What's new

Adventures with a Gillette Tech

Tech’s are one of the best razors around IMHO. When paired with a sharper blade such as a Feather, the shaves are just so much better.
My usual Sunday morning or afternoon shave is just this combo. Today's shave on a 24-hour beard went so well, I'm thinking of running an experiment, using the Tech/Feather team for an entire week, 3-4 shaves, and see how it turns out. Feathers do have a reputation for losing their sharpness pretty quickly, though.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My usual Sunday morning or afternoon shave is just this combo. Today's shave on a 24-hour beard went so well, I'm thinking of running an experiment, using the Tech/Feather team for an entire week, 3-4 shaves, and see how it turns out. Feathers do have a reputation for losing their sharpness pretty quickly, though.
I have found that the Tech allows the Feather the keep its edge a bit longer than in other razors. You might be able to get 4 solid, comfy shaves per blade with the Tech.

I have found that the Tech allows the Feather the keep its edge a bit longer than in other razors. You might be able to get 4 solid, comfy shaves per blade with the Tech.

I agree. I find that Feather blades last much longer in a mild razor. I can get at least 10 shaves with a Feather in a Tech or Feather AS-D2 razor. A feather in a more aggressive razor seems to last just two good shaves.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I got interested in this after selling a Cooncat Bob Bull Mastiff handled open comb razor I could never learn to like. So I bought a fat handled tech (no date code, diamond bottom plate) and a 1940's vintage Super Speed, two razors here that have a stellar reputation for both comfort and closeness of shave, with the right blade. I also bought quite a blade sampler. For reference, I've been shaving with a Merkur 34C daily for about five years before I got the bug to try different stuff recently.

I'll start today with my normal blade, a Gillette SP Black (India) along with Cella, a product I know well. I'll probably start a thread on my blade-by blade journey through both razors. Should be fun! Curious how I will like these compared to my 34C.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I did a reality check on my own technique with an English Tech and a new Spoiler.
I found that even I had been lazy and not paying attention to blade angle.
After correcting my error, I had one of the best shaves in a while.
We can all get complacent in our own perceived expertise and can drift off course.
I encourage folks, especially those who think they have it down pat, to really focus for one shave and see if things don't improve for you.

I did a reality check on my own technique with an English Tech and a new Spoiler.
I found that even I had been lazy and not paying attention to blade angle.
After correcting my error, I had one of the best shaves in a while.
We can all get complacent in our own perceived expertise and can drift off course.
I encourage folks, especially those who think they have it down pat, to really focus for one shave and see if things don't improve for you.

Great advice!

I also need a ‘reality check’ from time to time!! :thumbup1:

Finally got round to experimenting with my first tech I've had since February. It's a 1960's NOS model (no date code that I can see) with an aluminium handle. Initially I used a couple of Rapira Super Stainless blades, which have been working really well for me in just about any razor I've put them in, however in the tech they seemed to be just skipping over the tougher hair on my chin. I put this down to the handle not having enough heft to pull through tougher, more resistant hairs on my chin.

I appreciate that these techs are considered 'mild', but I wasn't prepared for this level of mildness. So I upgraded the handle to an Ikon stainless heavyweight handle and changed blade to an Astra SP. After a 4-pass shave I was left with a smooth shave with only the odd weeper where I did some blade buffing and j-hooking. The post-shave wipe down with witch hazel gave a little sting indicating that I had gone a bit too close in some areas.

Really quite pleased with this razor although I don't like having to do more than 2 passes to get a properly close shave. I guess I've been spoiled the last lot of months having used open combs pretty much exclusively (Piccolo V1, R41 2011) and a Merkur Futur, which can all get a BBS in just 2 passes. Maybe I'll just keep the tech for days when I have the time to do more passes like at the weekend. Suppose the next logical step is I upgrade the blade to maybe a Voskhod or Feather.

Anyone here have similar experiences with the tech, if so what has worked for you?

Thanks,

R
Coming from a Fatip OC, r41 2011 and Futur? I don't know what were you expecting. Unlike those beasts that Tech is very mild, not just mild. There is a very small probability you will be able to get a BBS in 2 passes with it even using a Feather.
Having a heavy beard I have always wondered why did Gillete made those Techs in the 50s so terribly mild. The pre war design was soo good. That said it didn't stop me from buying more than 20 of the milder Techs. :lol:

This morning I used the postwar fat-handled Tech in yellow gold again with the same Feather blade; this makes 2 shaves on it now. On a 48-hour beard with a mix of Barbasol 100th Anniversary foam and Trumper's Almond cream, resulting in a very thick lather, I got an excellent shave. We'll see what happens on Thursday!

Gillette Sterling made in India is similar to Tech.
I have been using one for 13-14 years and I can tell you it is not like any Tech. The have changed the head a tiny bit. More exposure than any Tech. Could be more dangerous in the hands of a beginner. On the recent batches the guard is sometimes bent, since they started making it of aluminium in the recent years. So it's a bit a hit and miss thing.

I've found the best Tech blade matches with Feather, Kai, Personna Med Prep and other blades on the sharper end of the spectrum.

Watch your shaving angle carefully, the effective angle is narrow. If you are off a little, you will not get as close. I've found it worthwhile to shave with the same razor for a week or so to get the muscle memory dialed in.

I prefer the earlier all-brass Tech models with the fat handle. You can use a heavier handle, but go too heavy and it throws off the balance a bit.

Yes I have found the Ikon stainless handle to throw the balance off ever so slightly, though not enough to effect the overall outcome of the shave.

In terms of angle, I've found moving the handle closer to the face to be more effective than lifting it up away from the face, is this sort of what you mean when you say watch the angle?

Thanks for the input,

R

Exactly this, Feathers for me are for when I have more than 24 hours of growth and want a quick, effortless shave. Using them this way means I usually only get 2 or 3 good shaves out of them, any more is asking for nicks and irritation. The only blades that last for at least 5 shaves have been Astra SP, Sputniks and Rapira Stainless. Voskhods, although I love them can rarely go beyond 2 shaves, which is fine considering the relatively low cost (£8 for 100).

Thanks,

R

Top Bottom