What's new

Leave this tiny spot/pit of rust or try to remove it?

Hi guys. Let me start by saying I sense I'm totally over my head in this forum of experts, but this seemed the best place to post. The photo is of a Merkur 41C. I bought it used, and it's in really good shape except for this tiny rust spot. (The brownish granular rust-looking stuff around the center post is just the play of light. The only issue is that tiny spot in the rather poorly drawn red circle.) I worked it pretty good with hot water, Dawn Ultra and a toothbrush but no luck. I did read the "Non-abrasvie rust removal recommendations" post here in the forum and the excellent responses. It seems to me DrStrange's aluminum foil and white vinegar suggestion How to Clean Rust - https://www.ellaclaireinspired.com/clean-rust-removal/ might be best to try, especially since I have both. The other "solution" I think might be to do nothing. The aluminum foil might scratch the surrounding area, and it hardly seems like that rust spot is in any hurry to spread.
merkur41c.jpg

Hi guys. Let me start by saying I sense I'm totally over my head in this forum of experts, but this seemed the best place to post. The photo is of a Merkur 41C. I bought it used, and it's in really good shape except for this tiny rust spot. (The brownish granular rust-looking stuff around the center post is just the play of light. The only issue is that tiny spot in the rather poorly drawn red circle.) I worked it pretty good with hot water, Dawn Ultra and a toothbrush but no luck. I did read the "Non-abrasvie rust removal recommendations" post here in the forum and the excellent responses. It seems to me DrStrange's aluminum foil and white vinegar suggestion How to Clean Rust - https://www.ellaclaireinspired.com/clean-rust-removal/ might be best to try, especially since I have both. The other "solution" I think might be to do nothing. The aluminum foil might scratch the surrounding area, and it hardly seems like that rust spot is in any hurry to spread.
View attachment 1316251

You should at the very least stop the active rust.
The worse it gets the harder to remedy.
Start with something light like steel wool and WD or other light oil/ rust inhibitor and work backwards to something more coarse if it is taking too long. Finish with at least fine steel wool or higher grit W/D paper.

I think Merkur heads are plated Zamak, so you probably have a pinhole in the plating that allowed oxidation. I don't think it's rust though, not iron oxide rust anyway. So I don't know how effective rust-removal efforts geared for steel/iron/etc are going to be.
I don't think I'd bother trying to get rid of it, I think a new top cap costs about 10 bucks. If I was obsessing over it, I might try to put a dot of clear nail polish on it to seal it off. Maybe. But, honestly, I'd probably toss it and get a new one.

Legion

Staff member
I'd soak it for half an hour in white vinegar then try to buff it off with a pencil eraser. If that didn't work I would leave it and try to not worry about it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think Merkur heads are plated Zamak, so you probably have a pinhole in the plating that allowed oxidation. I don't think it's rust though, not iron oxide rust anyway. So I don't know how effective rust-removal efforts geared for steel/iron/etc are going to be.
I don't think I'd bother trying to get rid of it, I think a new top cap costs about 10 bucks. If I was obsessing over it, I might try to put a dot of clear nail polish on it to seal it off. Maybe. But, honestly, I'd probably toss it and get a new one.
I'm thinking nail polish as needed. If you keep it dry between uses it might last 100 years. Or 100 days. Zamak has its limits, unfortunately.

You should at the very least stop the active rust.
The worse it gets the harder to remedy.
Start with something light like steel wool and WD or other light oil/ rust inhibitor and work backwards to something more coarse if it is taking too long. Finish with at least fine steel wool or higher grit W/D paper.
Thanks. WD is WD40? I have that and mineral oil and Grade #3 steel wool. Think those things would work?

Thanks. I'm not obsessing over it. My first inclination is to leave it. Especially if it's not rust. I can watch it to see if it spreads. If it does, then I can do something about it. Regarding the new top cap for about $10, where would I get something like that? Happen to have a link?

Zamak eats itself from within, sometimes.
Think of it as an alloy mixture with contaminates trapped within. They can surface immediately or after many years, "bubbling up" to the top.
Some will look beautiful forever, some fail miserably and quickly.

Top Bottom