What's new

Modern razor with vintage tech performance

Hello all.

Can anybody reccomend a modern razor that performs as welll as a vintage gillette tech, money no object? I have heard that techs are mild but very efficient.

I would buy the Baili until you can find a NOS Tech, which is not hard. I use this more than my vintage Techs. Or you can through money at a Feather stainless but I wouldn't.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Hello all.

Can anybody reccomend a modern razor that performs as welll as a vintage gillette tech, money no object? I have heard that techs are mild but very efficient.
Just a note, it doesnt have to be a tech replica, just a modern razor that performs like one

Unfortunately that opens the flood gates to dozens of razors whose performance and value you have no way of judging from one reporters' "I like the Mamba 70" opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Thats cool, im open to all suggestions. Does the baili that you posted perform better than the other baili tech replica? I had the one with the different handle and it was poor. Bad shave with poor blade alignment

Thats cool, im open to all suggestions. Does the baili that you posted perform better than the other baili tech replica? I had the one with the different handle and it was poor. Bad shave with poor blade alignment
Mine is great, I can't speak to QC. My recommendation would be to buy a Tech if you want Tech performance. $30 or $40 for NOS. Less if you have access to dish soap :) .

proxy.php

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If money’s no object, I second the recommendation of @jeffmudrick to buy a Gillette Tech. If you have access to sellers of British-based goods, a Gillette Hybrid Tech is said to be the smoothest of the smooth. If your budget and google-fu is more modest, a nice post-war tech can be bought at a certain auction site for $17-25 shipped to USA residences (not that I spent over two hours looking at such things last night…).

If money’s no object because your budget has no money, I’m told the Lord L5 is very Tech-like and the Lord L6 is a very affordable clone of the DE89/R89 design

And the can is opened :) There are several Tech variants, I wouldn't call any of them very efficent. Modern razors similar to Tech range from dirt cheap Chinese offerings to Wolfman.

+1! Yes indeed! The Tech (in its many incarnations) is a GREAT DESIGN IMHO! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Any reason you don't want to get a vintage Tech? If you want a razor that shaves like a Tech, I would just get a Tech. They are easy and cheap to come by. Not sure what modern razor would closely resemble a shave with a Tech, but the Feather AS-D2 I would image to be close.

Some modern razors I have that are mild yet efficient are:

EJ 3one6
Henson Ti 22 medium
Muhle Rocca
Yates M-921
Timeless .68
ATT Windsor (M or R plate)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It’s been a long time since I’ve used one, but I remember my Edwin Jagger DE89 feeling much the same as a Tech.

I am a HUGE fan of mild razors and, now that I own a Ball End Tech (finally!), I can confirm that the 89 head is very, very similar for mildness and quality of shave. Hence, Edwin Jagger DE89, Mühle R89 and Gillette Heritage Inspired are what I suggest.

RR Mamba 70 is definitely the way to go, if you are looking for a razor that would perform like Tech and has a cutting angle like a Tech.

Top Bottom