flashes
black hose
kilt hanger (to hang kilt in closet)

All this came to just under $1500.00
I paid a surcharge as my tartan isn't one that is available off the rack so it costs a bit extra and there is a bit extra wait time while the cloth is woven. I do have the extra material as it was sent with the kilt.

The Sgian Dubh (sock knife) ran about 165.00, but is being made custom as I wanted function over looks.

I already have tuxedo jackets and suit jackets and tuxedo vests so I didn't buy the vest or jacket. I also have the formal dress shoes, the casual dress shoes, and Army issue Danner boots so I am set for footwear.
You forgot the socks!
😉

Edit: Never mind, I see now I missed them. 😆

When I see a man in a kilt I'm always surprised at how natural and manly it looks. If I had a drop of Scottish blood I'd go for it myself.

That total price is not out of line with a tuxedo/dinner suit, pleated shirt, cufflinks and studs, cummerbund, bow tie, formal socks, and patent or other suitably formal shoes, and it sounds like more fun.

Don't I know as I own two Tuxedos, and a few three piece suits. Mine aren't even the real expensive ones, but the Men's Wearhouse variety.

You forgot the socks!
😉

Edit: Never mind, I see now I missed them. 😆

I purchased black hose and wine colored hose... I also often wear compression socks that are knee length so I have some of those that are whimsical (music notes, hearts, dots, heart beats).

I figure I can go super casual with the kilt or super formal depending on what I wear with it... Kilt, black leather side lace vest, combat boots, or kilt, suit jacket, dress shoes (black or my authentic penguin hide wingtips [black and white]); or anything in between.

When I see a man in a kilt I'm always surprised at how natural and manly it looks. If I had a drop of Scottish blood I'd go for it myself.

Irish, Scottish, Italian, German; what's the difference.. go buy one and have fun with it. They come in all price points depending on materials (PV cloth, wool, etc..)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I bought the Kilt and accessories from USAKilts.com. The Sgian Dubh was ordered from a custom knife maker.

The Tartan I purchased is made by House of Edgar.

Thank you very much, you inspired me to finally get off my duff and do what I've wanted to do for ages!

Just ordered the Premier 8 yard kilt (16oz wool)
I ordered the tartan from USAKilts as they have my clan available in 16oz wool
Flyplaid and clan crest plaid brooch
Dress sporran
Semi-dress sporran
Sporran chain
Clan belt buckle
Kilt belt
Clan kilt pin
Matching hose flashes
Charcoal hose
Kilt hanger
Clan functional Sgian Dubh
Kilkenny jacket and vest
Ghillie Brogues
Clan flask
Bow tie
Clan tie
Wing collar tux shirt

Now we wait!
I have to add that the USAKilt site is one of the glitchiest sites I have used.
It took a concerted effort, and I still have to give them a call because I get conflicting info on order and shopping cart status.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, you inspired me to finally get off my duff and do what I've wanted to do for ages!

Just ordered the Premier 8 yard kilt (16oz wool)
I ordered the tartan from USAKilts as they have my clan available in 16oz wool
Flyplaid and clan crest plaid brooch
Dress sporran
Semi-dress sporran
Sporran chain
Clan belt buckle
Kilt belt
Clan kilt pin
Matching hose flashes
Charcoal hose
Kilt hanger
Clan functional Sgian Dubh
Kilkenny jacket and vest
Ghillie Brogues
Clan flask
Bow tie
Clan tie
Wing collar tux shirt

Now we wait!
I have to add that the USAKilt site is one of the glitchiest sites I have used.
It took a concerted effort, and I still have to give them a call because I get conflicting info on order and shopping cart status.
Good for you.

I also would recommend if you are Scottish or Irish joining the Scottish American Military Society.

I called them to place my order while looking at the items in my cart and then made sure I didn't miss anything.

It was about 12 weeks from order to door.

I still have to buy a button down shirt with epaulets to wear to their functions with my kilt. I can wear my military ribbons with the shirt and kilt (mostly Navy, but one Army Achievement medal earned as a civilian).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Good for you.

I also would recommend if you are Scottish or Irish joining the Scottish American Military Society.

I called them to place my order while looking at the items in my cart and then made sure I didn't miss anything.

I still have to buy a button down shirt with epaulets to wear to their functions with my kilt. I can wear my military ribbons with the shirt and kilt (mostly Navy, but one Army Achievement medal earned as a civilian).

Thanks, I'll give it a look!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Good for you.

I looked up SAMS and it sounds very cool. I'm going to send the application in I think. Have to dig out my DD214. Thanks for that!

I called USA Kilts today and they really are a pleasure to talk to. Some very helpful folks.
They are in the process of shifting their website over to a new software package and have been having some problems. They told me that right now they are running about 10 weeks on orders with custom items.

I looked up SAMS and it sounds very cool. I'm going to send the application in I think. Have to dig out my DD214. Thanks for that!

I called USA Kilts today and they really are a pleasure to talk to. Some very helpful folks.
They are in the process of shifting their website over to a new software package and have been having some problems. They told me that right now they are running about 10 weeks on orders with custom items.
Very nice..

The SAMS magazine has wonderful history in it, both American and European.

If you ever get over my way the beer is on me

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And the unicycle. And the bagpipes.

I still haven't manned up and gotten a utilikilt. That's as far as I could go.
I wrestled with that for a long time.
I finally decided that if I were to do this, I wanted to be sure that people recognized I was wearing a kilt and not something I borrowed from my frumpy sister!

I finally decided that if I were to do this, I wanted to be sure that people recognized I was wearing a kilt and not something I borrowed from my frumpy sister!

More than enough people are familiar enough with the Utilikit and other modern utility kilts to know what's going on. Wearing a tartan kilt won't stop the "skirt" comments from those who are inclined to make such comments. Having worn my fair share of both, I've found that either will garner the same amount of attention and comment from both supporters and detractors.

It's been awhile since I've worn mine since quarantine hit thanks to my gaining a significant amount of weight. This thread has inspired me to start working on losing said weight to get back into my kilts as I miss wearing them.

More than enough people are familiar enough with the Utilikit and other modern utility kilts to know what's going on. Wearing a tartan kilt won't stop the "skirt" comments from those who are inclined to make such comments. Having worn my fair share of both, I've found that either will garner the same amount of attention and comment from both supporters and detractors.

It's been awhile since I've worn mine since quarantine hit thanks to my gaining a significant amount of weight. This thread has inspired me to start working on losing said weight to get back into my kilts as I miss wearing them.
I need to get my fitness on, but with open wounds on both my upper legs (thanks to Proteus Mirabiles and Strep B which has been eradicated from me) I have been having a hard time with even walking. Once I get the cores/ingrown hairs/mystery tissue removed I will be able to get back to blinding the town while I ride my bicycle (you can't un-see a fat man in spandex).

I will be able to get back to blinding the town while I ride my bicycle (you can't un-see a fat man in spandex).
Due to some back issues from a cycling injury, I've not been able to blind anyone for awhile. It's part of why I've gained so much. That and being at home close to the refrigerator all the time.

Due to some back issues from a cycling injury, I've not been able to blind anyone for awhile. It's part of why I've gained so much. That and being at home close to the refrigerator all the time.
I have taken to grazing... but only a couple mouthfuls or a piece of fruit at a time... I actually have lost weight while teleworking without any exercise.... I do need to go to the local bike store and get some bar tape as I tore mine when riding a couple blocks on vacation to put my bike in a locked bicycle room.

Top Bottom