What's new

Guess what the highest rated shave soap on Amazon is? Go ahead. Guess.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I'm LMAO right now. I am sure many folks here won't see the average Amazon rating as anything definitive, and I'm not saying it is, BUT ... the top dawg is (drum roll, please)

Williams.JPG

Followed quickly by

AOS.JPG

And right on their heels ...

ARKO.JPG

The reason I find this so funny is that when I joined the forum here about ten years ago, I was switching from the multi-bladed monstrosities to traditional DE safety razors. But I had been using Williams in a mug with a brush since I started shaving in high school in the 1970's. When I joined here and folks learned I was using Williams shave soap, many were not just horrified, but almost sounded offended. :D

A few years later after I was shamed out of my Williams in favor of 'better' soaps and creams, lo and behold, there springs up a Williams shave soap brotherhood. lol. And they were doing what I had learned to do and did pretty much all through my ten years in the Air Force, which was to drop the soap in a mug, drop a cheap brush on top of that, fill it with water and let it soak while I showered. In fact, when I started using the multi-blade cartridges I just shaved in the shower. I got awesome slick lather. I never knew I was doing it wrong until I showed up here!

I just ordered a 3-pack of Williams to get reacquainted with it because I have not used it in ten years, but the love around here for it makes me chuckle more than a little bit. I had one of their 1976 Centennial pewter shaving mugs I got in college with the top off a Williams box and something less than $5, IIRC, but I lost it in one of my many Air Force moves. Just on a lark, because I suspect I'll enjoy the Williams when it arrives, I found one of those old mugs on the 'bay, and it's on its way, as well.

My original shaving kit consisted of the Schick Adjustable injector razor (numbered dial), an Ever Ready shave brush I got at the local drug store, Williams shave soap, and an old coffee mug. My granddad taught me how to shave, my father was an electric razor guy his whole life. Eventually I went the Barbasol, then Gillette Foamy way for a bit, finally discovering Pinaud's canned shave cream when I discoverd Clubman A/S and used that through college. I went from the Schick injector to the Gillette Trac II when it first came out, and then down the slippery slope of all their subsequent cartridges. But when I joined the Air Force, I had some neck irritation and decided to go back to the Williams and used it for decades until I joined B&B and was told it was double-plus uncool.

proxy.php

Once I joined here I started with the EJ DE89 (several) and went through a bunch of vintage razors, finally settling on the Merkur 34C HD for the last 5 years or so. But I decided to try Williams again, and also grabbed an old Schick adjustable off the 'bay just for fun. Figured I'll revisit my roots. When I get my Williams and pewter mug, I'll grab an old brush I've been meaning to restore and have a "John's Hih School Shave" thread.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Williams has slickness, is not prohibitively expensive, and has a gallery of enthusiasts that preferred its older formulae better. It’s like when recording artists change format slightly and the stalwarts go bonkers with anger and newcomers are dancing in the streets with joy - only it’s just soap to remove ucky whiskers.

Williams is the slickest soap I've ever used. Great shaves. Should pick up another puck as mine was commandeered.

Your face, your shave, your way. One of my favorite shaves is with Arko and Lilac Vegetal, but online on this forum those are the nastiest smelling products on the face of the universe. To each their own.

I do not put much faith in Amazon reviews when it comes to shaving. The best selling soap is Williams. The best selling blades are Astra SP.

If I were to rate those products, Williams (the current version) would get 2 stars at best. I have only used 6 soaps (out of over 200) that perform worse. Vintage Williams may have been better. Astra SP might get 3 stars. I can use them, but do not enjoy the experience.

I was intrigued by the William's mug soap but getting it here was cost prohibitive.

Something like $12 per soap, so some of the fellow members sent me Arko and William's mug soap for me to try.

I absolutely loved both of them and among the Artisan soaps, Old Spice creams and now reformulated Tabac, the William's soap holds it's own strongly.

I like it's no nonsense performance and it's scentless - ness is calming on days when my mood is too messed up to decide which soap to use.

Also the lather from William's mug soap is great for shaving with my Feather Kamisori razor as well.

Imo Arko, William's, Mitchell's and Tabac should be a staple in most of the wet shavers as they almost guarantee a great lather and a good scent experience as well.

Williams is super slick and cheap. I just like something with more of a scent to it. I would never base my purchases off Amazon reviews, especially something as niche as wet shaving. How many people buy a tube or Proraso and then complain they can get it to lather? I guess that’s why we come here to talk to others who know how to wet shave.

Well... Williams (1840), Proraso (1908), and Arko (1957) have been around for approx a week over forever. Amazon was founded in 1994. I'm sure the field was much smaller in the early 90's. There's more sales the longer your on Amazon. I bet these three soaps have been there for most of Amazon's time. I know Stirling soaps, for example, wasn't on Amazon in 1994... I believe Rod was in high school at the time (maybe... I'm guessing at his age).

Additionally, you have cost. More will try a $3 soap over a $23 soap... Especially if their just testing the waters. Arko and Williams absolutely win the price game. Fwiw, their performance is amazing considering the low low cost.

Finally, it's Amazon... Not Pasteur's. If we could delve into some numbers I'd imagine the % of shoppers for soap on Amazon who consider themselves a shaving enthusiast would be in the single digits, at best. Aka, consider the source. [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I can use them, but do not enjoy the experience.

Your skin’s comfort requirements are different. And I find reading your recommendations and preferences very beneficial to my enjoyment of this hobby whether it’s something I may selfishly steal for better grooming experiences or simply reading how you’re making day that much more comfortable and luxurious.

Interesting for sure. I would definitely put Arko in the top spot over these listed. With such a broad group ordering form Amazon, I also wonder where Barbasol foam or Gillette gels rank in comparison?

I'm LMAO right now. I am sure many folks here won't see the average Amazon rating as anything definitive, and I'm not saying it is, BUT ... the top dawg is (drum roll, please)

View attachment 1312187

Followed quickly by

View attachment 1312188

And right on their heels ...

View attachment 1312189

The reason I find this so funny is that when I joined the forum here about ten years ago, I was switching from the multi-bladed monstrosities to traditional DE safety razors. But I had been using Williams in a mug with a brush since I started shaving in high school in the 1970's. When I joined here and folks learned I was using Williams shave soap, many were not just horrified, but almost sounded offended. :D

A few years later after I was shamed out of my Williams in favor of 'better' soaps and creams, lo and behold, there springs up a Williams shave soap brotherhood. lol. And they were doing what I had learned to do and did pretty much all through my ten years in the Air Force, which was to drop the soap in a mug, drop a cheap brush on top of that, fill it with water and let it soak while I showered. In fact, when I started using the multi-blade cartridges I just shaved in the shower. I got awesome slick lather. I never knew I was doing it wrong until I showed up here!

I just ordered a 3-pack of Williams to get reacquainted with it because I have not used it in ten years, but the love around here for it makes me chuckle more than a little bit. I had one of their 1976 Centennial pewter shaving mugs I got in college with the top off a Williams box and something less than $5, IIRC, but I lost it in one of my many Air Force moves. Just on a lark, because I suspect I'll enjoy the Williams when it arrives, I found one of those old mugs on the 'bay, and it's on its way, as well.

My original shaving kit consisted of the Schick Adjustable injector razor (numbered dial), an Ever Ready shave brush I got at the local drug store, Williams shave soap, and an old coffee mug. My granddad taught me how to shave, my father was an electric razor guy his whole life. Eventually I went the Barbasol, then Gillette Foamy way for a bit, finally discovering Pinaud's canned shave cream when I discoverd Clubman A/S and used that through college. I went from the Schick injector to the Gillette Trac II when it first came out, and then down the slippery slope of all their subsequent cartridges. But when I joined the Air Force, I had some neck irritation and decided to go back to the Williams and used it for decades until I joined B&B and was told it was double-plus uncool.

proxy.php

Once I joined here I started with the EJ DE89 (several) and went through a bunch of vintage razors, finally settling on the Merkur 34C HD for the last 5 years or so. But I decided to try Williams again, and also grabbed an old Schick adjustable off the 'bay just for fun. Figured I'll revisit my roots. When I get my Williams and pewter mug, I'll grab an old brush I've been meaning to restore and have a "John's Hih School Shave" thread.

Great data!! Some products hold their own, especially at a very fair price point!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Amazon reviews? The same place were you see a ton of reviews that say "FIVE STARS! My husband just ordered this and he can't wait to use it!" That Amazon?

Not saying a lot of people don't find Williams a good shaving soap, but a lot don't and Amazon reviews are just not something you should rely on for any product.

I like Williams, since it just works. Yes, it is cheap, and I can buy it at the local drugstore. However, it makes a nice slick lather and smells similar to Ivory soap to me.

I do use more expensive shaving soaps that have stronger and more interesting aromas. However, sometimes the ordinary and inexpensive Williams just does the job.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom