What's new

Ikon Tek tore my face up today

First use, new Derby Premium blade. One of the worst experiences I've had since I started shaving with a DE over 2 years ago.

I've used the Rockwell 6s on the R6 plate, no issues, Merkur Futur on the most aggressive setting, (with only one minor negative shave, but I think it may have been blade related) the Gamechanger. 84, a CB Karve with D plate, and a Muhle Rocca. Different blades in all those aggressive types of razors, all with little to no effort, let alone any problems.

The Ikon left my jawline red with razor burn and irritated, and I had several medium to large weepers going, and then more weepers under the nose of all places.. The tip of the stypic pencil was literally covered in blood after the first pass with it.

Shave soap was Stirling Barbershop, and I've used that same puck for a long time, with no issues or inconsistencies in the past.

Going to try a different blade once the face recovers a bit, to see if it was that Derby blade.

My experiences with other aggressive razors has been way different, and I was expecting similar results with the Ikon. What could be the differences in my experience?

What are your experiences with the Ikon Teks? I've read good things about them, and wanted to give one a spin. I like the looks, feel, and weight of the razor. I'm having serious doubts.

This almost sounds bad enough to consider that the blade wasn’t seated properly, the blade was damaged, or that the razor is damaged.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have the Tek but I don't have any of the other razors you mentioned. IMO, I wouldn't compare them; the Tek is a unicorn because it basically doesn't have a functional safety bar, because it's (inside?) the shave plane. Is this your first shave with an Ikon Tek? It took me about 12 shaves before I achieved a great shave, and that's after I had mastered the R41. The Tek is like an R41 but without the training wheels. I know YMMV and all that, but in my experience, the Derby Premium is not a very good blade to use with the Tek, maybe try a different blade. My Tek has a blade alignment problem. You should do a visual inspection of the blade alignment before every shave, until you can determine your Tek doesn't have this problem.

R

romsitsa

The Tek is a class of it’s own, compared to it any modern razor is at best medium “aggressive”. Ride the cap, strech problem areas and you will be good.

...What are your experiences with the Ikon Teks? I've read good things about them, and wanted to give one a spin. I like the looks, feel, and weight of the razor. I'm having serious doubts.
It is one of the most aggressive DE razors available, so I think it may take several trials to get the hang of it.

There is more than one way to go with technique, but I would try a smooth blade such as Wizamet Super Iridium (or Personna Lab Blue, etc.), a steep angle and minimal pressure. Your lather should be as slick as possible. By keeping the safety bar on the face, you stretch the skin in advance of the blade to prevent it from bunching up in front of the blade. Still, you may want to stretch the skin with your free hand.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a blade issue. If you were using a feather you would probably be needing some stitches right now. If this were to happen to me, I would never again use this razor. Why do you need to go through this painful process just to get a shave? I see no reason to shave with such a razor other than bragging rights.

Could be you got some of the bad QC pre-2016 Derby blades. Mine were bad and looked like this at 200X magnification:

M New 200X.jpg

Last edited:
@CallMeNugget
I own and regularly use a Tek and would make a few observations.

Firstly, I too found that the Derby Premium blade did not perform well in this razor or to be honest, many razors. My go to blade is the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow which is super sharp and worked just fine for me. Silver Blues also seem well suited.

I personally find that more aggressive razors need sharper blades as they seem to amplify the deficiencies of less sharp ones.

Secondly, the natural blade alignment on mine is pretty hopeless and I have to manually fiddle to get it right, maybe worth checking yours too...

Finally, I have found that a steeper angle works better for me with the Tek vs, for example, a Fatip Piccolo where a shallow angle is preferred.

Stick with it and I'm sure you'll get to the great shaves it is more than capable of once you master it's "character"!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The TEK is the 2nd most efficient and aggressive DE I own (just below the Roedter 1909). I use a steep angle, short & focused strokes and a light touch with the TEK. My preferred blade is the Wizamet Super Iridium. :)

With the above in place, the TEK provides me with extremely efficient, irritation free and bloodless shaves.

Just my opinion. :cool:

One of the most aggressive razors made paired with one of the worst blades by report. What could go wrong? :001_rolle
I think the intention was to pair a mild blade with an aggressive razor. So, that idea was good in principle. He needs a bit better blade for that razor, though. What's needed is something really smooth that will never pull or tug when using the Ikon Tek.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I loved and used the Tek for years. You are correct sir: it will demolish your face if you are not exceedingly careful.

For a better comparable razor - just as efficient, yet much gentler - I recommend the humble Yaqi Beast. It will set you back a whopping $10. It's pretty much all I use now.

The Tek is a class of it’s own, compared to it any modern razor is at best medium “aggressive”. Ride the cap, strech problem areas and you will be good.
This!
The Tek is a beast indeed. R41 is like a kitten compared to it. Try a different blade. Don't go for very sharp ones. I am surprised that after 2 years of DE shaving you went straight for that razor.
R6 plate isn't aggressive at all. That is why I sold the Rockewell pretty soon. And Rocca isn't aggressive too.

R

romsitsa

The TEK is the 2nd most efficient and aggressive DE I own (just below the Roedter 1909). I use a steep angle, short & focused strokes and a light touch with the TEK. My preferred blade is the Wizamet Super Iridium. :)

With the above in place, the TEK provides me with extremely efficient, irritation free and bloodless shaves.

Just my opinion. :cool:

Hello David, with steep angle do you mean riding the bar? If yes, I wonder how you do it. With really blade forward designs riding the bar never worked for me, as the blade was almost vertical to my skin.

OP

I own a few Ikon razor heads.

The Ikon 104 tech head is my go to razor - best DE razor shaves I have had.

The razor blades I have used with the 104 tech :
Feather, Astor BIC, Bolzano/Egypt, Voshkod and Astra SS.

Personally, I wish I could get it in SS - I don't like the DLC coating on the Ikon b1 standard otherwise I would have purchased it by now.

Sorry, to hear that you had a problem with the razor.
IMG_20211115_102221~2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it's a blade issue. If you were using a feather you would probably be needing some stitches right now. If this were to happen to me, I would never again use this razor. Why do you need to go through this painful process just to get a shave? I see no reason to shave with such a razor other than bragging rights.
The Ikon 104 tech is my go to razor and I use feather blades with it ( previous favourite was the R41 2013)

Excellent shaves .

And I will be using KAI blades too soon.For me it is a smooth and efficient razor head.

And why would someone want to brag ?

I am too old for such behaviour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom