What's new

BIC Chrome Platinum - Amazing Blades

Just curious about these and the seeming variability.

For those who have tried them and have experience:
- Did you see variability within the same batch/order, or…
- Do you see variability/differences from separate batches/orders?

I have decided to only order from reputable shaving supply stores or _Bay sellers with great feedback and long years of service (and then backed up from recommendations online).

I just can’t order from The S. America Big River (SABR) site anymore, as they do not vet their sellers and there’s too much counterfeit/seconds selling going on.

At least the Bay sellers are held to some accountability through feedback scores… and will lose their business if selling subpar merchandise.

But that’s just me… YMMV 🙂

I am curious as to the variability being within a batch/order, or with different batches/orders.

I have not seen variability with the BIC Chrome Platinums. They have been consistently good and long-lasting for me. I have only bought them online from actual shaving shops such as Gifts&Care when they were on sale. They may be slightly more expensive than Ebay but you can be pretty sure the blades are genuine and good quality. $15/100 is pretty reasonable considering how long blades last.

You will notice that user reports on these blades tend to be either love-it-or-hate it. Some users complain the blades are all tuggy, dull and unusable. Other users say the blades are great, one of their favorites, etc.

The Refined Shave website has done some tests that attempt to be objective using measuring equipment and consistent procedures. They found the BIC Chrome to be one of the sharpest blades they have tested. I thought that was pretty interesting.

I've had a handful of bad blades in the 6 years I've been using them. That's more than other blades but not a big deal. I buy 100 when I'm in SE Asia where they're super cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

It seems hit or miss. I tried them in the R41 and it wasn't pretty. I tried in a milder razor and they were quite good.

Reactions: saj
It seems hit or miss. I tried them in the R41 and it wasn't pretty. I tried in a milder razor and they were quite good.
it seems interesting, some have no issues with the BICs but some find them to be a bit hit and miss like yourself,
wonder why that is? reminds me a bit of voskhods not saying theyre as sharp, smooth or as good but just as an example

it seems interesting, some have no issues with the BICs but some find them to be a bit hit and miss like yourself,
wonder why that is? reminds me a bit of voskhods not saying theyre as sharp, smooth or as good but just as an example
Blades are all sharp, it's mostly costings that determine how the blade interacts with skin and stubble and determines what we usually call smoothness. No idea though why everyone doesn't love them. Send unloved ones to my address.

Blades are all sharp, it's mostly costings that determine how the blade interacts with skin and stubble and determines what we usually call smoothness. No idea though why everyone doesn't love them. Send unloved ones to my address.

It is quite amazing that something taken for granted, ie I take my razor and shave my face, is conditional upon so many variables. My theory is that minute changes in geometry, coatings, rigidity and who knows what else come into play. As you said, blades are all sharp but the results vary.

One should not forget the subjective factor. I, for one, if I am asked what pressure I use or what angle, I couldn't answer. It's in auto pilot :biggrin1:

It would be interesting to do a blind test. Say someone loads a blade for you and you shave. It could be your favorite or your worse. Could we tell the difference?

I used a Bic Chrome Platinum today in my Mamba 70. I'm impressed!

When I initially tried these blades in my starter (junk) razor with my entry-level technique, they were the second worst in the sampler. Derby Extra took #1 worst.

Today's shave felt like it was going to be a repeat. I didn't feel the blade cutting through my hair, and on the first pass (WTG), there was more leftover whiskers than I was happy with.

Passes 2 and 3 were XTG from different directions. Still barely any feedback, but WOW did it clean me up! This may have been my nicest shave yet! DFS with only the tiniest nick.

I'll report back on how they work after multiple shaves, but they're at least a great 1-shave blade :D

...This may have been my nicest shave yet! DFS with only the tiniest nick.

I'll report back on how they work after multiple shaves, but they're at least a great 1-shave blade :D
They will usually become sharper after the first shave! They also last longer than average.

When I initially tried these blades in my starter (junk) razor with my entry-level technique, they were the second worst in the sampler. Derby Extra took #1 worst.

Today's shave felt like it was going to be a repeat. I didn't feel the blade cutting through my hair, and on the first pass (WTG), there was more leftover whiskers than I was happy with.

Passes 2 and 3 were XTG from different directions. Still barely any feedback, but WOW did it clean me up! This may have been my nicest shave yet! DFS with only the tiniest nick.

Only used a few Bic chrome platinum blades but they always perform regardless to which razor I use 👍

Reactions: Anu
They will usually become sharper after the first shave! They also last longer than average.

I’m trying the Chrome Platinums.
Today is day two. I have had two terrific shaves in two days.
My experience matches your account.
Today’s blade was noticeably sharper.
Even so, it was a clean, close, and comfortable shave. No irritation.
I find them quite similar to the Personna Reds that I have enjoyed.
This week I’m shaving with a Gillette New SC. A good razor to try these blades with. The Fat Handle Tech will be called up next week.
A good start.

Had a great shave with a Bic Chrome in my Rockwell 6S using the #2 plate. The shave took a while but recently it has been one of the only zero irritation shaves I’ve managed.

Bic chrome update: As I wrote before, the combination with the R41 did not work for me. Pretty harsh and inefficient.

Today I tried them with the Fatip open comb. I am impressed.... I don't know if it is the razor clamping the blade better, but the only thing I could hear (I didn't feel anything) was the velcro sound of cutting. Overall if someone told me that there is a feather blade in there I would believe them.

These are some seriously good blades, at least for this razor on my face. I am proud that such a product comes from poor little Greece :biggrin1:

I've shaved twice with the same Bic blade in a fat boy and I got very good results. I had 4-5 days beard growth on the first shave, and less than a day until the second shave. I'll go for the third shave later today with a couple days' beard growth.

They're good but not good as GSB or nacet imo. They feel smooth, but are a bit sharper for sure. not sure if its my technique, Just my first shave with it, it didn't remove all my stubble like a GSB or nacet But close enough. Less iritation, but more likely to nick urself especially on the neck area. Not sure how I feel. I'll update my next 3 shaves. For now GSB/nacet is slightly better, as they are less sharper but more smoother and remove all my stubble better than the BIC chrome plats.

Having stumbled upon this thread a few weeks before Christmas, I decided to dig out my sample tuck from 2010 and give one a go. I had a perfectly acceptable shave, no tugging, smooth and uneventful. I decided to order a couple more tucks to add into my rotation.
I still have a couple of blades in to old tuck and have therefore not tried the new ones, but I do notice that the pack is a deeper orange colour rather than the yellow of the old one and where the old tuck has "made in France" the new one has "made in Greece". Anyone know when that changed and if there has been a performance change ?

Having stumbled upon this thread a few weeks before Christmas, I decided to dig out my sample tuck from 2010 and give one a go. I had a perfectly acceptable shave, no tugging, smooth and uneventful. I decided to order a couple more tucks to add into my rotation.
I still have a couple of blades in to old tuck and have therefore not tried the new ones, but I do notice that the pack is a deeper orange colour rather than the yellow of the old one and where the old tuck has "made in France" the new one has "made in Greece". Anyone know when that changed and if there has been a performance change ?
Correction, on closer inspection it says "France" not made in France. The old tuck does not mention where it was made.

tried again.Unfortuantely these blades, work only ok on me. I tried shaving my leg for a test run, they remove the hair so easily like butter, but they don't get as close if ur shaving just 1-2 day stubble. But i bled in like 3 areas on my legs, with GSB i bled only once, and with derby preminum i didnt bleed at all. They're one of the sharpest for sure, and they're able to remove 2 inch hairs like its nothing. But for some reason they dont cut as close on shorter stubble, cmpared to GSB nacets or derby preminum, but amazing for longer beard growth like 2+ week. They're abit to sharp for me. I think GSB/nacet is my limit. Feather/bic to sharp for me. I think a milder razor helps tame them, i feel they're better in my superspeed, than lord l6 and muhle r41. They're abit harsh in agressive razors. IF you want a feather clone they're a great alternative.

Top Bottom