What's new

DE / SE conundrum: What's the best "auto-pilot" razor?

I had this challenge for a couple of years, a dilemma of sort.

My aggressive razors (R41, Feather AC SS and the likes) required me to pay very close attention to my strokes. So, I could never shave on "auto-pilot" with these.

My mild razors (DE89, Feather AS-D2, Hawk V3-SB) demanded maintaining a perfect angle, in order to obtain a close shave. Again, a lot of concentration, work to get the job done. Never enjoyed that.

And so, as of recently, I've been lucky in finding that Timeless .68 scalloped SS allows me to shave on auto-pilot. This is to say, it yields a BBS, irritation-free shave, without me having to worry about angle, pressure, etc. It's rather mild, yet extremely efficient at the same time.

This is smth. I've never experienced before with any other razor. How's that even possible?

And so, I'd like to learn more about this "phenomenon" - are there any other DE/SE razors that manage to combine the mildness with high efficiency?

Some of my other ramblings on this topic can be found here: Old routine no longer works: advice for modification? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/old-routine-no-longer-works-advice-for-modification.611821/post-11389060

What's your favorite "auto-pilot" razor and why?

Personally, I think the P076 razor from Haircut and Shave Co. would fall into that category. I prefer aggressive razors, and I was surprised how little blade feel the P076 has considering the amount of efficiency it provided.

Personally, I think the P076 razor from Haircut and Shave Co. would fall into that category. I prefer aggressive razors, and I was surprised how little blade feel the P076 has considering the amount of efficiency it provided.
TBH, never heard of it. This is why I love B&B, always smth. new to learn 😀

Can you share a link?

TBH, never heard of it. This is why I love B&B, always smth. new to learn 😀

Can you share a link?
I don't post links anymore. I can't keep the rules straight on when they're allowed and when they're not. I've had too many posts taken down because of it. Just Google Haircut & Shave Co. and you should find their website. I just finished my time with a pass around of the stainless steel P076 and I'm editing the video for my YouTube channel now.

I had this challenge for a couple of years, a dilemma of sort.

My aggressive razors (R41, Feather AC SS and the likes) required me to pay very close attention to my strokes. So, I could never shave on "auto-pilot" with these.

My mild razors (DE89, Feather AS-D2, Hawk V3-SB) demanded maintaining a perfect angle, in order to obtain a close shave. Again, a lot of concentration, work to get the job done. Never enjoyed that.

And so, as of recently, I've been lucky in finding that Timeless .68 scalloped SS allows me to shave on auto-pilot. This is to say, it yields a BBS, irritation-free shave, without me having to worry about angle, pressure, etc. It's rather mild, yet extremely efficient at the same time.

This is smth. I've never experienced before with any other razor. How's that even possible?

And so, I'd like to learn more about this "phenomenon" - are there any other DE/SE razors that manage to combine the mildness with high efficiency?

Some of my other ramblings on this topic can be found here: Old routine no longer works: advice for modification? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/old-routine-no-longer-works-advice-for-modification.611821/post-11389060

What's your favorite "auto-pilot" razor and why?

I never thought about it prior to your post, but I think I have to agree with you on the Timeless .68 in stainless (mine is also scalloped).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I can autopilot the Blackland Vector SB with a Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade. Not as efficient as the OC plate with a Schick Proline or Feather Pro Super, but I can still get plenty close. :)

The Timeless Ti 0.68 SB is also an autopilot razor, just not as efficient, nimble or maneuverable as the Vector.

Any of my Top Tier (English Hybrid, German #34, Canadian Pre- and Post- War and English Flat Bottom) Techs will also do the trick. Still give the "Autopilot" nod to the Vector.

The Schick Injector razors are very good razors. When I need a touchup razor for my trouble areas, I like to use one of my Schicks. They don't, however, get through my barbed wire beard as well on the first two passes.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Occam Oren with a Kai protouch Two plate. A schick blade on plate 1 is also relative harmless
Oneblade core with a feather fhs
Broman with a medium to sharp Gillette platinum
Smirn with a wizamet on 2
So the se win in my book.

I can autopilot the Blackland Vector SB with a Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade. Not as efficient as the OC plate with a Schick Proline or Feather Pro Super, but I can still get plenty close. :)

The Timeless Ti 0.68 SB is also an autopilot razor, just not as efficient, nimble or maneuverable as the Vector.

Any of my Top Tier (English Hybrid, German #34, Canadian Pre- and Post- War and English Flat Bottom) Techs will also do the trick. Still give the "Autopilot" nod to the Vector.

The Schick Injector razors are very good razors. When I need a touchup razor for my trouble areas, I like to use one of my Schicks. They don't, however, get through my barbed wire beard as well on the first two passes.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
David, you're like a shaving encyclopedia 😀, always superb input.

I will have to give them Kai Protouch Guard a shot. Perhaps they'll turn my Vector into an auto-pilot for me, too.

Occam Oren with a Kai protouch Two plate. A schick blade on plate 1 is also relative harmless
Oneblade core with a feather fhs
Broman with a medium to sharp Gillette platinum
Smirn with a wizamet on 2
So the se win in my book.
I get it's mild, but what about the efficiency? And how worry-free / auto-pilot are they?

Top Bottom