What's new

AGOCC - Anything Goes October Cheapskates Challenge

Back in April a group of us completed a cheapskates den-from-scratch challenge - everything brand new, readily available and $30 in total with which to acquire it all. (The thread can be found here: AFFCC).

@Multum in parvo tagged me the other day in reference to that experience, which reminded me that it would be fun to do it again... But with less restrictions on what you can buy.

So, let's do it!
Putting this out there now ready for October start to give any participants plenty of time to get things ready, etc.

Rules (most are unchanged from April):
1) You have $30 (or for those of us outside the USA, check the current conversion rate and round to the nearest unit of currency)

2) You should account for everything required for April's shaves from this $30 budget.
That is, whichever of the following you'll want/need to use: Razor, Blades, soap/stick/cream, shave oil, Brush, aftershave/balm, etc...
You aren't limited to just one of each, if you can get variety in within budget, go for it.
(You don't necessarily need to share your sources unless you want to).

3) Don't factor in bulk discounts - if you're going to use (for example) 5/10/etc blades, budget for how much a tuck of 5/10/etc would cost (not how much they'd cost each when buying 100+).

4) You may use items you already own, or items loaned/PIF'd/etc, but factor in a price for them as if you were buying them for your $30 den - for example, what you paid (if you remember it!), a price from eBay completed listings or BST (roughly equivalent condition), etc.

5a) New and second hand are both fine to use.
5b) No freebies/samples please.
5c) Homemade items are fine, but factor in the cost of materials/parts/ingredients - if you can make a brush handle and just buy a knot that's cool, if you make your own soaps, creams or balms that's cool, etc!!

That's it!

On paper this should be easier than the new-only version we played in April, but the point remains the same - build an entire den for the price of a typical "entry level" DE razor (DE89 etc) - using any kind of razor you like, DE, SE, Straight, Shavette, even carts if you really want to 🤣

If anyone wants to restrict themselves to a tighter budget to make it more difficult that's perfectly fine!!

As before, I'm intending to count postage in as part of the cost of any items I use - you're free to do so or not!

If anyone is making their own of any particular items (eg: brushes, soaps, creams, balms etc), please feel free to share tips and tricks, how-to's and so on, it'll certainly enrich the thread to have them included!!

(Tagging AFFCC participants in case interested: @bjm @Raven Koenes @luv2shave @Rosseforp @wmadoty @Dovo1695

Great plan @BubblesUK but October is a hard contested month with Tabactober and OCtober and potentially @JAHE SOCtober running in parallel…

So I’m game for 2022 AFFCC but for me October belongs to Tabac :thumbsup:. This year in loving memory of the tallow formula.

You could do both... 🤔🍻 I'm sure you of all people can get Tabac within budget!

Point taken though, I guess we'll see if there's any interest - if not, perhaps shift to Nov/Dec/January or let it go altogether, will play it by ear 🙂

3.56 razor: Gillette Super Blue from Aliexpress 8.9US $ |Gillette Super Blue Shaving Razor For Men 1 Holder With Blade Classic Safety Razor Shave Beard For Men Shaving New|Razor| - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002253196806.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.208c40f4Hi35JK&algo_pvid=a656f885-3c03-4149-8571-5347942edaa7&algo_exp_id=a656f885-3c03-4149-8571-5347942edaa7-5

10.25 Brush: Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf from Aliexpress 10.25US $ 31% OFF|26mm Yaqi Timber Wolf Color Synthetic Hair Shaving Brush|shaving brush|synthetic hair shaving brushhair shaving brush - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32838457823.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_promotion.promoteRecommendProducts_undefined.7

1.00 pack of blades from Dollar General. I haven't tried these nor seen much about these, but some think they are Dorcos which work well enough for me. Product page - https://www.dollargeneral.com/products/product-page.studio-selection-double-edge-stainless-steel-razor-blades-5-pack.html

7.50-8.00 Proraso from ebay

3.50 AV Ice Sport from the grocery store.

comes to about $27.61 all in.

You can knock about 2.50 off by getting a Arko stick from ebay instead of Proraso. Do that and skip the aftershave and you can get a pack of known blades.

I was in the position of playing in the AFFCC but now I have PIF'd my economic razors and only have SS razors which alone will cross the $30 limit.

I don't have access to the vintage razors otherwise I'd be able to join in.

Good luck with the AGOCC, I'll be cheering from the sides.

3.56 razor: Gillette Super Blue from Aliexpress 8.9US $ |Gillette Super Blue Shaving Razor For Men 1 Holder With Blade Classic Safety Razor Shave Beard For Men Shaving New|Razor| - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002253196806.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.208c40f4Hi35JK&algo_pvid=a656f885-3c03-4149-8571-5347942edaa7&algo_exp_id=a656f885-3c03-4149-8571-5347942edaa7-5

10.25 Brush: Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf from Aliexpress 10.25US $ 31% OFF|26mm Yaqi Timber Wolf Color Synthetic Hair Shaving Brush|shaving brush|synthetic hair shaving brushhair shaving brush - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32838457823.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_promotion.promoteRecommendProducts_undefined.7

1.00 pack of blades from Dollar General. I haven't tried these nor seen much about these, but some think they are Dorcos which work well enough for me. Product page - https://www.dollargeneral.com/products/product-page.studio-selection-double-edge-stainless-steel-razor-blades-5-pack.html

7.50-8.00 Proraso from ebay

3.50 AV Ice Sport from the grocery store.

comes to about $27.61 all in.

You can knock about 2.50 off by getting a Arko stick from ebay instead of Proraso. Do that and skip the aftershave and you can get a pack of known blades.

Sounds good - pretty similar to the kinds of things we used in April and still perfectly acceptable for this!

Are you interested in joining in? 🙂

I was in the position of playing in the AFFCC but now I have PIF'd my economic razors and only have SS razors which alone will cross the $30 limit.

I don't have access to the vintage razors otherwise I'd be able to join in.

Good luck with the AGOCC, I'll be cheering from the sides.

Ahh I see - absolutely fair enough, I know it's not for everyone!

This one I bought on eBay a month ago is probably what I'll pick for the razor...

It's not a show queen and I'll be making up a replacement handle at the very least (the top cap came slightly scratched and without all its plating, so by the time I tidied that up it's bare brass, I'll take pics of that later).

Importantly, though, the combs are straight!

But it was also £8.20 including postage which is not much different pricewise to the Baili I used in April.

Screenshot_20210824-190610_eBay.jpg

20210824_190656.jpg

I've got everything except the timber wolf brush. I can switch it for another brush and barely squeak by. We'll just have to see if the other programs distract too much for this to happen or if it needs to wait.

I can switch out a few things and still make it under 30. I might go that route just for variety.

With 3 razors, 2 brushes, 1 scuttle, and 131 blades, 2 tubes of cream, Witch Hazel, alum, I have enough to make it through October without buying anything--unless some 'uncontrolled' urge arises.

Great plan @BubblesUK but October is a hard contested month with Tabactober and OCtober and potentially @JAHE SOCtober running in parallel…

So I’m game for 2022 AFFCC but for me October belongs to Tabac :thumbsup:. This year in loving memory of the tallow formula.

+1

It is great idea but what about to change the date of this challenge ? Is there any residual challenge around February ?

+1

It is great idea but what about to change the date of this challenge ? Is there any residual challenge around February ?

Well we'll be doing the "no vintage" version again in April anyway...

The tough thing with February is that March follows and March is fixed four - so two inflexible months in a row which proved tough in April, adding a third month would be too much.

February itself is one-blade month (ie: one single blade) which is compatible with most things, this included.

To be honest, I'd much rather do it in October (or November), personally, so I was going to leave it October for the moment but if there's little interest then we'll see!!

Last edited:
I'll try.

That's the spirit!

It's surprisingly good fun, and good for technique too if you're a habitual changer like I am (I must have at least a couple of dozen razors at this point, most of them vintage, so I have plenty to tempt me!).

As far as upcoming events, I'm only aware of N.O.vember and Decemboar. I had the month of October dedicated to open-comb razors and SOC brushes, but I can adjust. I grab an open-comb whenever the mood strikes and I use an SOC at least twice a week so it's no big deal to change it up. I hadn't decided whether or not to go with Tabac for the month, but I do have a puck at the ready.

I enjoyed the AFFCC so much that I've already selected my setup for next April so I'm ready to go. I'll follow this thread and plan my October shaves accordingly.

EDIT: I may have found a way to still participate using an open-comb. I searched my stash for my most inexpensive OC razor and came across the Yaqi Mellon DOC. So... $15 razor, $4 blades, $2 soap, $8 brush, and $1 balm

Last edited:
It hit me a little bit ago. The local grocery store sells Barbasol 1919 for 3.98. I paid 2.69 for my Chinese Gillette tech. A tuck of 5 blades from DG. No need for a brush and with the 1919 you can realistically skip the aftershave. That's 8 bucks.

Go with a 1.50 can of Barbasol which I used for many years without aftershave and you're down to around 5.50---less than a tuck of King C. Gillette blades! Of course a few extra bucks on each item can give much better/comfortable results.

EDIT: I may have found a way to still participate using an open-comb. I searched my stash for my most inexpensive OC razor and came across the Yaqi Mellon DOC. So... $15 razor, $4 blades, $2 soap, $8 brush, and $1 balm

Not knowing what eBay's like where you are... In UK and US at least I would (thick cap) Old type in decent/straight condition could definitely be had within budget, wouldn't be surprised if the standard US-style New could be done as well (I know I've picked up News and Olds for under £5 before - heck the RFB I'm thinking of using only cost me £8.20 inc. postage 🤣).

Either way, would be great to have you on board again!!

My plans for this one involve a bit more making things to save a few quid, as it's allowed for this one!!
As I'm fortunate enough to own a wood lathe, I can potentially buy just a brush knot (I already have some I bought for £4 each a couple of years ago) and make the handle, I can buy a puck of soap and make a pot to put it in, etc (I have wood from a tree we cut down a couple of years ago so that's free 🤣) - a bit more scope in this one!

☝ Thanks. I have several vintage OC razors (Gillette Goodwills, Old Types, NEW LCs, NEW SCs, and a New Deluxe) but I bought them a few years ago and have no idea what I paid for any of them.

Last edited:
☝ Thanks. I have several vintage OC razors (Gillette Goodwills, Old Types, NEW LCs, NEW SCs, and a New Deluxe) but I bought them a few years ago and have no idea what I paid for any of them.

Could always scan eBay completed listings, BST etc and see what people have sold ones in similar condition for and just note down an appropriate price - if it can be bought for that then it's fair game IMHO.

Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom