What's new

Looking for tips on moving to badger from synthetic

Hey guys,

Hoping you could help me with a problem I encountered using a new badger brush (Grizzly Bay V11).
While being accustomed to my AP shave brush and bowl lathering results, I can get no where near while using this SHD badger knot.
It seems like its eating all my lather and not releasing it from the knot. Is this normal? I'm used that my captain choice bowl lather is getting full with shiny lather and now there is nothing in the bowl and a little in the knot.

Probably doing something wrong but I cant put my finger on what. Maybe there is some ritual before using a new badger?

Thanks for listening!

It seems like its eating all my lather and not releasing it from the knot. Is this normal?

Yes, totally normal. Badger brushes consume more fuel than synthetics, particularly big and dense badger knots. First you need to fill the knot with lather, then it will release the excess to your bowl/face. Try loading a lot longer than you do with your synthetic brush and I am sure you will see improved results.

For example, I can get 3 passes with a 10 seconds load using a Muhle STF synthetic, while the same 10 seconds load with my Chubby 1 badger will get me nothing but frustration.

In addition, experiment and calibrate the amount of water you use. I like to load my badger brushes with a little water in it, otherwise I feel that they do not "activate" and the load is suboptimal. My Muhle STF can be loaded with nearly all the water shaken off.

So I'm guessing that is my first mistake, I tried to load a little bit more than synthetic, didnt know the difference will be so huge.
I'll try to load heavily tomorrow and update on the results. At least it will be easier to 3017 my soaps :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't know your brush, and there is no single "badger" experience with the wide range of sizes, backbones and hair quality available. But I totally agree that the amount of water left in the brush can make a huge difference in how it loads. Too little and you will be loading all day, too much and you'll make a mess on the puck as the brush quickly switches between loading and building. Experiment a little.

If you have a lather eating badger (only one of mine does), remember that you can gently pull the brush between your thumb and index finger to "unload" it. You will end up with lather all over the top of your hand, but you can pick it up with the brush for use.

I always let my badger soak in a small cup of warm water while i shower. The water shouldn't cover the handle- rather all the way up the entire loft of the knot. The idea is to get water to soak deep in the knot. The hairs themselves don't soak much water but i prefer the inside of the knot to be fairly wet and the outside and tips to be just damp. When you're ready to load the brush remove it from the water and just a light squeeze of the tips is all you need and invert it upright to let gravity keep water inside the knot. If the tips are picking up chunks of soap then its much too dry. It will start to build up lather over the puck initially due to the wetness but then its going to pick up nice soap and you know its just about ready.

Some knots hold on to soap more than others. This is generally not a desirable feature- if your brush eats up soap then you'll want to load extra heavy so it runs out of room to build up. My 2 band badgers tend to eat less soap- hence they are usually the more desirable knots- and knots that are densely packed. With denser knots and thicker hairs the lather moves freely in your bowl or on your face rather than getting sucked up inside the knot. You just have to find exactly what you like. Every one of my badgers behaves different.

I don't know your brush, and there is no single "badger" experience with the wide range of sizes, backbones and hair quality available. But I totally agree that the amount of water left in the brush can make a huge difference in how it loads. Too little and you will be loading all day, too much and you'll make a mess on the puck as the brush quickly switches between loading and building. Experiment a little.

If you have a lather eating badger (only one of mine does), remember that you can gently pull the brush between your thumb and index finger to "unload" it. You will end up with lather all over the top of your hand, but you can pick it up with the brush for use.

+1. Just as not all synthetics are alike - badgers differ too.

A lot of tips, thanks guys, never though about trying to soak it a bit.

Guessing it's a good idea to get another one that's smaller :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hey guys,

Hoping you could help me with a problem I encountered using a new badger brush (Grizzly Bay V11).
While being accustomed to my AP shave brush and bowl lathering results, I can get no where near while using this SHD badger knot.
It seems like its eating all my lather and not releasing it from the knot. Is this normal? I'm used that my captain choice bowl lather is getting full with shiny lather and now there is nothing in the bowl and a little in the knot.

Probably doing something wrong but I cant put my finger on what. Maybe there is some ritual before using a new badger?

Thanks for listening!
I'm kind of new to Badgers and have been using synthetics for some time(4yrs) with a Omega boar brush to change things up once in a while. I bowl lather almost exclusively and like this method.
The best badger I have found is 24mm 2 band or(Finest badger). I use a lot Yaqi brushes and the 2band are excellent lather generators, soft pillow like tips, nice scrubber with no scritch + excellent lather painters IMO. I also have a 26mm 2 band and it likes soap but has great badger charteristic's that folks really enjoy but for myself a 24 mm is really nice and is a nice sweet spot.
All my badgers were on different sales over the last 4 months or I might of never tried them, natural hair brushes have a different feel to the face than synthetics and a good broken in boar brush is right up there with the whole lot brushes available IMO.
I do enjoy synthetics a lot still and also the natural hair brushes are nice change ups.
Yaqi #1 badger brushes.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I always let my badger soak in a small cup of warm water while i shower. The water shouldn't cover the handle- rather all the way up the entire loft of the knot. The idea is to get water to soak deep in the knot. The hairs themselves don't soak much water but i prefer the inside of the knot to be fairly wet and the outside and tips to be just damp. When you're ready to load the brush remove it from the water and just a light squeeze of the tips is all you need and invert it upright to let gravity keep water inside the knot. If the tips are picking up chunks of soap then its much too dry. It will start to build up lather over the puck initially due to the wetness but then its going to pick up nice soap and you know its just about ready.

Some knots hold on to soap more than others. This is generally not a desirable feature- if your brush eats up soap then you'll want to load extra heavy so it runs out of room to build up. My 2 band badgers tend to eat less soap- hence they are usually the more desirable knots- and knots that are densely packed. With denser knots and thicker hairs the lather moves freely in your bowl or on your face rather than getting sucked up inside the knot. You just have to find exactly what you like. Every one of my badgers behaves different.
+1 for soaking the brush in a cup of warm water during the shower. Badger brushes are even nicer with that soak, since the badger hair retains the heat quite well.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

I've soap my badger today, and loading a hefty amount. Even though there was still a lot of lather inside the brush, there was enough for it to fill my whole face.
The feel of a synthetic is no where close to that amazing feeling of great lather on a badger.

I'm afraid I'll have to get another badger in order to rotate it, or so I've heard its important.
Waiting for my next shave already.

Synthetics are nothing like badger shaving brushes , also called artificial badger fiber these are used for religious reasons that forbids using a boar, those who have allergies to animal fur, opposing animal product or vegan. Synths can save your product for much longer.

Synthetics are nothing like badger shaving brushes , also called artificial badger fiber these are used for religious reasons that forbids using a boar, those who have allergies to animal fur, opposing animal product or vegan. Synths can save your product for much longer.
I often use synthetic brushes but not for any religious reasons or allergies, and I am not particularly opposed to cruelty to animals either - many animals would be cruel to us if they got the chance (and surely badgers are among those - they can be pretty punchy). I use these brushes because they lather very well for me, are low-maintenance and dry quickly, and many have good backbone and a pleasant, soft feel. I believe a good synthetic knot is an entirely satisfactory alternative to badger hair and they are quite convenient.

Nonetheless I enjoy my badger brushes very much too. They’re all good in different ways and it perhaps takes a little experimentation to learn the qualities that suit you best, and which badger knots will refine your experience. Do you like a stiffer, scrubbier brush? Softer or harder tips and face feel? Denser or less dense hairs? Fan or bulb shape? Bleached “gel” tips, to give a greater sense of lubrication? All that said, I don’t know why a standard (not the denser D01) Shavemac two-band silvertip fan shape wouldn’t please everyone well enough.

I would add that the most expensive badger knot is not necessarily going to be a better knot for your preferences.

Last edited:
Most likely you need MORE soap, ‘Load it like you hate it!’

Then, keep adding water a bit at a time until you get the lather you like. ‘More soap + more water!’

I know, it seems wasteful. This is very different from using a synthetic and it takes awhile to dial in how to get things working.

Just my $0.02!

Both my badgers are capable of eating at least twice the amount a synth or horse eats before releasing

otoh I prefer the badgers and horse for face lathering and the synths for bowl lathering.

and the badgers are good if you want to get rid of that sample a loooot quicker. Hmmmm though arko is resilient could be influence from the paa cubes borg attitude of resistance is futile prepare to be assimilated…

Top Bottom