What's new

Help for choosing my dream brush

Hello,

I hope you’re doing well !

I need your help crafting my dream brush :)

Here’s my story : The road to the perfect shave for a very sensitive skin : An ongoing odyssey - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-road-to-the-perfect-shave-for-a-very-sensitive-skin-an-ongoing-odyssey.610193/

For the material of the handle : I’m looking for something beautiful and I like black so I was thinking of bog oak (I love the design of my Feather WS-D2S)

For the shape of the handle, I need your help :
- I bowl and face lather
- I just ordered a Pereira shaving bowl
- I have long hands/fingers
- The M7 handle from Simpsons is inconfortable for me because too skinny
- I like the chubby 2 handle because wider : I pinch it with 3 fingers and the base of the handle rest in the top of the palm of my hand, allowing a good and stable grip
- I find it difficult to bowl lather with the chubby 2 only if using a small bowl
- I think I would prefer the Chubby 3 handle, but they don’t make it with platinum fiber, only sovereign that is less soft
- I think I now prefer more backbone than not enough, specially when bowl lathering (Chubby 2 > M7 (Simpsons Synthetic))

For the bristle :
- What would be the best/softest tips in your opinion ?
- Having sensitive skin, I only face lather with synthetic
- Should I consider something else than synthetic ?
- I haven’t tried anything else than the platinum synthetic from Simpsons (Chubby 2 & M7), and a silvertip parker without backbone

Thank you !

A

P.S : I sent this to Rudy Vey

I would suggest looking at the Saponificio Varesino HMW brush. They offer Bog Oak and Ebony (I have the Ebony). I think it would check most all of your boxes.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I was just going to say, it sounds like a custom brush, built how you like with the colours you like seems like the way to go, he has told me in the past he even has access to Muhle stf (synthetic) knots, or he could make just a handle and you could purchase your prefered knot (Rudy won't ship badger to Canada). Let us know what decision you take and how it goes! But you are in good hands, Rudy is awesome to work with.

Interesting- I have large hands with long fingers and the Chubby 2 and 3 handles are not comfortable. I was going to recommend a Polo style handle for you, or a retro barber style handle - the last coming in at least 3 different general length categories.

Haven’t tried Simpson platinum, but I love many soft synthetics, even floppy ones - Plisson, Tuxedo, Cashmere. Don’t know why you need backbone for bowl lathering, other just you like the feeling / feedback. No HMW will match the soft tips of the synthetics I listed above.

Maybe consider a longer handle in this general style. This gives the brush enough reach for bowl lathering, but it is still not too tall when face lathering.
1629574740677.png

Yes, the above is one of my favourite handles. I consider it, maybe mistakenly, retro barber style “short” handle 😊

Stick with synthetic. The softest brush with good backbone I've tried is the AP shave Co G5A (same hair as the Muhle STF only much more dense). A bit pricey (for a synthetic), but it's the most advanced fiber material currently available. They're incredible. Multiple sizes and handles to choose from.

Custom is probably the way to go but Neil from Heritage Collection Shaving is having a sale right now through his Instagram account. Look on his website to see what’s available then message him on INstagram if you have it. He has a few different styles. Not the absolute cheapest option but maybe you’re into them? He has a selection of synth knots to go with including the BASF/G5. Some examples albeit with badger knots

D9939AF8-1DCD-4ACA-9BD4-0C674875FDD2.jpeg7012B26E-12D4-4E2A-8681-2B85EFEE4CB5.jpeg13607E67-6081-4B0B-ACC8-A6DADF66564D.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hello,

I hope you’re doing well !

I need your help crafting my dream brush :)

Here’s my story : The road to the perfect shave for a very sensitive skin : An ongoing odyssey - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-road-to-the-perfect-shave-for-a-very-sensitive-skin-an-ongoing-odyssey.610193/

For the material of the handle : I’m looking for something beautiful and I like black so I was thinking of bog oak (I love the design of my Feather WS-D2S)

For the shape of the handle, I need your help :
- I bowl and face lather
- I just ordered a Pereira shaving bowl
- I have long hands/fingers
- The M7 handle from Simpsons is inconfortable for me because too skinny
- I like the chubby 2 handle because wider : I pinch it with 3 fingers and the base of the handle rest in the top of the palm of my hand, allowing a good and stable grip
- I find it difficult to bowl lather with the chubby 2 only if using a small bowl
- I think I would prefer the Chubby 3 handle, but they don’t make it with platinum fiber, only sovereign that is less soft
- I think I now prefer more backbone than not enough, specially when bowl lathering (Chubby 2 > M7 (Simpsons Synthetic))

For the bristle :
- What would be the best/softest tips in your opinion ?
- Having sensitive skin, I only face lather with synthetic
- Should I consider something else than synthetic ?
- I haven’t tried anything else than the platinum synthetic from Simpsons (Chubby 2 & M7), and a silvertip parker without backbone

Thank you !

A

P.S : I sent this to Rudy Vey
Excellent questions, my friend. Well done in asking @Rudy Vey about this.

I would suggest looking at the Saponificio Varesino HMW brush. They offer Bog Oak and Ebony (I have the Ebony). I think it would check most all of your boxes.
I've this brush and feel the luxury every time I use it. Super soft but enough backbone for those someone that aspect.. no hair loss either. Worth every penny.

Thank you for all your nice answers and comments !

I had to be away from internet and I didn’t expect all this help :)

After reading your posts, and talking to Rudy, here’s what I ordered from him :
  • As3m handle in bog oak
    • Height ~70 mm
  • G5A SHD Premium Synthetic Knot (28 mm) from AP Shave Co
Thank you for helping me !

I’ll share picture as soon as I received them from @Rudy Vey.

A.

Congratulations. You can’t go wrong with a brush made by Rudy. My preferences are different than yours. I prefer badger and smaller knots, he recently made this brush for me.
CE44FFC0-E001-441E-906D-F020FF03FB1D.jpeg

Hello !

Here's the great work of Rudy yet again :)

1631619218988.png

Quick question for those who know the G5A SHD Premium Synthetic Knot : Should the knot be a little higher than 51/52 mm loft ? (I'll mainly bowl lather)

Spec :
Overall height : 121 mm
Height of the handle : 69 mm
Height of the hair : 52 mm
Weight : 92 gr (3.25 oz)
Loft : 51-52 mm
Knot diameter : 30 mm (hole drilled with a 30 mm bit)

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hello !

Here's the great work of Rudy yet again :)

View attachment 1327877

Quick question for those who know the G5A SHD Premium Synthetic Knot : Should the knot be a little higher than 51/52 mm loft ? (I'll mainly bowl lather)

Spec :
Overall height : 121 mm
Height of the handle : 69 mm
Height of the hair : 52 mm
Weight : 92 gr (3.25 oz)
Loft : 51-52 mm
Knot diameter : 30 mm (hole drilled with a 30 mm bit)
Rudy can give you the optimal height based on your preferences and limitations of the knot. He knows his craft very well.

Top Bottom