What's new

Williams Mug Shaving Soap

Some one mentioned to use it like a shave stick. I spitballing here, wet face wet puck and go? If you can heip me come on with it. Thanks ya'll.

Some one mentioned to use it like a shave stick. I spitballing here, wet face wet puck and go? If you can heip me come on with it. Thanks ya'll.

Disclaimer: I'm a bowl or mug latherer, not a face latherer.

That said, the general idea is to use it the same way you would a sick of Tabac or Palmolive. Wet your face thoroughly, pick up the puck of WMS and rub the edge (easier to hold it that way) on your face as if it were a stick. Then use your brush to build the lather on your face.

Disclaimer: I'm a bowl or mug latherer, not a face latherer.

That said, the general idea is to use it the same way you would a sick of Tabac or Palmolive. Wet your face thoroughly, pick up the puck of WMS and rub the edge (easier to hold it that way) on your face as if it were a stick. Then use your brush to build the lather on your face.
thanks lancer, I'll give it a shot.

Others use a cheese grater and pack the shredded soap into a twist up canister to make it more stick-like. I think this would work well. I shredded my first puck into a tub container and found it lathered more quickly and easily.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I know some folks have trouble with Williams and I believe them. I don't think they are doing anything "wrong".
I also know some folks like Williams and believe they are getting the good lather I am.
I don't think we are doing anything "special". I'm certainly not.
Maybe it's an odd coincidence or possible combination of water chemistry, temperature, brush characteristics, who knows what else.
There must be a reason some can just grab it and go and others can fiddle to exhaustion and not get good results.
I'll be darned if I know why though.

^My exact thoughts regarding MWF

I remember trying Williams over ten years ago and getting poor results. Recently, I saw it on sale for 99 cents and said, what have I got to lose? I put the puck in a green rubber Marvy mug and primed it with hot water while I showered. When I was ready to shave, I poured out the excess water then used my trusty Omega brush to whip up a really good lather very quickly. Three excellent passes with my Merkur, followed by Parker alum block--a smooth, refreshing, perfect shave! Wow--and only 99 cents! I'm so glad that I gave this soap another chance.

After experimenting with Williams a few more times, it turns out my inital success with greating good lather might have been beginner's luck.

I have no problem creating lather with it that is thick and dense, but the slickness just isn't there. If I add more water, in an attempt to improve slickness and also intentionally make it thinner and more runny, then the lather will either dry out on my face (does exactly what the package says it wont do) or it quickly vainshes/dissipates. And by quickly I mean like 20-30 seconds. I can literally watch it vanish.

So for me, there is this sweet spot where the lather is thick and dense and slick, and I've only been able to achive that once. I think I was just lucky and it happend for me on my first try.

Using the same routine, so far I have been unable replicate my initial success. I'm typically adding about 5 drops of water at a time, and apparently going from under hydrated to way over hydrated without realizing it before its too late. Maybe lack of experience or maybe I just suck at making good lather in general.

If you have any suggestions by all means I'm willing to dedicate a few more shaves to try it...
Try loading for 20 seconds longer and see what changes.

My lathers from Williams never dissipate.

(Sent from mobile)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Try loading for 20 seconds longer and see what changes.

My lathers from Williams never dissipate.

(Sent from mobile)
There is something special about using an old soap like Williams and getting it right isn’t there? Experiencing something our great great grandfathers did is cool. Many got up on Sunday mornings and shaved off a weeks growth with a straight razor with an edge none of us would likely even consider “shave ready”.

There is something special about using an old soap like Williams and getting it right isn’t there? Experiencing something our great great grandfathers did is cool. Many got up on Sunday mornings and shaved off a weeks growth with a straight razor with an edge none of us would likely even consider “shave ready”.
Exactly. My grandfather (the one who lived long enough for me to get to know) was a dapper gadget hound who went to electric razors as soon as they appeared. But even he must have used Williams in the very old days. The other one must have, too. I always have it on hand to remind me of that history, and that it isn't always about finding the ultimate in luxury.

Top Bottom