What's new

Lime and Bay Rum Shave Soap Suggestions?

I had an E-Shave Lime and Vetiver cream I gave to my son (I don't really care for creams), but I loved the lime scent first thing in the morning. I try to keep my soap stock down to just a few, so I don't like to buy just to try large tubs so I've looked at Stirling, Seaforth (offer samples) and Col Conk (not sure as someone made the "smells like a Jolly Rancher candy" comment). Before I do, I'd like to hear from others regarding a nice strong, natural smelling Lime soap with good lathering performance (body but more importantly slickness/protective) choice--does not need to have a matching aftershave.

My son asked me if I knew of a good Bay Rum soap/or cream and aftershave--I admit I'm not a bay rum person (maybe I am, I just don't know it yet), so I'm hoping that others may be able to provide suggestions. He favors a strong scented soap (also lathering performance/slickness), but doesn't care for Bay Rum that's too "Clove forward" scent wise, or one that's a challenge to lather (heard that Ogalla Bay Rum might be one of them). The aftershave and soap don't need to be from the same company/brand, just pair well. While I'd buy his first bay rum soap/aftershave, any future purchases would be on him, so not looking for anything over $25 for either the soap or aftershave as he doesn't have the disposable income available.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated from the fine members of B&B!

Shannon's Soaps 25th St Lime, a fantastic natural lime scent that does have a matching aftershave also it has great performance and its quite reasonably priced.

For bay rum I love Barrister and Mann soap but it might be a bit too clove forward, Bootlegger's Bay Rum or Captain's Choice are two of my favorite aftershaves. You would have to mix your own bootlegger's.

Chiseled Face Bay Rum has a distinct bergamot/lime and ginger note that make is much brighter and than most bay rums. It's a favorite, very citrusy and bright! Here are their notes on it:
This is a tropical bay rum - quite different than most bay rums on the market today - this one actually has a bit of a rum kick to it and is spiced up with ginger and lime to give it a lighter more tropical feel.

For a good performing soap and aftershave combo, Captain's Choice Bay Rum or their Lime have been favorites for years. If you want an eye-opener aftershave, try their Cat O'Nine Tails. It's a must try-think Home Alone. I keep hoping for a Co9T soap. Ogallala probably fits your "clove forward" scent. I love their Bay Rum, and Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorn aftershaves, however, Ogallala and Conk shave soaps never really performed well for me.

0C382117-78F5-418A-B80C-0BB03D2AE11A.jpeg

Lime is one of my favorite scents for soap and this one does not disappoint.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm kind of new to Bayrum Aftershaves and soaps. PAA atomic age Bayrum is sure talked about a lot and has no clove(I like some clove in my Bayrum). Colonel Conk Bayrum soap is OK IMO with good protection, I really enjoy Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood aftershave but it has some clove and the Ogallala Bayrum soaps are very good in slickness but the foam is a little different than other soaps.
PAA Atomic age Bayrum aftershave and Atomic age CK6 Bayrum soaps are the ones I almost pulled the trigger on but they are twice as much money as Ogallala products & are they better?
Citrus scents if natural tend to flee quickly and are usually top notes on most fragrances.
These are the ingredients in the Ogallala Bayrum soap I used this morning for my shave.
SOTD. Thur, Aug 26th.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Having recently tried a sample, I will echo Beefdrippings suggestion of Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny for performance and scent. I will add to it that Anne Bonny has no added clove to it, or other spices. You can smell the faint clove-like characteristic of Bay Rum itself, however. Also, (courtesy of WCS recent sale) I wound up trying the ASB of English Phoenix & Beau's Imperial Rum. It has some other spice, but also lists no clove. I can even say that these two work well together, FWIW, in my experience.

For a good performing soap and aftershave combo, Captain's Choice Bay Rum or their Lime have been favorites for years. If you want an eye-opener aftershave, try their Cat O'Nine Tails. It's a must try-think Home Alone. I keep hoping for a Co9T soap.

^^This^^

I do not think I could expand upon that which was so perfectly stated.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Your post seems to me to be a request for suggestions for a Lime soap and a Bay Rum soap.

For a slick Lime soap I would consider:
Taylor of Old Bond Street Lime Zest - Not a candied lime scent, but more of a natural lime mixed with a slightly woody undertone. TOBS has always met my slickness and protection criteria which has recently gone up.
Mike's Natural Soaps Lime - Although I don't have this particular Mike's soap, it's been getting good reviews from B&B members. I have other Mike's soaps and I can say that Mike's Natural soaps have excellent slickness and provide good protection during the shave...in my opinion, definitely above average slickness and protection for this soap.

As far as a Bay Rum soap/cream...oh boy...I have so many.

Mike's Natural Soaps Bay Rum - Might as well parrot the above for their Bay Rum.
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Age Bay Rum CK-6 Formula - Dynamite scent, extra slickness! They have several takes on Bay Rum and if I'm not mistaken all come in their CK-6 Formula...which is slicker than their regular CK formula which isn't bad either quite honestly.
Chiseled Face Groomatorium Bay Rum - Mentioned above by several members. It has tallow and other slickening agents. And as mentioned above, great take on Bay Rum
Wet Shaving Products Bay Rum Formula T - Tallow and shea butter make this Bay Rum with a lime kick...very slick.
Zingari Man The Nomad - Also mentioned above, Zingari Man soaps are good in the slickness and protection department. Their Bay Rum and Mystic Waters Bay Rum have a very similar scent.
Mystic Waters Bay Rum - Tallow with other slickening agents put this soap into the above average slickness category. Nice scent...see Zingari Man The Nomad above...very similar scent.
Captain's Choice Bay Rum - Also mentioned above...I always seem to have a good experience with Captain's Choice soaps and creams. In their Bay Rum scent, I have both the soap and the cream and both provide above average slickness for me. An extremely true, no-nonsense Bay Rum scent.
The Sudsy Soapery Bay & Citrus - Tallow and triple butter shave soap...slip sliding away in Bay Rum!
Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum - Tallow with additional slickeners make this Bay Rum, Spice and Lime soap a good bet for protection and glide.
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum - One of my favorite Bay Rums...a thirsty soap, but definitely above average slickness and glide.

Top Bottom